Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Share your MODE stories.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Question How do I put it in "refresh mode"?

Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
dont worry jimmyparky yes u gotta recline the backseats a lil for the refresh mode to be perfect.
I've got my nice little Honda Jazz now, but I can't figure out this "refresh-mode" to the seats. I have seen pictures of it where the front seats is totaly flat and then the back seats is down as normal. Look at the picture, and the front seat is as far forward as I can get it.
Cant find any way to adjust the back seats more back either.
Is it not possible to put the seats in refresh mode on the European Jazz?

Old 02-21-2007, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Odd that. Try using the same catch that you flip the backseats flat with, but instead of flipping the seat forward, push it back a bit... That makes a little more room for the seats where they meet. Keep us posted regarding whether or not you guys get conception mode... I mean snuggle mode. Errr. Refresh mode.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Well I was out in the car right now and tried again. When lifting the backseat a little and then press down both the front back and the rear seat down at the same time with some force I could manage to get them both flat. But that did not seemed normal at all. Dont think it is healthy to the back seat to get that much force on the front.

When lifting the release handle for the rearseats I can't get it more to the rear, It only moves more forward. It is hinged down at the floor and the locking mechanism is in the side of the seat back.

Another thing: can you put the front seat back flat forward? I only manage to set it about 45 degrees forward until it stops.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmph. NA market ones, the rear seatback reclines an extra couple of inches. That's an important part of the whole refresh mode thing.

Oh, and yeah, forward almost 45 degrees, ours are the same...

Old 02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
How do you recline the back seats extra 2 inches?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, the way you do it is to make sure the rear seat is titled back. On the top of the rear seat, with the same lever that you use to fold the rear seat forward, lift the lever and push the chair BACK. It'll lock in again.

With the front seat, when you move it forward, don't let it lock in, it remains unlocked going forward as far as it can.. If it locks in, then it has moved back about 1/2 inch which will keep you from allowing you to recline the front seat flat. So while it is far forward, recline the seat and it should FiT perfectly.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Topher1, how tall are you? Unless I can sleep in a Fit, I can't buy it. It's going to do extended road trips. I'm six feet even.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Hi glasseye. I'm also 6' tall. Unfortunately, being this tall using refresh mode, you have to shorten your body a few inches, by bending and curving in certain ways (not a very comfortable sleep). Your feet will be hanging over the front seat, underneath the steering wheel (after lifting the steering wheel up as far as it goes). I recommend refresh mode only for getting in a quick nap if you're tired, but not for a night's sleep. It's useful for laying flat on your back if you can actually sleep that way, but I can't. I only use refresh mode for a power nap if I'm feeling drowsy. Refresh mode is like trying to rest on uneven ground, but still beats any other car on the market right now. If I need to sleep in the car (which I've done several times now), I really like folding the back seats down to make a perfectly flat bed, with tons of space around me for comfort. Hope this helps!

Last edited by TOPHER1; 04-08-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
I just noticed that you said you're going to be doing extended road trips. In this case, I really suggest folding the rear seats down to make the flat "bed". You will sleep much more comfortably. It would also be a good idea to invest in a small, but comfortable camping matress to keep in the car.

Welcome to FitFreak glasseye!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Topher1. Looking at the advertising pix, it seems to me that you could sleep with your head towards the rear hatch and your feet on the passenger seat folded flat. You'd need to take a big, thick foamy to raise the floor level up to the same as the front seats in order to have a relatively flat bed. Does this make sense? No way can I sleep on my back.

Thanks again for any hints. I'm a landscape photographer and I want to be able to sleep "on location"

I'm sooooo close to ordering one! (Instant delivery in Canada now)

RED!

Old 04-08-2007, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
We use refresh mode or road trips for one of us to sleep. Front seat passenger moves to the back and puts her feet up for a catnap. LOVE IT!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Red face

Some people have had trouble folding the seats down into refresh mode.
Here's how to do it:

Pull the lever on the rear seat, and recline the seat back until it locks into place.

Here's how far back the seat should recline.

And here's how far the seat bottom slides back when reclined.

Lift the lever under the front seat, and push the seat as far forward as it can possibly go. The lever will not lock back into place, if it does, the seat has moved back too far.

Remove the front seat headrest. Lift the side lever to tilt the front seat down. Lift up the rear seat bottom so that the top of the front seat and the rear seat meet at a slight angle. Lift the side lever again while pushing down on both seats. They will end up perfectly flat with one another. Raise the steering wheel column all the way up to give your feet a little extra space.

Here's the end result. It's not 100% flat, but it's comfortable enough for a quick power nap.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Great post, great pix. I don't think 'refresh' mode is gonna cut it for me for real sleeping. I need a dead flat space to sleep.
Besides, by the time I'd stopped, moved all those seats around and got squared away, I'd be all awake again.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
This one's for glasseye. Here's how the Fit folds down to make a comfortable "bed" for your roadtrips.

• Slide both front seats all the way forward.

• Lift the lever on the back seats to lower the seats into the floor.
(The rear seat headrests fit perfectly under the front seats).

• Slide the front seats back into position.

Voila! With a sleeping matress, it's perfect for tall people like us!

Old 04-08-2007, 04:34 PM
That looks great! How far is it from the hatch to the seatbacks? Looks like you'd have to sleep diagonally. Can't wait to order my Fit!

Old 04-08-2007, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
140 cm (4½ Feet). Sleeping diagonal works. Or you can leave the front seats pushed up, sleep with your head by the hatch, and let your feet hang slightly over the edge.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by TOPHER1
Remove the front seat headrest. Lift the side lever to tilt the front seat down. Lift up the rear seat bottom so that the top of the front seat and the rear seat meet at a slight angle. Lift the side lever again while pushing down on both seats. They will end up perfectly flat with one another. Raise the steering wheel column all the way up to give your feet a little extra space.
Does the headrest have to be removed for Refresh mode to work? I put seat covers over my seats and now I don't have easy access to the headrests. They were cheap seat covers and didn't have holes in the for the side airbags, so I cut my own, so if I remove the seat covers, take off the headrests, and put the covers back on, the holes will be too far down. Can the front seats be moved up enough so the headrests do not have to be removed?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Used the Cargo Mode not to long ago

Old 04-09-2007, 01:58 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by glasseye
Topher1, how tall are you? Unless I can sleep in a Fit, I can't buy it. It's going to do extended road trips. I'm six feet even.
magic seat the front passanger side and fold back the reer pasanger side and stick a pellow next to your dash on the front passanger side walla you got a 7 foot bed stop complaining TUDAH <3

Old 04-09-2007, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LizardKing
Does the headrest have to be removed for Refresh mode to work? Can the front seats be moved up enough so the headrests do not have to be removed?
Yes, the headrest has to be taken off for refresh mode to work. I take it the seat covers you have are one-piece, that cover the entire seat, including the headrest. You could try using the good idea s0x suggested, by lifting up the rear seat, and lowering the front seat to make a reverse bed (sleep with your head at the front, with your feet hanging over the headrest). Then you won't ever have to go through all the difficulty of removing the covers each time, and the holes you've already cut for the side airbags will still be in the right place. Good thinking s0x!

Quick Reply: Share your MODE stories.