Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

TPMS and Slime

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
TPMS and Slime

Ok - I've looked all over the forum for this and the only thread I can find about it is this one https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...size-hole.html

My question is this: I've looked around the internet, checked the slime company's FAQs, even looked at other cars forums. The manufacturers statement is that Slime is OK with TPMS (since it's water based and can just be rinsed out), but my inner sceptic says "well they would say that". Now in the thread referenced above people have made blanket "no slime" statements but is this actually based on fact or just belief? If it really si water based and can be flashed out, why would that necessitate replacement of the monitor? Or would it (not being an engineer hence my question?)

I'm asking because DD "may" have a pin hole leak and I know she has slime in the car (transfered from her older car). Normally, I'd just say, put the spare on and take it to a tire shop, but there is a time crunch here - she's supposed to be the sound engineer for a concert 250 mile away from where she currently is and being late isn't really an option. Neither is killing her self though.

Anyway, has anyone 1) had personal experience of Slime screwing up the TPMS (or can point me to a forum where someone has) or 2) experience of it not screwing up the system, or 3) evidence of either situation. So far, everything I've read is along the lines of "I've been told" or "everyone says" but no actual evidence.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
My vehicle has a TPMS device; can I use SLiME?

TPMS STATEMENT OF COMPATIBILITY

As leaders in the tire care and repair industry, Accessories Marketing, Incorporated (AMI), the manufacturers of SLiME Tire Sealant wish to address the mandate set forth in the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (TREAD) Act, passed in the fall of 2000. In response to this mandate, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) established the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard that requires the installation of Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) to all vehicles by September 1, 2007.

From our findings, and after significant dialog with the leading manufacturers of TPMS devices, SLiME Tire Sealant will not damage TPMS devices. We understand TPMS manufacturers have conducted extensive testing to ensure their sensors remain operational after exposure to any chemical fluids that might come into contact with the sensors. This includes after market products, such as SLiME Tire Sealant. AMI has also conducted independent testing, which supports and verifies SLiME Tire Sealant’s compatibility with TPMS devices.

Currently, there are two types of TPMS devices available: Direct and Indirect. SLiME Tire Sealant’s TPMS formulation is compatible with all TPMS systems. However, it is important to note that once installed, Slime Tire Sealant may come in contact with the sensor in a way that renders the sensor TEMPORARILY inoperable until it is properly cleaned, inspected and re-installed by a tire care professional.

Because SLiME is a water soluble flat repair treatment, it is easily removed from the tire with water. At the time the affected tire is inspected by a tire care professional, they should clean the sealant from the tire, prepare the area and repair with a Rubber Manufacturer’s Association (RMA) approved patch/plug. The TPMS device should also be cleaned off with water to remove any sealant which may have come into contact with the device. Do not use any fine objects to ream and clean the small pressure sensor opening as it may damage the electronics. After the repaired tire is replaced and inflated the TPMS system will resume operating as normal.

Please note that SLiME is recommended as a REPAIR for all Over the Road (OTR) applications.

This is taken from their site. Our sensor are sealed with resin so it should work. I wouldn't use it but, I guess emergency situations only short term it should be okay. The repair place will probably charge you to clean out the residual slime.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Yes, that's what I read, but as I said I'm a sceptic - after all, they aren't the people who will be paying for the repair

My hope is that it turns out not to be a leak and this is an academic issue. I think it's worthwhile to have something like this in the car for a potentially critical situation, but I don't think this is it.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
After working at a tire shop, I would never use slime. That stuff is nasty. If you do use it, make sure you tell the tire shop if you bring it in to get fixed for good. Slime fumes are explosive, and if the tire machine's bead breaker hits the wheel (pretty common) and creates a spark (probably only possible on steel wheels) it can end badly.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Are we sure we're talking about slime and not something like fix a flat? I've found a hazard sheet for the pro tubeless slime stuff that indicates that there is no ignition risk, but it might be different for their other product.

I am making an assumption that if slime is used a repair is unlikely (not impossible but unlikely). My concern is really for the sensors. I think I'm going to toddle off to my local friendly tire place and get them to call it for me.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Fa1
I wouldn't risk it. A new sensor is close to $40, close to half the cost of a new decent tire.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Well my post is academic now as it appears there isn't actually a leak.

Still, I would like to know, that is know what the real deal is on this. Not info from the manufacturer or "I've heard" sort of evidence but tests etc.

Reassuring though that the sensors are around $40 (plus labor I suppose), since that, although not cheap, would be payable if the other option was my 24 year old daughter being stranded in an unsalubrious neighborhood. She has AAA but sometimes...

Old 09-11-2009, 05:40 PM
With all the advice given...., I would just get a cigarette receptacle tire inflater just to get to the nearest tire dealer. Anything bigger than a slow leak and slime wouldn't work anyway.

I would only carry slime or fix a flat if you couldn't hold the spare tire.

AAA
cell phone
and stay clear of shady areas you don't have to have a flat to get into a situation

Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM
She already has the inflation pump, so that's covered.

Has anyone put a full-size spare in the well at the back? I was wondering if it would fit (no pun intended). It (full size) might be too deep I suppose. Hmm - where's my tape measure?

Old 09-12-2009, 12:27 AM
I'm still ambivalent about this: I have yet to see any evidence that 1) it compromises the sensors and 2) that it isn't possible to flush it out relatively easily. It appears I'm going to have to put slime in a tire just to prove the case one way or the other. I find it hard to believe that there is no real evidence about this. So far, all I have seen (on this or any other site) is opinions, not evidence. Steve47 indicates that Slime has explosive fumes, and this may be true: however I can't find anything (apart from his assertion), that indicates this is actually the case. Please note: this may be true, it's just not reported elsewhere.

I suppose my problem is that so much of this comes under the category of "received wisdom", and that isn't necessarily scientific. Actual experience ("I put Slime in my tires and had to purchase a new tire pressure sensor") would be worthwhile, or even " it's a bitch to repair tires that have slime on them" but I do need more than "I have been told". Call me picky.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Used Slime, now TPMS problem

I used slime to fix a very slow leak in a rear tire on my FIT, was fine for 15,000 miles, now I have a TPMS light and can't get it off.
I'm going to look into cleaning the sensor.
Does anyone have photos of the sensor/air hole/location?
Although I have the light, I have no codes. Does anyone know how I can be sure the slimed tire is the one giving the sensor problem?
Also, Slime does not have noxious fumes, they're thinking of the fix a flat aerosol products.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:48 AM
If you used slime for 15K miles without a problem, I'd recommend first checking the pressure in all your tires. Cooler temperatures = lower tire pressure, which can cause the TPMS light to come on. I had to add air to my tires a couple of weeks ago for that reason. No TPMS light since.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 PM
a 5 dollar hole plug kit at walmart will fix that better and faster than that slime...why not just do that?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by fareastgq
a 5 dollar hole plug kit at walmart will fix that better and faster than that slime...why not just do that?
Well of course, but that always presupposes that you are competent to do that, that it's not 3 am in the morning on an unlit highway etc., and so on and so forth.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I used slime on original factory tire with slow leak (only has a little tread left, not worth fixing properly, getting new tires in 1 month) 5k later no sensor trouble.