Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Determining where to place soundproofing material?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Determining where to place soundproofing material?

Hi everyone:

So I've been doing some research on this and I want to see if my theory would work. And from the helpful threads I've been reading it seems that the two main things to quiet out the cabin are as follows:

Insulating the car - preventing the sound from traveling through the air.

and

Deadening the car - preventing vibrations from traveling through metal.

So to take care of the former, the quick and dirty way is to stuff and fill holes and cavities throughout the car to prevent the sound from travelling through the car.

As for the latter I think the placement gets a lil more complicated, and this is where my theory comes into play (and please feel free to correct me if I'm completely off my rocker.)

So my theory is this. If I take the Honda and blast music at specific frequencies (without blowing speakers) and rev the car up and feel around the car where the body vibrates most... Deadening these spots should provide the best places to start deadening the car.. Am I correct in assuming that?

I'm just thinking is there a more empirical way of guess where to maximize sound deadening material then just the "place down and listen after" method.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for all your comments!