Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

wear holes in carpet

Old 05-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
wear holes in carpet

Damn the thin carpet in our Fits! I have 2 spots where the carpet has actually worn through...One on the passenger side where that part of the gas tank sticks up, my son uses it for a footrest; the other is where the mat in my footwell has rubbed against it (non-original mats I guess). So I have 2 white spots in a car barely 3 years old! Suggestions? They're not in places that are covered by mats.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Mine had a worn spot on the tranny hump, driver side. I had less than 11,000 miles and had the car less than a year. Dealer said they had never seen this before But they would replace it under warranty.
I just had it replaced last week. I am now getting the Weather tech digital mats & hope it will help a bit--although the worn spot is higher then the edge of the weather tech mat.
I realized it is the way I get out of that created the worn spot. I am making a conscious effort to get out of the car with both feet on the mat instead of my usual launch with right foot at edge of the trans hump. Check with your dealer to see if your car may still covered

Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
I have thought of snatching the seats and carpets out and having the whole floor of the car cover in spray on bed liner when ever my carpets become a problem. I have seen a cargo van and a couple of jeeps done that way and it isn't bad looking... It quiets things down, is easy to clean, doesn't hold odors from dogs or sweaty fat people and will never wear out... You can also drill holes an install removable drain plugs and empty a bag or two of ice on the floor to stay cool on those hot summer afternoons while driving home from work in rush hour traffic.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Two words, black sharpie.

I've had a hole in the carpet behind my dead pedal for about year now. I just marked up the white sound deadening with the sharpie and ignored it. I hate that its falling apart that easily but I'd rather do that than risk having a tech/upholstery person damage something or cause any new rattles from something not being reinstalled properly.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
If I had a black car a sharpie would solve a lot of the cosmetic flaws that have been incurred.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Two words, black sharpie.

I've had a hole in the carpet behind my dead pedal for about year now. I just marked up the white sound deadening with the sharpie and ignored it. I hate that its falling apart that easily but I'd rather do that than risk having a tech/upholstery person damage something or cause any new rattles from something not being reinstalled properly.

That's a pretty low-tech solution Hootie!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have thought of snatching the seats and carpets out and having the whole floor of the car cover in spray on bed liner when ever my carpets become a problem. I have seen a cargo van and a couple of jeeps done that way and it isn't bad looking... It quiets things down, is easy to clean, doesn't hold odors from dogs or sweaty fat people and will never wear out... You can also drill holes an install removable drain plugs and empty a bag or two of ice on the floor to stay cool on those hot summer afternoons while driving home from work in rush hour traffic.
I can see doing that...What kind of weight does that add? And how much does it cost? Hootie's solution costs -0-

Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Get some flexible carpet and pop it in there - I got some from miamicorp.com - got the ozite superflex black and redid the whole floor. It works really easily, you only need to make like three cuts in the footwell area to get it to lay nicely. You can use spray adhesive (they've got stuff for $10 that worked well) to stick it to your stock carpet. Tuck the edges at the console and along the door, done. I got 4 yards of the 80" wide to go firewall to tail, but you only need about 40"x36 to do one front footwell.

WARNING this does NOT duplicate the stock color or texture, so be aware that a partial job will look like a partial job.

BONUS this made the car slightly quieter - I had to turn the stereo's SVC down a notch.

They also offer vinyl heel pads - you could order one of those and glue it in place over your wear holes, fixed for under $10!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
I'm hoping for stockinteriors.com to carry Fit molded carpets someday. They have some quality stuff from what I've seen.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
I'd buy some super mat Mouse pads from Frys, cut those and sew them in there, thats some nice cushion lol(or just use some plain rubber). I always wanted to tear out the carpet and spray some liner in there, but then all my wires would be exposed and i'd have to find something to cover that up.