Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

power pack amp w/ stock HU

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 PM
power pack amp w/ stock HU

Hey guys, just wondering about using this power pack amp with some reference series fronts and 6.5 inch rear subs on the factory headunit.
Amazon.com: Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier: Automotive Amazon.com: Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier: Automotive

Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
I actually use a very similar Alpine unit, and I absolutely love it. I didn't stay with the factory headunit though, I installed an Alpine IVE-W535HD (needed the bluetooth and I love the touch screen). I'm using a JL 8" microsub under the back seat and it sounds amazing. Were you planning on putting in aftermarket speakers as well or just adding the sub?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
The infinities are good speakers, but I haven't heard of the Earthquake subs. You will definitely need that Clarion Amp to push them though, should be a fairly easy install. I went with Rockford T-series for my internals and the JL microsub, my mirror almost shakes off lol.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:45 PM
yea normally I would do something similiar, but I have extremely bad tinnitus, so I cant handle much bass. I figured that this setup would be sufficient. Also how deep are the doors in these cars? I see that stock speakers are around 2.5 inches deep. What are the deepest speakers that you can run?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Fair enough, the rockford speakers i mounted were easily 2.5 deep (possibly more).. But i picked up mounting brackets from crutchfield so I didn't have to worry about it. Plenty of space and even had enough to fit the cross-over inside the door.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Subs require a proper enclosure to work effectively. Mounting them in the doors may seem appealing but it really isn't the best place to put subs - unless you do a custom enclosure in that location.

Also, the Clarion power pack is a speaker amp, not a sub amp. It has a selectable high pass filter but no low pass filter. So the amp will send both high and low frequencies to your subs. The sound will be terrible since subs are not typically made to reproduce frequencies above about 200hz.

A good sub option for your setup would be a Bazooka tube or similar powered sub. They feature factory wiring hook ups and good bass response without shattering windows.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by carolina_cruising
Subs require a proper enclosure to work effectively. Mounting them in the doors may seem appealing but it really isn't the best place to put subs - unless you do a custom enclosure in that location.

Also, the Clarion power pack is a speaker amp, not a sub amp. It has a selectable high pass filter but no low pass filter. So the amp will send both high and low frequencies to your subs. The sound will be terrible since subs are not typically made to reproduce frequencies above about 200hz.

A good sub option for your setup would be a Bazooka tube or similar powered sub. They feature factory wiring hook ups and good bass response without shattering windows.
No, no, no, there is a very nice thing called a crossover used to block the frequencies from speakers that you dont want them to reproduce and also these subs are designed to work without an enclosure. Also the speakers only handle 60 rms the power pack puts out 45 rms per channel, thus giving more than enough power for the system.