Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

In Dash GPS Units

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 AM
In Dash GPS Units

Deciding not to use Honda's expensive navigation system in a recent Fit purchase, I have browsed a Navigation System to put in pretty soon.

I've been looking for one that's mostly reliable and naturally fast (at least for music) that mainly encompasses navigation and music (Ipod connectivity and aux, as well as maybe satellite); however the more I search, the less i'm thinking one of the companies entirely has their in dash systems together.
Each one seems to have a flaw of some sort, whether that's in starting up (Kenwood), navigation system, or something other.
I was wondering if anyone else has researched too or tested and have a legitimate in dash system, with the few feature's i'm looking for.

Ultimately, if not, I think i'll just take the alternative route of getting a GPS device and install Ipod connectivity to the stock radio.

(I thought the Kenwood Dnx5160 would fit the bill, but I read it's start up time is ungodly long. I don't mind if the GPS take's a while, but the music needs to be naturally fast as it is with aux. Just something simple and reliable, I don't need the latest gadgets.)

Last edited by Ekeh Mayu; 01-26-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Ive got a Pioneer F700BT and am very happy with it. Ipod integration works great. Have it hooked up to factory steering controls, which also works fine. The GPS function is fantastic, nice simple layout, enough POIs, etc.

Start up time is a little slow at ~30 sec. Though it's never really a problem. By the time I get settled into the car its usually ready.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
I've had many units over the years and load time can be something that is dependent on many factors. The unit itself will have it's boot up time, the nav will as well. When it comes to the music it depends on what the source and how buried you have the given source. I remember when MP3's first came out the more folders you used the longer it took to load the CD. I wouldn't buy one over another because of load times.

I will admit that as far as nav units go, I feel that the garmin/kenwood combo is one of the best out there. I've had one in the past and have two alpine's now. The nav that alpine offers is horrible at best and I've always thought the pioneer nav looked simple and unrefined.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Im gonna have to reccommend the unit I installed in my car, its the JVC KW-NV3HDT In-Dash Navi. Its got a nice big screen, simple controls, fast bootup and processing. I think it might actually have the fastest processor in an in dash navi currently. Also it has built in HD radio for better stations and traffic/weather info where available, very handy. Built in bluetooth as well!

The only things i can even slightly complain about is i can't reuse the stock usb in upper glove box because this has it in the front, although i actually like it more, its convenient. and the bluetooth connection fails sometimes but im starting to think that is my phone and not the unit, i have mannnny issues with my phone, so dont judge it off this.

if u have q's about this one let me know, ill take a pic installed if you want. I got it off Crutchfield scratch and dent for over 150 less and i still got free install kit(harness, trim kit, bezel, etc.) and it looked like new.