Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

'05 RSX base Hawk HPS pads

Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 PM
'05 RSX base Hawk HPS pads

Hi FitFreak members. I just recently purchased Hawk HPS brake pads for my 08' Fit. Part# HB418F646. I picked them up at PepBoys for $30.00 due to a "special" they had on them and it sounds too good to be true. But they go for around double the price online that sells them.

So for those of you that used HPS pad from a 05' RSX. I posted pictures up for you guys to see and clarify if these are the real deal:
Name:  Photo8.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  32.8 KB Name:  Photo9-1.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  33.8 KB Name:  Photo7-1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  32.0 KB Name:  Photo11.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  35.1 KB
It even says HB418F646 on the back. But like I said.. only $30.00.. Kinda fishy too me.

Everywhere i checked online they seem to have a gap/space down the middle of them

Im not sure if these are HPS or ceramic... if they are the right ones.. im gonna buy another pair. Im bugging out cause this is such a great deal. haha.
Thx alot

-Thao

Old 11-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
they should be legit if they're from pep boys right? i didn't know they sold hawk pads though. i think you totally beat me on smart shopping

Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Technically they should be legit lol. So yeah I just got lucky on that deal. You should go to your local PepBoy near you to see if they are also carrying this deal. I didn't know that PepBoys sold Hawk pads either, until a buddy of mine told me they did and i jumped on them especially when i found out right there and then that they were only $30.

I know for sure a couple of FitFreak members here have these HPS pads on there car. Please LMK if they are the same ones you got.
Thx...

-Thao

Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
here's photos of mine and the packaging it came in. everything looks completely different from yours - i don't know what that means though haha. there's also the part number stamped on the backside of each pad (minus the 646).

Old 11-15-2010, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
you've been had my friend.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
here's photos of mine and the packaging it came in. everything looks completely different from yours - i don't know what that means though haha. there's also the part number stamped on the backside of each pad (minus the 646).

The last set I put in my Laser looked like that, expansion channel and everything. Same blue box too..

Old 11-15-2010, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
I bought my set of HPS & HP+ couple years ago and they were in this type of package:

Name:  Photo7-1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  32.0 KB

And both of them had yellow part# at the back. I bought them from Lordco here in Canada.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by spoonek4
I bought my set of HPS & HP+ couple years ago and they were in this type of package:

And both of them had yellow part# at the back. I bought them from Lordco here in Canada.
Different dress up for different markets maybe?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Different dress up for different markets maybe?
Don't know man. POSSIBLY? HPS pads aint that expensive when they're at retail anyway. So I'm not surprise that they sell them at 30usd just to free out some space in the parts room.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Don't know man. POSSIBLY? HPS pads aint that expensive when they're at retail anyway. So I'm not surprise that they sell them at 30usd just to free out some space in the parts room.
....Maybe. But did you have the gap or expansion channel in between like doctordoom did? Mine did not come wrapped up all in clear plastic nor did it have a string around them to keep them together. They were just like that in the box. And all of them have all the stamp on the back of them saying (HB418F.646 HAWK-7266-2-EF L477-1) if that helps.... So its fishy to me. Guess im ordering them online now.. lol.

JCrimson- I hope I did not get ripped off.. lol.. If so I still have the receipt for them.

So, anyone else who has these can chime in before I return them.
Thx a lot for the help so far you guys....

-Thao

Last edited by 240sxs13sleeper; 11-15-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
I can't really remember now sorry. Didn't use Hawk's product for too too long.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
sorry thao i don't know either. you can contact Hawk and they should be able to give you a clear answer. maybe it's just a packaging and design change they had. i don't think pep boys would be selling knockoff brake pads, would they? you have a store receipt right? as long as you didn't buy it from someone in the parking lot who is a pep boys employee or anything weird like haha

let us know what you find out! good luck

Last edited by doctordoom; 11-15-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks ya'll for the help so far. I actually thought about it being an older design. I didn't think about calling Hawk them-self for, great idea, a must do tomorrow...lol. And no I didn't get them from someone in a parking lot.. haha. The receipt was the first thing I asked for. Then about the return policy when I was paying for them, fishy remember ...lol.

I will let you guys know more about it tomorrow afternoon when I give Hawk a call, thanks to doctordoom lol. But as of now, for the FitFreak guys who has these on their car, I would appreciate it if you can check for me or let me know if these are HPS pads or not.
Thx again...

-Thao

Old 11-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Hey FitFreak member, I got great new... I called Hawk a few moment ago. A customer service sent me to a tech guy. I emailed him the same pictures I posted. I asked him why my brakes pads are a solid piece. He said to read him everything on the back of the brake pad. I did. Then he said those are it, just an older model brake pad. (Don't know if I still believe him, idk im paranoid about little things like that :/)
....So Im going to install them Thanksgiving week and see what happens.

For those of you guys that are rocking these HPS pads, what significant difference compared to stocks should I be looking or feeling for after installation? Well.. after the burnishing break it of course.

Thanks again!

-Thao

Last edited by 240sxs13sleeper; 11-17-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
nice! don't worry yours are real, just older, which is probably why you got them at such a great price.

you will have better stopping power with these pads, but they're not noisy either. it's a very mild street/performance pad. i can hear the pads right when the car goes from a creep to a complete stop, but they're as silent as the stock pads otherwise.

when you install your new pads, make sure you reuse the stock shims and apply brake grease in all the right places so they don't squeal.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
nice! don't worry yours are real, just older, which is probably why you got them at such a great price.

you will have better stopping power with these pads, but they're not noisy either. it's a very mild street/performance pad. i can hear the pads right when the car goes from a creep to a complete stop, but they're as silent as the stock pads otherwise.

when you install your new pads, make sure you reuse the stock shims and apply brake grease in all the right places so they don't squeal.
Everything he said is exactly right.

If you plan on hot lapping or just like the idea of having an overkill brake system.. to take advantage of the full potential of these pads upgrade your brake fluid too.

Because even though you don't have to worry about the pad material wiping, or outgassing as badly as stockers, but the DOT3 will still boil at the temperatures these pads can sustain and produce fade.

There is a light squeak when transitioning from say light trail braking to full stop or lock up, like I see on my older cars, like the Laser. But outside of that split second squeak I have no other issues with them

Proper break-in is essential. So find yourself a safe stretch of road, or a highway loop, usually better late at night, so you can do the progressive heating and cooling the instructions outline.

The only one time I really got to exercise the brakes and got the rotors glowing on the Laser (cryo-treated brembos) the pads kept on giving consistent performance. This took like 15 laps around a road course though.

3,000 miles later and I still have the same pads and rotors, no cracks, warping, glazing, run-out or wiping!

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-17-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 PM

same..i bought a set here in vancouver and they were in that package..

Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by 90jdmcivic
same..i bought a set here in vancouver and they were in that package..
Thx for the confirmation!