Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

09 Fit Sport Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 AM
09 Fit Sport Brakes

What would be the best aftermarket brakes for my 09 Fit Sport? Wheels are original 16".

Last edited by JasonFancher; 06-24-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
This should work on your car too...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tallation.html

Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Ok. Thanks, those do look pretty nice and I think they would work out well for what I do.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
They are strong/powerful brakes…they would work great in any racing conditions too. I just don’t know if anybody has installed them on a GE8 yet. Aftermarket brake catalogs show that the front brakes are interchangeable between GD3 and GE8.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jodele
They are strong/powerful brakes…they would work great in any racing conditions too. I just don’t know if anybody has installed them on a GE8 yet. Aftermarket brake catalogs show that the front brakes are interchangeable between GD3 and GE8.
I'm sorry if I sound a little stupid, but I'm still new on some of the terms used, but I see a lot of people use "GD3" and "GE8". What exactly does that mean?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
GD3 is the chassis/model number for the '07 - '08
GE8 is the chassis/model number for the '09 - '11

Old 06-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Ok. I was looking for that info earlier and couldn't find it anywhere. Looking in the wrong spot most likely. Thanks. I will definitely look into doing those brakes here real soon.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 PM
"Best" means different things to different people. What are you trying to do?

If you're trying to get rid of fade on the street, a new set of more aggressive pads and plain rotors may be all you need- $150ish
If it's for autocross, still more aggressive pads and a set of upgraded (slotted- still not a fan of drilled) rotors may help- $2-250ish add in Goodrich stainless lines and quality fluid- add $125
For track days, that ITR setup may be a good call, or a big brake setup- $350-1k+

Also, understand that good braking starts at good tires- if your tires aren't gripping, the best brakes in the world aren't worth a damn thing. If you're having issues with braking, unless your OEM stuff is worn, your biggest shortcoming would be OEM tires if you're still on them. They're not so great for grip, I'm afraid- Mark W.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm a old fart, but I am an engineer. It's fun to soop-up your Honda Fit, but modern small cars are designed so close to tolerance today, that all you may succeed in doing by going to such wheels is loosing gas mileage, shortening the life of your wheel bearings, CV joints, and making your speedometer/ODE inaccurate. I know -it's a looks thing and the chicks probably dig it, but cars are not like they were in the 1930s when hopping-up a Deuce Coupe (1932 Ford), Woody or even later cars like the Mustang could turn the car into a high performance auto.

The problem is that the Fit already IS a high performance auto for it's class. -They are getting every drop of performance out of that car they can. The only thing I can think to do might be to put the next wider tyre on the same wheel size (and a higher quality tread). Also, the anti sway torsion bars do not work that well and might be improved to good effect.

Frankly, I'd like to see what can be done to improve the gas mileage. I believe gas is being eaten up by a multi-port fuel injection system that allows more fuel in the chamber than can be combusted. This is done to extract low RPM torque and thus higher performance at the expense of fuel milage. -Hence the special oil and higher heat values. They really need a second spark plug (the Sport has this I think) I'd settle for a tad less pickup and 10 more mile per gallon.

Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BixLives
They really need a second spark plug (the Sport has this I think) I'd settle for a tad less pickup and 10 more mile per gallon.
No, it doesn't. Same engine.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:16 AM
For one, I'm surprised to hear an engineer (what kind?) who thinks so highly of ANY factory-stock vehicle. EVERY vehicle sold (yes, even $15K Hondas) leave a lot on the table in the name of crash-worthiness, fuel economy, and NVH, not to mention reliability and dumbing down to keep Joe Bag O'donuts consumers happy that it's no wonder are cars are getting heavier and heavier. And as CAFE standards bite down, more and more is left on the table in the name of pleasing the gov't.

Let's start from the top. Adding new wheels- as long as you're not putting 22's on your Fit, the weight won't be much of an issue. Most aftermarket 15-17" wheels weight under 20-22 lbs. a piece, and roughly the same for the tires, so they'll line up pretty closely with OEM pieces, which are always rather heavy in the name of strength. As long as you keep the overall diameter near to stock, your speedo will be fine- it takes ~1/4" to throw it off roughly .8 MPH, so that shouldn't be an issue. And since most people go to smaller diameter wheel/tire packages, they'll be reading high. I'm surprised the old "it'll make your ABS not work" line wasn't in there!

Next up, the fine folks at Honda have been making incredible engines for decades. If you honestly want to tell folks that the L15A7 is the pinnacle of their engineering achievement, you have a LOT to learn. First up, it lacks VTC, makes under 100 HP/L (a benchmark of "hot" Honda engines), lacks direct injection (allows cleaner emissions, higher compression ratios, and more power with lower fuel consumption), and doesn't get THAT great of fuel economy.

Also, if you're looking to gain fuel economy, a wider tire isn't going to help- it'll only increase rolling resistance, especially with a grippier tire. Not to mention aerodynamic drag (yes, 10 extra mm DOES make a [small] difference), or increased unsprung weight.

As for the "improving fuel economy" bit, how if MPFI hurting fuel economy? And why do you think it's running rich, or allowing more fuel in the chamber than can be combusted? The L15 is a pretty lean-burning engine. Sure, direct injection (see above) could help it run even tighter, but that's not a pop and swap, end-user modification. That requires a whole new cylinder head and fueling system. Running rich (too much fuel, to simplify) does NOT extract low RPM torque or higher performance, bud- it saps both. Also, these engines run on run-of-the-mill 5W20, nothing "special" about it at all. Honda runs the same stuff in a lot of their engines.

As for needing a second spark plug, even high-and-might Mercedes-Benz gave up on their old Twin-Spark systems years ago. There are VERY few systems running dual spark plugs anymore, partly due to cost, and mostly due to the fact that since the late 20th century, advances such as coil-on-plug ignition have rendered it useless in most cases. Off the top of my head, the only system I can think of that uses twin-spark is the Chrysler 5.7L Hemi, and that's largely because those pigs have the semi-hemispherical combustion chamber that never runs clean, even with dual-spark.

And last but not least, my favorite- you want ONLY 10 more MPG? Honda engineers (the real ones) would trade a testicle or first male child for 10 more MPG. Hell, they probably would for 3 or 4! That's a ~30% increase you're talking about there, man. A REAL engineer would understand that to do that, you'd need to improve aerodynamics to a true Kammbach ideal (figure cD of ~0.25 MAX), reduce rolling resistance to minimum levels (not wider tires, by the way!), drop several hundred pounds, and work the HELL out of the L15. In other words, a pipe dream.

I'm not one to attack people, but if you claim to be an engineer, please, don't spout such rubbish. I'm NOT an engineer, but I've been working on cars for quite some time now. I've hand-built race car engines, and tuned fuel management systems on the dyno. I've spent time in the wind tunnel, and raced on every surface imaginable. I've met REAL engineers, and if one of them spouted any ONE of the lines you dropped up there, he'd be jobless REALLY FAST. Please don't try to pass off "knowledge" again- Mark W.