Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

"Sound Deadener Showdown" products?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:02 AM
"Sound Deadener Showdown" products?

Hello all,

FYI: I've got a type R 10" powered by a MRP-M500, in a 1.1 cu ft ported (38hz) enclosure (by Qlogic), a JVC KD-R800 deck, and the two 6.5 inch stock speakers (not 4; it's a Canadian DX).

As you may already have guessed, the subwoofer isn't exactly "well integrated".

Of course, on the list is proper components, properly amplified, and an in-dash eq... but not quite yet. (soon though)

I am also noticing some rattling, and it's now time for the next step, which I believe to be vibration dampening and sound isolation.

Has anyone used the products from sounddeadenershowdown.com?

After perusing the website, I am struck by how different the author's opinions are than the norm on here and (almost) everywhere else (DIYMA, CanadianCarAudio etc). Whilst the herd is chanting the "cover everything in multiple layers of dynamat", this individual claims that products like dynamat (he sells "cld tiles" to perform this function) need only to cover 25% of the panel surface area if it is good dampener, and only if the panel is flat. Moreover, he insists that full-panel coverage is reserved for blocking external sound with a barrier (mass loaded vinyl), ideally separated from the panel by closed cell foam.

So I ask the Fit Freaks: Is he right? If so, are the masses simply following the mantra of Dynamat et al, who make money on the masses' foolishness? Are his products as well thought-out as they appear? Honestly, I'm quite gullible, and would appreciate your input.

Much obliged,

Shane

Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I think you'll find some disagreement on the 25% coverage figure, but in essence, he's right . . . Read lots of literature on the subject, you'll find that most people who know what they're talking about would agree. Mass loading products are designed to lower the vibration frequency in metal panels. They're not supposed to stop or absorb soundwaves, so it's overkill to use them as such.

The problem is, that in most applications where you see people publishing or talking about their work, their goal is competition . . . where SPL levels are MUCH higher than you could ever listen to in a real situation, or where the margin of victory for SQ lies in complete overkill. I think that's where we see the whole 'multiple layers of overlapping dynamat', and in a competition setting, excess weight and price is no object.

When I installed my butyl mat product (eDesigns Audio, I forget what they call it off the top of my head), I went with roughly 50-75% coverage. Start with a little, see how much improvement you feel when you tap on the panel you're working with. Then keep adding until you reach a point of diminishing returns. At least, that's what I did. My goal being the most improvement for the least amount of cost and weight gain. Of course, everyone's going to have a different opinion on where that point is.

Then I'm using a layer of closed cell self-adhesive foam (eDesign's v4) for sound absorption duties. I've done the doors with that, but haven't gotten farther yet.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:38 PM
"margin of victory... lies in complete overkill"

That makes so much sense. Thanks!