Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Swimmer Boy
I haven't found any wheels that are the same width and offset as stock, have you?
there are a few options, mostly oems from other cars. but there are a lot of options under 15lb.

WHEELWEIGHTS.NET

Old 11-13-2007, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by t3chn0rav3rb0y
im planning to compete. I am going to run blox 24mm anti sway bar, spoon front strut tower bar, c piller bar, rear strut bar, j's racing x bar, mid bar, and 16x7 +40 offset with Potenza RE-01 205/45/16...i heard i might have some tire rub with those, so... i just want to know some feed back
wat do u mean by J's Racing X bars? are u talkin about the one dat Miracle X Bars use on the N1 concept Fit?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ABuckFitty

The Fit isn't a competitive autocross car. It can be a lot of fun but you're not going to win much. If your serious about competing, pick a different car. Look at the national events results at SCCA.org. You'll get a good idea of what's working for each class.
Boy you're SO WRONG !!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
i'll agree with him that it's not the best choice for any class on a national level, but on a local, regional, or possibly state level; it can be competitive. in all honesty, is anyone here trying to compete for a national championship anyways?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:16 PM
I say make the mods you want and go out and have fun. You might be competitive some days and not others, depending on who and what you're running against. Enjoy your car and work on your driving skills and you'll get a lot out of it.

I didn't get into autocross initially to be competitive, but just to drive the snot out of my car and enjoy modding and tuning it in a competitive environment. With my new Fit, I'm hoping to be a competitor regionally in stock class, and so I'll have to be smarter about mods, tire choices, wheel alignment, etc. But it's still mainly about having fun, getting out of the house and talking smack with other car nuts.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carlosalicea
Boy you're SO WRONG !!!!!!!!
He's really not wrong... Don't take it as a hit to your pride. The car is a lot of fun to autocross, but really can't touch the top dogs in stock or sts.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by gimp
The car is a lot of fun to autocross, but really can't touch the top dogs in stock or sts.
You may be right about STS, but I hope to prove you wrong about Stock class.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Skimmer
You may be right about STS, but I hope to prove you wrong about Stock class.
I'd love to be proven wrong. It's going to be some work to beat the minis!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Guys,
as much as I love my Fit and obviously you too, lets stick to facts!
Regardless of class to run it in, Fit has ECU/fly-by-wire throttle tuned for MPG, higher center of gravity, ton of safety equipment cars did not have 10-15 years ago, no independent suspension or double wishbone suspension, lack of availability of tuning parts in comparison to cars of yesterday,.... Shall I go on?

Mini is in trouble against my 1990 CRX at 2160lbs!
There is no substitute for weight advantage in corners. HP does not help you corner!
Let me point out that addition of Koni yellows, Kg/mm springs, ST rear sway bar, stock double wishbone suspension, 15x7 wheels with AutoX soft compound tires makes huge difference. Add DC sports headers, full exhaust, Crane Cams ignition computer, mild cam (for torque) does not hurt either.
In mid '90's I had no problems being ahead of M3's, 911 turbo's, Mazda Rx-7's, 328's, 348's... by more than 2-3 seconds. Some even more.
LOL! My friend was right there with me in 1980 VW Rabbit GTI MK-1.
As a matter of fact the car with best time of the day was either 1987 CRX of Bob Endicott (5 time national Solo2 Champion), built Miata, or '60's Lotus replica with 13B engine!
Driver skill is up to 70% of the game too. Give the best AutoX car to a not so good driver and it will be mid pack at best.
I only went to an introductory course at Jim Hall go cart school, but I blasted canyons (and paid huge price there too!) for years daily and nightly. I was consistently in top 5 in C-Street Prepared and chasing Endicott most of the time. Best result was 3rd behind Endicott and his wife (multiple time National Ladies Champion in Solo2). I was the only car among first 10-12 cars that was not trailer queen. It was a daily driver with removed spare tire, jack and a woofer box. The rest of the full stereo was still in the car including amps! Yokohama 008 RS(road racing compound, not even autoX compound!) lasted me 13 months and over 20K miles of autoX, canyon blasting and daily driving on the car.

Being smooth is the fastest way around. Exceeding traction limits(braking lock up, acceleration peeling, getting sideways) looses time!
Stay in stock class, have a blast and you will still catch lot of better cars by surprise with much better times than theirs!
Just try it and I guarantee you ton of fun. You will become a much better daily driver too.
Young, new drivers must! AutoX should be mandatory requirement for them in my opinion.

Ivan

Old 12-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah, a CRX is one of the best auto-x machines invented, that's for sure. No way a Fit could contend against one of those.

For a look at some of the preparation behind one of our top competitors -- the Mini -- take a look at this website about a car prepared last year by one of the editors of Grassroots Motorsports magazine:

Grassroots Motorsports » 2005 MINI Cooper
(click to "previous" pages to see more)

This car cleaned up in its Florida region races and also some national-level events, thanks in part to a very experienced driver. They also may have had access to more mods than the average person because of the magazine's involvement. But the website gives you some idea of the mods and money involved: two kinds of Koni shocks, multiple sets of tires and wheels, lots of dyno time to test exhaust systems, etc.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ciburri
Stay in stock class, have a blast and you will still catch lot of better cars by surprise with much better times than theirs!
Just try it and I guarantee you ton of fun. You will become a much better daily driver too.
Young, new drivers must! AutoX should be mandatory requirement for them in my opinion.

Ivan
+1. slow is smooth. smooth is fast. major autox truism. the discipline you learn by being smooth and not improperly exceeding the limits of a stock car pays massive dividends in other forms of motorsport.

to encourage you, don't pay attention to whether or not the fit is a competitive car. what you really need to look at is 1. how consistent your times are 2. your improvement relative to similarly equipped (weight, tires) peers as you gain experience.

when you get good, then you think of ways to get a fit to be faster than a mini or a miata. because you'll have to be pretty f-ing to do that. so for now, focus on getting good.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
That is a "big budget racer" even by autox standards! LOL!

One single worthy investment that pays off more than any other on the AutoX course - dedicated autoX soft compound tires! They are not the cheapest tires, but they are a must for dedicated autoX driver.
Scrape some money together and buy them if it is the only thing you get!
Even a poor man/woman can become competitive overnight with them! Consistency brings sponsors. Sponsors bring products and money to get to the top. Everybody started small.

Get a set of cheap wheels. It is not a beauty contest! Stay small, 14" is perfect, 15" is OK. NO RUBBER BANDS NEED TO APPLY! Even steelies and put them on! It can shave as much as 3-5 seconds easily on a 55-60 second track. That is the difference between being in top 5 or dead last among 15 cars in the class!
Perfectly set up autoX car on street tires will not even make top 10 with a good driver. Stock car on autoX dedicated tires with a good driver will beat it any day!

Regardless of money spent and what kind of car you have, you will have fun and learn a lot - guaranteed!