Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

rear speakers output

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
rear speakers output

Can anyone confirm if the rear speakers of USDM 08 Fit Sport have lousy sound compared to the front speakers?

My rear door speakers really contribute nothing to the sound. If I fade all sound to the rear they are of very low level and provide no bass.

if it turn fader all the way to the front and then to center again i really can't hear the contribution of the rear speakers to the overall sound of the car.

is this because the rear output is that low or do the doors provide so little spl for them? or is something wrong with my deck?

all I have is stock.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 PM
I have a 2012 sport and the sound system is decent for what it is.I think if you are sitting in the back seat the sound is better.

The speakers are low in the doors so from the front seat you mainly hear the front 4 speakers.If the rear speakers were in a deck in the hatch area you might hear a more full sound.

A head unit and speaker upgrade will fix all of this of course

Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 PM
The Front and rear speakers have the same part number.

As mentioned above, speaker placement play a big part in the audio quality perceived by the ear.

Rear speakers are normally fillers. Meaning they just add a little completness to the overall sound. This is why savvy audiophiles can completely cheap out on rear speakers because they know they do not play a major role in sound quality of your system.

In my 2012 Fit Sport I have a set of tweeters on my dash . This elevates the sound plane to the listeners ears.

Some speakers have tweeters built in at the door level. Although seperate tweeters and mids are better than just mids....the sound plane is less then optimal....unless your feet have grown ears!!!

Bass travel through all types of material because of the low frequency. This is why you can put a woofer anywhere in the car.

Mids travel somewhat and should be placed close to the listener

Tweeters only reproduce the high frequency spectrum of the sound but are easilly attenuated by anything in it's path. They should be place directly by the ear.

Longer story short

The mids in your front doors send medium frequency to your ears.

The mids in your rear doors have the higher frequency part of the spectrum of the sound they emit, attenuated by the seats and the head liner....So it sounds muffled...and useless...like you said.

The best and cheapest way to improve your sound is to invest in $90 tweeters (including installation) form a place like Best Buy or Future Shop. This way the bottom speakers will be used solely for lower frequency reproduction and your new tweeters will bring a nice rich sound to your stock system.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 08-15-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i have a pair of db525's sitting in the basement. these are polk coax's. i think im going to swap out the rear door speakers for the hell of it.

advise? (yes/no)? i have adapters that can fill the gap if the doors are indeed a full 6.5" diameter.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i have a pair of db525's sitting in the basement. these are polk coax's. i think im going to swap out the rear door speakers for the hell of it.

advise? (yes/no)? i have adapters that can fill the gap if the doors are indeed a full 6.5" diameter.
You have a 2012 right? meaning the speakers are 6 1/2 in the rear and they are new.

If you swap out with the 5 1/4 you will probably not notice any difference at all.

If you put them in the front you will notice a significant amount of loss with reguards to low/medium frequency output.

There is no harm in putting them in the back....nor is there any advantage...at all. It is a weaker speaker than what is there. But because it is in the back you will not notice any difference.

There is a feller on here who was told by a shop to install 5 1/4's all around. He paid a pretty penny for the set-up / install etc. He lost all the deep sound of the stock speakers. He regretted that decision and was going back to stock.

I would like to say that there is no downfall to what you will be attempting but that would be untrue.

By popping panels and removing / damaging water barriers...you risk damaging the clips and all that...$14 buck a pop at Honda...

Not recommended!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ yep, mine is '12. hummm... i think with the coax i would be able to get a tad more clarity out the back but you're saying it's not worth it, huh? there's not much bass coming out from the back either.

ive done stereo installs in the past where i swapped out the rear with coax and the sound went kinda tinny and reverted to a full range non-coax speaker. i suppose this can happen again. im not too worried about the weather sealing as ive done plenty of stereo installs with no such issues.

guess i will leave it stock for now.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 PM
It's funny in my older age (48) I seem to be more content with factory sound systems.
I still play CD's in my Fit and the sound is not bad at all.

I've had cars in the past with dedicated amps/speakers etc that reproduced some incredible sound.

I think my all time favorites are Harmon Kardon and Soundstream amps and Boston acoustic speakers.

I like Jazz so I don't really need super high volume, just good clean sound at moderate levels.If I feel the need to upgrade the Fit's audio I already know what componet's I'll use.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
zilla- i think im with you. im pretty close to your age...well, at least in my 40's.

anyway i too think the '12's factory sound system isn't too bad. it's not great, i think it can use a tad more bass for fill. i would either swap with polk db6501's or just add an active self powered mini sub like this kenwood one to the factory unit.

considering the GD, the GE is SO EASY to remove the head unit!!

Amazon.com: KENWOOD KSC-SW10 Dual 5X7 inch 150 Watts Powered Enclosed Subwoofer with Remote: Car Electronics Amazon.com: KENWOOD KSC-SW10 Dual 5X7 inch 150 Watts Powered Enclosed Subwoofer with Remote: Car Electronics

Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 AM
^^^ Looks like a great idea and it would not overpower the other speakers.

op sorry for the semi jack lol

Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Confirming Original Post and Question

To the OP, I can indeed confirm what you're talking about. I have a 07 Fit Sport. You'll notice that you will get more sound out of the rear speakers when you change the EQ setting, but it's still not balanced with the front speakers by any means. For example, "Smooth" seems to give a little more to the rear speakers in the mid and low range frequencies. However, it's still like night and day comparing the low-end and all-around full sound of the front speakers vs. the rear.

On a totally different note, my wife informs me (the Fit is her daily) that sound is now entirely going out abruptly while driving. The head unit stays on, but no sound. I just replaced a rear speaker monday and really hope I didn't frack something up--don't see how I could have, I mean, really? Taking the panel off is no prob, but while putting it back on I almost had a violent child-fit episode.

Has anyone else encountered this sort of issue with this (or another) head unit? Just suddenly not sending power to the speakers at all? - Sound returns after a while; well, today she's not telling me if it's working again, so that may be a dead head unit. (sigh)

Last edited by stellcon; 08-24-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
stellcon, the main reason why I've been poking around on here lately is 'cause I've lost sound from my left-front mid-bass, while the tweeter still works. I figure after five years, it's time for the full upgrade, rather than trying to suss out what the problem is and spend good money to replace inferior parts on a semi-adequate system.

So I'm shooting for the moon and going for the DD Pioneer AVH-P8400BH with MB Quart PVL216's in both doors. Most likely subwoofer to come, after I see the results of sound deadening combined with the new system. And figuring out where to locate it without sacrificing the space and utility of the car. Rear hatch, maybe.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM
That sounds like it'll be sweet. Turned out my issue was due to a loose speaker connection. lol, easy fix.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stellcon
That sounds like it'll be sweet. Turned out my issue was due to a loose speaker connection. lol, easy fix.
For all I know, that might be my issue also. But if I'm going through the trouble of car surgery, I'm going for it all. I've always been annoyed how the head unit only shows so many characters if it's reading a song title, instead of scrolling the whole thing (like my $50 Sandisk does, sheesh).

So, off with it's head, I say!