Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Installed swift springs....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Installed swift springs....

These things are phenomenal!!!, the car hugs the road, it feels planted even with the factory damper, back and forth tilt during gear change is gone.Install was pretty easy having an extra hand could help during some parts, diy guide was very helpful. I'm gonna post some pics soon as I can take them, what suspension mods do you guys recommend, some that will compliment the springs, and make a noticeable difference.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Awesome! Swifts are super high quality springs.

Do you have a GE or GD? First thing is to take into account is your tire pressures, which with proper tuning, will help you get the most out of the springs and is the best starting point from which to start tuning. Then, the next best upgrade is tires, obviously, as well as better dampening (options limited currently.) Then if you are not satisfied with the characteristics of the way it turns after trying different combos of the above suggestions, add a rear sway bar. Relocating the battery to the hatch will also be of help, and so will adding a more driver oriented seat, so you can maximize exploring the limits of the new mods with more confidence and control (safety.) You might loose an airbag though unless there is a good factory option to swap in. That should keep most people happy.

Adding wheels into the equation is not the fastest way to get to a good handling car for the money. Spend that money on the other items and run 205s on the stock rims. Upgrade rims later using same tires if you want to.

Aftermarket wheels, however, run in lower offsets than the stock ones in almost every instance, so even if they are lightweight and supposedly offer better performance from the tires, you suspension geometry is adversely effected, and may slightly offset any gains that are to be made through width of the rim; which is more slight, in my opinion, than people want to give it credit for as a performance mod.

What most are feeling with rims is the lower offset. I'd prefer the sharp turn in and the dynamic camber curves the stock offset affords unless looks are a priority. Not a huge deal, this offset part, but will keep the Fit feeling sharp and "darty."

Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
+1 for rear sway bar (progress brand) and 205/50 tires. Upgraded brakes (pads+rotors+stainless braided lines) would also be on my list for upgrades.

I wouldn't ever relocate my battery to the trunk for a daily driver, but to each their own.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Going with a lightweight battery at least. I'm just trying to figure out cost effective ways to balance the weight. I think that the Fit can get a pretty large benefit and effect on handling by messing with the distribution because it's heavy in the front. It might not gain any ultimate performance increase, but it should be noticeable in the drivers seat. In some cars this stuff doesn't make as much difference, but with the Fit's light weight, some of the more minor things are noticeable. My philosophy towards tuning these days is to do what you can to make the car easier to drive faster for you, not necessarily in the hands of The Stig. Like you said, to each their own. The more balanced the chassis, the more comfortable I am in high speed corners in it.

Brakes, yeah, those too. Very important part of the equation.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Boy I can't wait to get some lower springs into my fit. It's my dd and it drives great already. Many people are supprised at how responsive my fit is. Where'd you get ur swift spring & how much? Is there a certain rating that you look at when you buy springs? I just don't want slammed to the ground with only 1 person in the car. Got pics of before and after?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
204snic - The cheapest I got mines from was on eBay from a company that was selling them for $175 shipped. That is the super cheapest I've seen them for. But I think they are sold out now. with the swift springs you will not be slammed with only 1 person in the car. I've had my car with 4 people and no scraping at all. Unless I am super careless and drive super fast over a speed bump. Truthfully take pictures of the swift springs is kinda odd. Because when I saw pictures of peoples drops I loved it. But when I installed the springs they look more dropped than they were suppose to. I guess its just the pictures that comes out that make it higher than they suppose to be.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:28 PM
ill try and get some pics in here with my tech savvy wife of before and after sad thing is they are with cell phone, i got them from evasivemotorsports $254 to my door, i have gone over several speed bumps, irregular inclines getting into gas stations and such, with 3 people in the car no rubbing at all, and no bottoming out. I have upgraded to a 16 inch lighter wheel with 205/45's dunlop diezzas. i did have to align the car after install, not because it was pulling to any side, but just cheap insurance. danger what color are your springs? i looked on ebay and only saw sprint springs when i searched for swift

Last edited by Itsslow; 10-28-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the great info guys. I've had this for 4yrs, but no mods yet. But I look forward to pepping it up with some goodies pretty soon.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:32 PM

Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 PM

Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 PM

Old 10-30-2010, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
do u need to buy an alignment hardware kit if u get these spring?
if yes how many?
my car is 09 base,
rims = 15x7, 41 offset, 5.55 backspacing

Old 10-30-2010, 01:56 AM
no you do not.

the factory alignment equipment will be able to accomodate the lowered height.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Nope the alignment was done without any kit

Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Itsslow - I like it! Looks nice. I have a black fit also. Working on getting a winter car first before I lower the fit. Maybe a cherokee to plow through the wisconsin winter weather fest.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
Awesome! Swifts are super high quality springs.

Do you have a GE or GD? First thing is to take into account is your tire pressures, which with proper tuning, will help you get the most out of the springs and is the best starting point from which to start tuning. Then, the next best upgrade is tires, obviously, as well as better dampening (options limited currently.) Then if you are not satisfied with the characteristics of the way it turns after trying different combos of the above suggestions, add a rear sway bar. Relocating the battery to the hatch will also be of help, and so will adding a more driver oriented seat, so you can maximize exploring the limits of the new mods with more confidence and control (safety.) You might loose an airbag though unless there is a good factory option to swap in. That should keep most people happy.

Adding wheels into the equation is not the fastest way to get to a good handling car for the money. Spend that money on the other items and run 205s on the stock rims. Upgrade rims later using same tires if you want to.

Aftermarket wheels, however, run in lower offsets than the stock ones in almost every instance, so even if they are lightweight and supposedly offer better performance from the tires, you suspension geometry is adversely effected, and may slightly offset any gains that are to be made through width of the rim; which is more slight, in my opinion, than people want to give it credit for as a performance mod.

What most are feeling with rims is the lower offset. I'd prefer the sharp turn in and the dynamic camber curves the stock offset affords unless looks are a priority. Not a huge deal, this offset part, but will keep the Fit feeling sharp and "darty."
If your going to relocate the battery in the trunk it would have to be a drycell, otherwise that would just be plain stupid... sure some people do it, but not everyone is smart (and even smart people do stupid stuff) if you do go with drycell, well the weight won't be as important, and the cables you'll have to run will be a big downside... (heavy+expensive) you might keep the battery under the hood and put 50 pounds of sand in the trunk, that will give you better weight distribution! lol i'm just joking, i don't want to bash on your ideas, i know you're only brainstorming....

If you want to save weight, the first place where you'll be able to do that is unsprung weight, wheels, tires, etc... then you could remove mats and put lizard skin instead... then trim, CF, etc...

Look at the "biggest loser fit edition" in the GE threads... you'll find it interesting!

Edit: sorry OP for threadjacking... back to subject now... nice stance btw! i wish i would've gone with swift instead of Tanabe... but anyways, they still corner like crazy!

Last edited by cr4zy3lgato; 11-04-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
I only suggest it because of the limited options for weight transfer while also reducing overall weight. I guess I am misinformed on the ease and cost of doing this, as I've seen it on quite a few cars. I am very well aware of the potential tuning options for the fit, and the benefits of the items you mentioned.