Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Questions on aftermarket head unit / speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Questions on aftermarket head unit / speakers

This is a fantastic forum and I've spent a great deal of time getting informed preparing to install an aftermarket head-unit and replacing the stock speakers.

I don't intend to install an amplifier as I don't want to stress the electrical system of the Fit. I think replacing the speakers/head will be enough to suit my needs. If I need an amp later, I will consider one.

My main goal here is to do this on the cheap, so I plan on using my Kenwood KCD-X689. I don't really listen to CDs anymore, mainly I hookup my ipod the the Kenwood (via the disc-changer port) and I have a cable that plugs into the ipod dock. I can control everything but volume from the ipod and I really like this setup.

I want to know what speakers I can use that this head-unit will properly power. I don't claim to know much about this stuff but from what I can tell, the X689 has RMS Power Output of 22 watts and peak output is 50watts.

I was on Crutchfield and looking at these speakers: Polk Audio db651s

They are rated at power range: 6-55 watts RMS (165 watts peak power)

My main question is if these speakers will be properly powered by the Kenwood head unit.

Much thanks!

Old 07-05-2009, 04:40 PM
no u need to look at much more than watts there are omh and other things you need if you want loud than u need an amp. unless you have 4 15,000 watt amps you wont hurt the fit. if you replace the speakers and keep the fit HU you well be fine you just wont be loud PM me if you need any info my audio people well be happy to find out, and what year fit/jazz you rolling? mines an 09 sport

Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 PM
ive used a wide variety of speakers over the years and i have never been disappointed. any speaker you put in will handle the power your head unit puts out. i have heard some bad things about polk audio, but you cant always go by other peoples opinions. i would check out the user reviews and keep your options open.

the way your going about things is 100% correct. swap out the speakers and the headunit, and then if u need more go for it! the electrical system on the fit, believe it or not, is actually pretty good.

if your doing things in steps, id say upgrade the headunit first. the stock speakers are actually pretty decent. when i put my headunit in, it was like day and night, even with the stock speakers.

goodluck!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Can anyone give me a step by step on how to remove the headunit. I've been at it for about a week, but i don't want to break it by pulling to hard or anything like that.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by carneyman
Can anyone give me a step by step on how to remove the headunit. I've been at it for about a week, but i don't want to break it by pulling to hard or anything like that.
what version car? on the first generation fit, you have to take off the glove box and remove the pull tabs underneath that control the heat and so on. make sure to mark exactly where they were. then theres 1 screw under the middle knob. next is all pulling.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
the dash kit comes with instructions