Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Possible Stupid Question.... OEM/Aftermarket Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Possible Stupid Question.... OEM/Aftermarket Installation

Is it possible to purchase aftermarket parts and have them installed at a Honda Dealership?

Are there aftermarket parts that meet OEM standards that can still be covered under the cars warranty?

Car isnt under my name, so all changes have to get approved through my parents so i went to the dealer to get brakes checked... Tuns out i need a $250 service... New pads and machine the rotors... My plea to my parents was that i can purchase aftermarket parts which will perform way better them OEM parts for less $$$...

My reasoning for thinking this can be done, is because as i was in Honda's show room. I saw aftermarket springs being sold... Now if Honda is selling the springs wouldnt that void a warranty...

Thanks...

Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
Generally when a manufacturer sells performance parts, its the way you keep the warranty. IE, Toyota with TRD, Chevy with GM Performance Parts, and of course honda with HFP etc.

As far as brake rotors go, and pads, its a wear and tear part, so I doubt it would be covered either way unless there was a malfunction in them...and I have seen more brake malfunctions because of mis-installation rather than bad parts. $250 for putting the rotors on a lathe and literally 5 minutes each side to take caliper off and swap pads over....wow. They are making a killing. From your post, you sound young, so sometimes you should listen to your parents as they may be making the monthly payments on the cars and you have to go by their rules. However, a true performance upgrade will cost around 150-200 in parts. Good set of rotors by a known brand name (dimpled, or slotted, not cross drilled) with some HAWK pads and you are good to go.

But whatever you do, avoid the cheap ebay setups that are cross drilled. They most likely are not built to the same quality standards as the true brand names in the industry, and with brakes, I would not chance it.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
You can buy aftermarket products and have them install at a dealer.
They will just rape you on installation charge and most will not offer warrenty since it's aftermarket parts.
Your better off getting the work done at some type of shop and it will cost less. Another option is to find a member on here that can do it for less.
Many dealers do sell aftermarket parts that are not manufacture by them (like Gardena Honda selling Password JDM stuffs). They will warrenty the stuffs they sell. If you go to a different dealer then they will not honor that warrenty since it's not a honda product and they didn't sell it to you.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if your parents are paying for the car and repairs, i guess you have no choice but to follow their decision. heck, they have the title to your car. lol

but yah, ive found some dealers install aftermarket bits. they will warrant the work, but not the parts associated with the install unless it was HFP bit.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Anything that has to do with "Stealership" will rape you. Any aftermarket products can ruin your warranty. So be careful

Old 10-03-2009, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
^i think, for example, if you do springs and lower your car...and your exhaust is messed up, the dealer will fix the exhaust if its under warranty. they cant say your springs messed up your exhaust...