Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

having some electrical issues.... help?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:49 PM
having some electrical issues.... help?!

Ok so this morning I drive my car to the gas station which is a few blocks from my house. After getting gas my car wont start up and it seems like the battery is dead. The guy gives me a jump start and I head to work.....on the way my headunit keeps turning on and off and doesn't play music while its on. When I got to work which is only about 15 mins away the indicator on the battery said its at a full charge.

its an 08 fit sport with an eclipse head unit and a 1600 watt dhd amp. battery is stock... and u guys know how small that thing is. everyone thinks its a motorcycle battery when i bring it in.

after work i did some inspection. and everything seems ok.... except the head unit is acting up to start i had the alternator and battery tested. the alternator is good and the battery is reading that it is bad. can anyone explain to me why my radio would turn on and off while running because of a bad battery? because i do not understand it. heres what the test on the battery test reads.

if anyone could help me out here id greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Years ago Sony radios used to very sensitive to voltage swings. If the battery is dying than it could be a random voltage drop that could cause the radio to act up. Since the test states that the battery has a dead cell I would replace it and see if your problem goes away.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by lashlee
Years ago Sony radios used to very sensitive to voltage swings. If the battery is dying than it could be a random voltage drop that could cause the radio to act up. Since the test states that the battery has a dead cell I would replace it and see if your problem goes away.
thank you! i didnt know that about the head units. i was thinking the same thing ill just buy a new battery and hope for the best.... ive been to 3 different places today and none had a battery to fit the car im just hoping the head unit starts working after i replace it and theres nothing more. cuz thats just my luck.

driving without music is so depressing

Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Before u go out and buy a factory (or factory style) battery, i'd HIGHLY recommend getting an upgraded battery.

I'm running a 850amp Shiruken battery to power my 1000watt system. This is a deep cycle battery that cranks out 850 CCA to start the car. Oh and it's the best battery for any system!
SHURiKEN SK-BT20 (SKBT20) 850 Amp 12 Volt AGM Power Cell Battery

Now i'm running that small battery because I also have the Password:JDM carbon fiber intake and this is the exact same size as the Odyssey battery they wanted to sell me for $200. The one i linked is NOT a direct size replacement for the OEM battery.

I'm pretty sure this is the same dimensions as the stock battery... except it's 2 inches shorter which is no problem.

SHURiKEN SK-BT35 (SKBT35) 950 Amp 12 Volt Car Battery Power Cell

Don't forget to order the battery terminals.

SHURiKEN SK-SAE35-100 Pair of SAE Posts with M6 (SKSAE35100)

Oh and if you want real efficientness in your stereo, i'd highly recommend doing the BIG 3 upgrade. Do a google search and u will see what i'm talking about.

Last edited by koolkevin1107; 12-27-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
Before u go out and buy a factory (or factory style) battery, i'd HIGHLY recommend getting an upgraded battery.

I'm running a 850amp Shiruken battery to power my 1000watt system. This is a deep cycle battery that cranks out 850 CCA to start the car. Oh and it's the best battery for any system!
SHURiKEN SK-BT20 (SKBT20) 850 Amp 12 Volt AGM Power Cell Battery

Now i'm running that small battery because I also have the Password:JDM carbon fiber intake and this is the exact same size as the Odyssey battery they wanted to sell me for $200. The one i linked is NOT a direct size replacement for the OEM battery.

I'm pretty sure this is the same dimensions as the stock battery... except it's 2 inches shorter which is no problem.

SHURiKEN SK-BT35 (SKBT35) 950 Amp 12 Volt Car Battery Power Cell

Don't forget to order the battery terminals.

SHURiKEN SK-SAE35-100 Pair of SAE Posts with M6 (SKSAE35100)

Oh and if you want real efficientness in your stereo, i'd highly recommend doing the BIG 3 upgrade. Do a google search and u will see what i'm talking about.
thank you so much kevin. ive seen a lot of posts from you on this forum and youve helped me multiple times in the past.

i actually have a 1600 watt amp and this little guy has been powering it for 3 years. i do have my concerns about an upgraded battery and i was hoping you could help clear some things up for me. im usually pretty good with this stuff, but ive always put in factory style battery in when needed.

the rating on the stock battery is 340 cca and a max load of 170 will having something much more powerful interfere with anything else? from my understanding of things, the battery only supplies devices with power when something draws it so theres not too much power just exta or unused. right? right now i have the stock 60 amp (i think its 60) alternator and i will not be upgrading that. thats just something im not considering doing.

im also pretty sure after i change my battery (which i know i need to do anyway) im going to have the same issues with the headunit. if thats the case im going to hand this off to someone else because after installing the headunit.... i refuse to ever touch it again.

oh and one more thing? what are those terminals for? judging by the pic i cant quite figure that out lol.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 PM
also thinking of getting the optima d51r yellow top. i heard it fits just gotta make sure. ive heard nothing but good things about optima batterys.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 PM

with my nice new battery the problem with the head unit still exists. with alternator and battery completely ruled out, its safe to say its the headunit itself or some sort of wiring to the unit. wish me luck at finding this....

Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Crazy! Good luck on your search. All three of the eclipse H/U's I used in the past always worked well for me.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Older eclipse headunits had a problem where the laser wouldn't read discs due to low power provided to them, this may or may not be part of your issue, when I had my eclipse it was told to me by eclipse to make sure the accessory power was wired directly to the battery. As for the upgraded battery you won't have any issues and the big 3 would be a good idea, you can see it done on my install log. You can also PM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:40 PM
i am really hating life right now. turns out, it is my head unit after all. and i will be needing to have to buy a new one. in the process, i must have blown a fuse or 2.... ive checked most of them but its dark, and right now im very aggravated. tomorrow ill pull out every fuse and get a head unit and ill be bumping again in no time.

right now i have no radio, no dome light, no key chime, my doors dont open when i push the button on the key, and whatever else decides it wants to piss me off. oh and my car ate a fuse whatever is "small light"

i guess my head unit didnt like the jump start???

Last edited by MetalHead88; 12-29-2011 at 07:42 PM.