Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Decent deal for a single sub

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Decent deal for a single sub

I know a lot of people want a sub and not take up a ton of room, well this deal came across my email today and wanted to pass it on. Looks like a decent sub/enclosure and it's not too huge either and the price is pretty nice!

Pyle PL112SS Single 12" Shallow Bass Enclosure

Old 08-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Ewwww - Pyle

Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
No one buy this please

Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
but... Pyle is like high end...
for JC Whitney

There are some decent deals out there to be had but honestly, I have to agree with others and say, this isn't one of them. It's like getting a yugo for $20. It's a great deal if you were looking specifically for a Yugo. If you were looking for something called a car, it's a ripoff.

~SB

Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
For someone who is not an audio buff or looking for thundering bass this is fine. It's a sub and enclosure for under $100 its not gonna be a Morel or dyn audio sub but it will provide a decent low end response.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
For someone who is not an audio buff or looking for thundering bass this is fine. It's a sub and enclosure for under $100 its not gonna be a Morel or dyn audio sub but it will provide a decent low end response.
It's a fine sub for some High school Kid who wants something that is loud and cares nothing about audio. An entry level Sony or Pioneer would provide better sound quality.

Not Morel or dyn is an understatement, again, like saying it's not a Maybach or Bentley about a yugo. They are opposite ends of the spectrum and there's a lot of room in between like Boston, Infinity, etc... Back to the auto analogy... it's not even a Kia or Daewoo class but closer to a tata.

I understand that it is a good deal on a pyle setup, but I can't imagine that someone is out there specifically looking "for a pyle setup" Most everyone who buys pyle, buys it because of price and they don't know any better - likely they've had a father or grandfather that bought all of their car equipment from jcwhitney so that's where they shop too.

I have no idea why I just wrote as much about this as I did. Nothing against you spl, - probably just surprised that someone with audio experience would recommend something like this.

ok... done now.

~SB

Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
I recommended it because of price only, and there are probably a few people on the forums who are not audio nuts, and do not care if they have sundown or rockford or kicker in their fits, because they just want a little low end bass without a ton of space taken up. Is the sub cheap, sure. Is it pure crap, maybe to someone of my experience in car audio but to the average everyday driver it is a low cost way to add bass not take up a ton of room and spend very little. Could I build something better, sure could I build something better and add a sub to it for $79 no. My wifes sundown 8 is a perfect example, 1 8" sub in a 1cuft ported box that gets wicked loud for only 400watts of power. However even used the sub would cost at least $80, and the box was at least $40 in materials.

So bottom line, its a cheap way to add bass with a small footprint for someone who is NOT an audiophile. And btw, Pyle has not always been crap, they were pretty decent back in the late 80s early 90s but steered towards being very affordable vs a high performance driver/speaker.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Go with something like a Type S or E at least. There are plenty of fine subwoofers out there for comparable pricing that aren't garbage.