Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Need Clairity On My Sub/Amp Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Question Need Clairity On My Sub/Amp Setup

OK, so i have been browsing through the ICE section for some time trying to decide how i am going to set up my system. So far i have a JL audio 13W7 and the JL 1000/1 Mono amp to power it. All of the wiring and the Line output converter, but is running this powerful of a system on the stock battery/alternator a good idea? and what is an easy way to help the system if there will be a problem? Capacitor? Deep cycle Batt? Hook me up! Thanks!

Old 03-19-2009, 11:14 PM
i am running 900 watts rms to 2 kicker comp 10's and im getting dimming of the headlights at about 80% volume on the head unit. i have a 1 farad cap, this seemed to work somewhat. they where dimming real bad with a 300watt mtx sub at about 70% volume but now i am running much more power and the dim is slightly less (it is a bit noticeable but kind of a bummer it didnt solve the entire problem)

i will be upgrading "the big three" soon. these are the wires from chassis to battery ground, alternator to battery positive, and engine block to chassis strap. use at least 4gauge wire for this but bigger is better. look up the write up on this as there is a little more to it.

you have to fuse the wire from alternator to battery positive but i am not sure how exactly or what fuse to use.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Don't waste money if your going to put a line out converter in the car. Go with a real head unit, please!
To do it right, Ohio Generator alternator, a second battery-something of size, and a 200amp solenoid between the front and back batteries.
You don't need to fuse a wire between the alternator and battery. The Kicker amps are probably unregulated power supplies so their current draw isn't as bad, whereas the JL 1000/1 will want 100 amps when you get on it.
If you need custom coil springs for the back because of the weight, let me know because I can help you with that also.