Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

How to remove front seatbelt bolt - the inner one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
How to remove front seatbelt bolt - the inner one.

My wife has had hip replacements and the inner seat belt on passenger side rubs on the incision area.

I want to throw a few washers on the bolt to extend the seat belt piece a bit more to the center.

I can see the end of the bolt but no idea how to get at the nut with all the plastic covering it.

Anyone have this apart? If so how? Is it just a matter of prying off the covers? Would it be easier to remove the seat?

Here is pic. Bolt is #26 in bottom middle in bottom pic.

Name:  ImageStreameraspx2.png
Views: 781
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  ImageStreameraspx.png
Views: 690
Size:  94.5 KB

Old 08-06-2010, 06:04 PM
FSM says you need to remove the passenger's seat to get to it. Also warns about discontenting battery and waiting at least 3 minutes to disarm the air bags.

The retractable lower seat belt connection needs to be undone before pulling the seats [simply pop the cover], then you push the seat forward and undo the bolts and unplug the connectors.

Not sure how much you can gain - might need a longer bolt 7/26-20 UNF is how they call it.

Hope that helps - come on back...

EDIT: How's the wife doing?

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 08-06-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
FSM says you need to remove the passenger's seat to get to it. Also warns about discontenting battery and waiting at least 3 minutes to disarm the air bags.

The retractable lower seat belt connection needs to be undone before pulling the seats [simply pop the cover], then you push the seat forward and undo the bolts and unplug the connectors.

Not sure how much you can gain - might need a longer bolt 7/26-20 UNF is how they call it.

Hope that helps - come on back...

EDIT: How's the wife doing?
Thanks KC. What is FSM ? Field Service Manual? I suspected I may need a longer bolt.

A little confused on popping cover. There is not a heck of a lot of room to work. I am wondering if I just try bending the whole thing towards the middle would work? It is just a flat piece of metal. Being old and decrepit myself this crawling around on hands and knees is no fun.

Wife is soso. One replacement works well the other not so well. Can't do much but go back in and redo it and no guarantees that would help. Besides the hips she does have chronic back pain she has lived with for 25+ years.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:46 AM
FSM=Factory Service Manual Not something you'd use in the 'field' in that it's about 5" thick!

The cover is on the retractable seat belt bottom - on the door side of the seat - it's plastic - not metal. Gently pry the bottom of the plastic cover. This will uncover the bolt [#30] that holds the seat belt in place. You'll nee to remove that first.

Then you remove the plastic end covers on both ends of the tracks. Remove the track bolts and the seat will be free. Tip the seat back and proceed with un-hooking the electrics from the seat bottom [one harness clip and three connectors] and it should lift out, allowing you to get to that bolt you're after.

Don't forget to pull both the battery ground first and the positive next. You do not want the air bags to pop, wait 3min+ before proceeding.

As I see it you'll be removing five bolts to get the seat free.

Hips and knees - they do wear out, youth has no idea. Fortunately mine are holding up well. Best to all..

EDIT: PM to you

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 08-07-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
FSM=Factory Service Manual Not something you'd use in the 'field' in that it's about 5" thick!

The cover is on the retractable seat belt bottom - on the door side of the seat - it's plastic - not metal. Gently pry the bottom of the plastic cover. This will uncover the bolt [#30] that holds the seat belt in place. You'll nee to remove that first.

Then you remove the plastic end covers on both ends of the tracks. Remove the track bolts and the seat will be free. Tip the seat back and proceed with un-hooking the electrics from the seat bottom [one harness clip and three connectors] and it should lift out, allowing you to get to that bolt you're after.

Don't forget to pull both the battery ground first and the positive next. You do not want the air bags to pop, wait 3min+ before proceeding.

As I see it you'll be removing five bolts to get the seat free.

Hips and knees - they do wear out, youth has no idea. Fortunately mine are holding up well. Best to all..

EDIT: PM to you
Thanks KC. Sounds like something to work on when I have the battery disconnected to do the throttle controller.

Your name Krimson Cardnal. Sort of reminds me of town I grew up near. Cardinal. The hockey and baseball team were called the Redbirds and had Cardinals on the crest.