Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Help on putting wider wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Help on putting wider wheels

OK...the delema is that I want to be able to modify the rear bumper bracket, and allow my wheels to fit. I have heard and read a little about it in the S2K forums, and see some wild offset wheels fitting doing this mod. So...how about the Fit's? how can this be done? let me know and or show me links.

I'll do the DIY if I can get the info. let me know.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
which wheels are you wanting to run?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToyotaLover
OK...the delema is that I want to be able to modify the rear bumper bracket, and allow my wheels to fit. I have heard and read a little about it in the S2K forums, and see some wild offset wheels fitting doing this mod. So...how about the Fit's? how can this be done? let me know and or show me links.

I'll do the DIY if I can get the info. let me know.
I was looking at that bracket and was thinking about how to do that, and came up with 3 ways.

1) grind off the bracket on the rear fender and bumper. Find a spot to drill a hole through the bumper edge and fender ledge closer to the rear of the car and secure the bumper with a zip tie.

2) use a flat piece of steel and an "L" bracket (available at most hardware stores) Bend one end of the steel into an "L" that matches the "L" bracket. Weld the "L" bracket up into the wheel well high enough that it won't interfere with the wheel. Cut the steel piece to the correct length so that you can epoxy the other end to the inside of the bumper and bolt the "L" end to the bracket.

3) Grind the brackets off and use Mugen tailgate fasteners to hold the bumper on. (kingmotorsports.com under exterior) which is what I plan to do.

BTW, your mod list has grown to be quite impressive, very clean. But the best item on the entire list by far: Top Fuel Ion thingy

"Hey, what'd you guys do this weekend?"

"Dude, we went out and got hammered, it was awesome!"

"Oh yeah? I installed a Top Fuel Ion Thingy."

Last edited by MarkyMark; 01-24-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
dont know if this helps

Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by redrumm
dont know if this helps

Is that what they do.....hum. OK. I'll look into that then.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
I was looking at that bracket and was thinking about how to do that, and came up with 3 ways.

1) grind off the bracket on the rear fender and bumper. Find a spot to drill a hole through the bumper edge and fender ledge closer to the rear of the car and secure the bumper with a zip tie.

2) use a flat piece of steel and an "L" bracket (available at most hardware stores) Bend one end of the steel into an "L" that matches the "L" bracket. Weld the "L" bracket up into the wheel well high enough that it won't interfere with the wheel. Cut the steel piece to the correct length so that you can epoxy the other end to the inside of the bumper and bolt the "L" end to the bracket.

3) Grind the brackets off and use Mugen tailgate fasteners to hold the bumper on. (kingmotorsports.com under exterior) which is what I plan to do.

BTW, your mod list has grown to be quite impressive, very clean. But the best item on the entire list by far: Top Fuel Ion thingy

"Hey, what'd you guys do this weekend?"

"Dude, we went out and got hammered, it was awesome!"

"Oh yeah? I installed a Top Fuel Ion Thingy."
I wouldn't want this holing up my bumper...it's just so ugly looking on the bumper...unless it was a full race car.

The Top Fuel thing I had for like 4-5 years. I bought it super cheap back then, and had it on my 86 Corolla. I forgot what it is really called and all, but yah...i stuck it on just for kicks, but I can't see it in the Fit engine bay.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by japspeed
which wheels are you wanting to run?
i got some 17x7.5 43 offset Volk's, changing from my 16x7 40 offset Konigs, so I need a little more clearance, and I'm already rubbing.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
i had 17x7 wheels with a 25 offset and the wheels were pretty flush on my car and it only rubbed in the back because of that little fender lip. i also had a 205/40 falken tire

im sure you can run the same tire and be alright

Last edited by redrumm; 01-24-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToyotaLover
i got some 17x7.5 43 offset Volk's, changing from my 16x7 40 offset Konigs, so I need a little more clearance, and I'm already rubbing.
Perhaps add a little more camber to the rear?

SPC part # 75800

Welcome to SPC Performance - Performance Suspension Tuning for Sport Compacts, Racing, Hod Rods, Muscle Cars and More!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by redrumm
i had 17x7 wheels with a 25 offset and the wheels were pretty flush on my car and it only rubbed in the back because of that little fender lip. i also had a 205/40 falken tire

im sure you can run the same tire and be alright
i'm pretty dumped so I just need to be able to tuck my wheels without rubbing then i'm fine.

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
No i'm not going neg camber...i actually want to bring it back or close to 0 camber so that it's more flush. I'm not going VIP so neg camber in the back (over 2°) is pointless in our fit. I might put the washers on the top instead of the bottom like most people if i can get the bumper modded.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Retired Moderator
Easiest way is to drill two small holes on the fender and bumper in the wheel well and use a small zip tie...the bumper is already held in place by the clips, but the zip tie would just tidy it up and make sure the corner of the bumper lines up with the fender.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
what size tyre are you using?
my 7.5JJ 42+ offset wheels only JUST CLIP the plastic, not the whole mounting, just shave off the excess plastic of the bumper that protruding.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
i cut the bumper taps off the bumper and then drilled a small hole by the leftover tab on the bumper and used a zip tie

works wells
i did the same with front bumper

Old 01-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I let my rear wheels do the modifying.
It ended up rubbing away the bumper tabs itself. Later on I cut them down more because they were leaving little nicks on my paint.

Anytime I go over huge bumps my rear bumper comes unclipped and pop out a little. When I get out of the car I just pop it back in. Done dealio.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:54 AM
anyone got any better pics of the fender mods??