Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Which sub would work better for this amp? This is a bit overwhelming for me

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Question Which sub would work better for this amp? This is a bit overwhelming for me

I am thinking about getting this amp: Kenwood-KAC-8105D
Kenwood KAC-8105D Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

Amp:
and iam wondering which of these subs would work better for it? Both of these subs seem like they have similar specs... except the Kicker is a DVC and a 2 ohm, while the Kenwood has a single, with 4 ohm.... Would they both work equally the same? They are around the same RMS watts.. except the kicker is way cheaper... (thought the kicker should have cost more because it seems better cuz of the 2ohm and DVC)
1. Kicker CompVR 07CVR122 12" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com
2. Kenwood KFC-W3013PS Performance Series 12" 4-ohm component sub at Crutchfield.com

I been researching and studying this stuff for a LONG time and its still overwhelming to me... and i hear different things from different friends.. from my understanding the amp i selected has a 2 ohm and 4 ohm rating... but how do you select which out put it does...? because theres only 2 things on the terminal.. does it automatically do 2 ohm or 4 ohm depending on what kind of amp you wire to it? Or is there some setting on the amp it self or something?? I am just having trouble taking it all in and understanding it.

I was also told to wire the Kicker in a "series" like this if I gotten the Kicker, does this seem right?: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...2-ohm_mono.jpg
Would mean that the amp is using its 4 ohm setting? or is it using its 2 ohm setting because the sub is using 2ohms? On that picture it shows the amp doing 4ohm.. does that mean iam doing only 300watts and not 500watts (from the amp that i want to use)? I was talking to 1 person on crutchfield and he told me that i wouldn't be utilizing the amp that it would be using 300watts... and then ANOTHER person told from crutchfield as well told me the opposite.. saying that i would be using the 500watts in the series wiring... and that i would be over powering the sub.. which is a good thing......... can someone confirm what is right? or how it exactly works?

And if i use the kenwood.. i would connect it like this right? This one(2ohm) or this one(4ohm).... aren't these the same exact wiring setup??? what makes 1 have 2 ohm and the other have 4ohm?? I was thinking about just getting this kenwood the amp can only do 300watt in 4ohm mode.. and not able to go to a 2ohm..

Iam so confused.. i hope someone can help.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
To get the most out of that amp you need something that will yield a 2ohm load resting to that amp. So you would need either 1) a single 2ohm sub or 2) a dual 4ohm coil sub.

I will explain a little further so hopefully you understand.

First Parallel wiring what this does is cuts the impedance in half so if you have a dual 4ohm dual coil sub and you wire both coils in parallel ( + to + and - to -) you will have a 2ohm sub.

Second Series wiring what this does is double the impedance so if you have a dual 4ohm dual coil sub and you wire the coils in series ( + coil 1 to - of coil 2) you then have a 8ohm sub with the remaining + and - output.

So to get the 2ohm load you desire with a single sub you will need as I said a single dual coil 4ohm per coil sub wired in parallel or a single coil 2ohm sub. The single 2ohm coiled sub is going to be very difficult to find so if you plan on sticking with only one sub then a dual coil 4ohm will be your best option.

Here are a few options for a dual coil 4ohm sub that I found around your same price range.

Infinity Reference 1262W (REF1262W) 12" Dual 4 ohm Subwoofer

PowerBass S-124D (S124D) 12" Dual 4 ohm S Subwoofer

JBL GT5-12D (GT512D) 12" Dual 4 ohm GT Car Subwoofer

If you really want to get an amazing sub then I would bump your budget just a tad and get this sub right here.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...SD-Series.html

I have recommended them to a few people locally who are flat out floored at what they can do with these subs. I am also building a box for a single 10 model of this sub today for a Ford Lightning and it's gonna be awesome.

Hopefully I have explained it well enough you understand now, but if not here is a link to an AMAZING site for information.

Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers

Old 11-06-2011, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
ahhh i wish there was a way i could give you more rep!!! because you deserve it!!! thankyou... that made it so clear.

the RMS for all these 4 ohm DVC are so low.. like around ~200watts am i better off just using one of the ones i listed? Because the amp i listed is a 500watt rms in 2ohm... what exactly do all of these 4 ohm amps output @ 2ohm? they don't really list any specs on 2 ohm.. is this safe?

out of your list, i was thinking about getting this one, but it doesn't list anything about it doing 2 ohm in whatever watts rms. would it be safe if i put it down to 2ohms @ 500 watts?

heres some other ones i found that i kinda like with 4ohm dvc:
1. Kicker Comp VR ($84)
2. Rockford Fosgate Punch P2 ($115)
3. Alpine ($127)
4. Pioneer ($80)
5. Hifonics HFX12D4 ($40)
6. Hifonics ZRX12D4 ($70)
7. Crunch GPV12D4 ($60)
8. Clarion WQ3010D ($95) Amazon price of clarion ($75)
9. RE ($150)

Ok iam down to this list.. so far... iam thinking about getting a Crunch.. or a Clarion. or a Kicker(will be overpowering with this one i think)... out of that list.. what do you think?

Last edited by Vash; 11-06-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly I would recommend the Sundown, why? First it will handle MORE than 500watts RMS, and second it will outlast any of those other subs and it will be a bigger stand out when it comes to sheer volume. I know you are probably not going to care too much about how loud it gets, but the sundown sub is just a LOT better built sub.

I guess it would be like comparing a set of brake pads, when you look at ceramic pads they cost more, but the out perform regular $10 pads from autozone. It is the same thing here, the kicker will work, but the sundown will out perform it by leaps and bounds.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
ummm link of the sundown?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-09-2011, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Fit4 is spot on all of his recommendations and I will add that with most car audio purchases that a little more money tends to go a long way. I've never used sundown stuff but I've competed against many competitors that have had nothing but good comments about the equipment that they were using.

Better equipment tends to last longer and will withstand abuse much better than most all entry level setup.