Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

more mileage, more wheel travel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:28 PM
more mileage, more wheel travel?

Hey guys and gals, Just need some info and thoughts on what needs to happen here. Ive been rollin on my 16x7 traklights since oct. Since that time I now have 82,000 on the ODOM. Ive noticed that with the stock springs and shocks ( original) have gotten a lot of bounce and nose dive lately. But also, the wheels are still rubbing and bottoming out. Now the front end on this fit is waaay high, and Id like to change that now. Do I go with the spring/strut or is coilover the way to go? I'm just trying to do the mental math here with the cost of new struts with the springs vs. the coilovers (blackwerks?) I still got kids riding in the rear, so I need daily driver comfort and not washboard feel. But like the tenabe issue, I dont need a springy experience either. Do your guys' high milage GDs get this much wheel travel? I really didnt think that 16s would do it. They are the same HPO as the Honda wheel. I dunno?!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
the bouncing... is probably because your struts have gone, "buh bye."

time to replace them. if they're anything like my friend's corolla, they have a manufacturer's "recommended" 50k replacement cycle. I had to replace both rears on a Nissan Pathfinder (both popped, and the SUV bounced like boat on waves). They were originals too, close to 100k on the SUV by then.

In my opinion... if you're not looking for anything other than stock ride... just replace the struts/dampers with direct replacements... that's the cheapest option.

if you want a little more handling... you can go with replacement struts/dampers and then replace the springs with aftermarkets (like Swift or whatever you prefer).

If you go by my friend's corolla... the springs also have a cycle, of about 100k. I don't know for sure what symtoms show up for the springs though. maybe sagging (lower ride height). if it is sagging... the spring itself might be close to failing (the metal is about to give out, ie metal fatigue).

there aren't a whole lot of aftermarket strut/damper only options... it's mostly either direct replacements or coilovers.

"coilovers" are most likely the most expensive options... but really only needed if you want to go a bit more "hardcore" than daily driving your kids.

I find it interesting... the MacPherson spring and strut combo... is by definition, the same thing as a "coilover." Both, spring... on a strut. anyway...

I just put 10k on my GE (had it for 7 months)... and I swapped out the springs for Swift springs. But I don't plan on changing the strut/dampers until the cycle is about up... then I will see what aftermarket options there are.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, If I went with the Honda struts and shocks, it would be real pricey. OEM is always that way. But I did find some Tokico (blue) set 2front, 2rear with some vogtland springs for 385.00. Brand new from some random JDM biz! That would be hella cheaper than OEM struts by themselves. I was looking at some Blackwerks coilovers during the holidays, but to no avail. I couldnt find'em again for that price. <- 7 bills? not bad huh? But I have seen alot of these Fitters with the Tokicos on and that is a good sign. We will see what the woman says! I get my tax rebate soon and that will be the end all say all. thanks for the help goober.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
I wasn't talking about OEM shocks and struts... at least, not from Honda.

There are brands like Monroe and KYB that produce parts that are used as direct replacements. And they should be much cheaper than OEM... if you can find them.

But if you like the Tokico... then I guess you should try them out.