Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

machining wheels to a higher offset?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Post machining wheels to a higher offset?

hello fitfreaks! just thought I'd inquire and gather you're opinions on the subject.

I use R1 Racing Milano's 17x7 with 40 offset with 205/40/17 Nitto Neo Gen's, on stock suspension, and rub on highspeed humps. I used to rub a lot more until I grinded parts of the bumper mounts. I thought about fender rolling, but hesitant in that matter. So it came to mind that maybe, just maybe, having a machine shop grind some of the wheel surface mount (maybe about 3-5 mm.) to increase wheel offset. do you think this is safe? have any ideas what it cost to do this? any possibility of uneven/bad job, or is it all computerized? I really want to lower the Fit, but don't want to have any rubbing issues (oh, I might be using Tanabe GF210's - with that set-up, your thoughts on that as well). hope to learn from you all. thanks.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 AM
I would be interested to hear if anyone has, or knows someone who has done this.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
its possible but you need to got to someone with a cnc machine or something better.i dont think it will hurt the wheel unless it gets hot but i not really sure.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
I personally don't think its a good idea, especially with a lightweight wheel. If you start shaving off the material on the backside of the wheel you are basically weakening the hold your lug nuts have on your wheel. In the case of lightweight wheels, especially cast lightweight wheels, you could possibly looking at some serious trouble in the future.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned
And you would be violating any warranty and assuming vicarious liability if the work YOU had done is found to be the proximate cause of any accidents and guess who would PAY OUT THE AS*

Old 11-03-2007, 12:42 PM
its perfectly fine to do
there is no weakening done, that could EVER hurt the durability of hte wheel...if you only do a MINIMAL amount

ill prob be having my set of wheels done (+38) in the near future...as i have had done in the past. i've driving on wheels for 5 years that have been machiened down, and never ONCE had an issue. I've got a friend thats got some crappy ass mugene rnr's that even had this done...and he's had no issues, considering thats one of the weakest wheels you can buy

Old 11-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
It all depends on the rims and the amount of metal that can be shaved down. I was thinking about doing it to my Enkei's when I first put them on. I looked and noticed that there was almost no metal from the back of the rim to the washers on the lug holes.

So basically, it couldnt be done. Maybe 1-2mm if anything.

It is possible and people do have it done. A friend of mine had it done for his CRX. The wheels were cheap but they had low offset. It rubbed too much.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:13 AM
thanks for the responses, guys .

yeah, I've measured the thickness of the mounts and it appears to be only about 10 mm. thick. doesn't look much especially if machining off another 2-3mm. hmmm, I guess rolling my fenders maybe the only solution.

i've read from other threads about rolling fenders, but can't seem to grasp how the front liners are tucked in. any of you guys who did this have photos to share? I think I'll have it done professionally since someone in NY had been posting on craigslist. I just wanted to get an idea on how its done so that I can give my input to the person who will do mine. I really appreciate all the response. thanks.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
Man........I'm not suggest you doing that. It is hard to find a shop can make it as you want. I'm not sure do they hand good hand or nor, but if they screw up that's really hurt. may be you can consider to sell what you have (lose little money) to get a new set of 16". Just little crazy suggesting, so ............. Good luck man.

Do you want have dinner sometimes next week?? Call me bro.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:23 PM
any info on this? have anyone tried machining theit wheels at least only upto 2mm? thanks

Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I am just thinking,

If you were to machine the surface off the back of the wheel what if there is some protective coating and you can start to expose your wheel to future corrosion damage?

Also, given that machining gives you a very fine surface has anybody considered you might end up with some super tough bonding with the hub depending on the material? I know I have had a few cases where aftermarket wheels have bonded and it is a major pain, but add in a perfect freshly cut surface and maybe it could be enought to damage the wheel in order to remove it?

Anyway, just a thought,

Cheers!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 11-27-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:46 PM
LDO
You can always cut the wheels down and then have that area powdercoated so long as they don't go 'heavy' on the spray. That would offer sufficient protection if you're worried about it.