Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

Tire upgrade for stock rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Tire upgrade for stock rims?

I have a 2007 manual fit sport and I am now at a crossroad. Either Upgrade to coilovers an new rims/tires, or base KWSC and just upgrade tires. So as you see both plans have me getting rid of those crapping stock rubbers.

Need to know a good All-seasons performance tire thats a solid buy for the cash. I dont track but I want some good grip. Also if You know a better size tires to do with other than stock ones. Would love to shrink up that side wall just a bit ^^

Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
People usually go to 205/50R15s when they go for a smaller side wall, however doing so throws the speedo of just a tiny bit. As for tires, I can't help you there. I haven't driven on any other tires than the stockers and don't remember any all season tires that people use here.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vaskar
I have a 2007 manual fit sport and I am now at a crossroad. Either Upgrade to coilovers an new rims/tires, or base KWSC and just upgrade tires. So as you see both plans have me getting rid of those crapping stock rubbers.

Need to know a good All-seasons performance tire thats a solid buy for the cash. I dont track but I want some good grip. Also if You know a better size tires to do with other than stock ones. Would love to shrink up that side wall just a bit ^^
Currently I'm running the Falken ze-912. IMO best bang per buck, however I heard in cold weather they do not grip too well. Granted I never had that issue....I live in Cali. There is also the Kumho asx...

The size I'm using is the 205/55/15 (because I wanted to run the biggest tires to play with the extremes) The Speedo is about 3-5mph lower than you are really going.

The common size changes that people use are the 205/50/15, 195/55/15, 195/50/15

Old 10-06-2009, 04:57 PM
thx for you guys quick replys. After working 12hrs last night it started snowing half way threw. I got to my car earlly morning to find an ice cube. Guess I better hurry with the new tires as it was not fun going home on these streets in the early morning...

Old 10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vaskar
thx for you guys quick replys. After working 12hrs last night it started snowing half way threw. I got to my car earlly morning to find an ice cube. Guess I better hurry with the new tires as it was not fun going home on these streets in the early morning...

hey vaskar,

you should check out the good year eagle gt's if you are wanting to use the stock tire size of 195/55/r15. they have decent traction in the snow, and feature an almost summer like tread on the edges. they are fantastic in the rain. one of the most aggressive all seasons you can get.

i liked the falkens when i first had them...the tread desgin was nice (though not near the gt's level.) but they wore out very quickly compared to what they are rated at...and that was with flat highway driving 80% of the time and 5k tire rotations. they also grew SUPER loud, especially considering how mild the tread design was, i was dissapointed when this reared its head.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
hey vaskar,

you should check out the good year eagle gt's if you are wanting to use the stock tire size of 195/55/r15. they have decent traction in the snow, and feature an almost summer like tread on the edges. they are fantastic in the rain. one of the most aggressive all seasons you can get.

i liked the falkens when i first had them...the tread desgin was nice (though not near the gt's level.) but they wore out very quickly compared to what they are rated at...and that was with flat highway driving 80% of the time and 5k tire rotations. they also grew SUPER loud, especially considering how mild the tread design was, i was dissapointed when this reared its head.

Thx alot eldaino. I will check them out an look for some good prices ^^

Old 10-11-2009, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
Upgraded tire size

How about running 195/60/15?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
haha nice, those are my tires

i hope they do ok in the snow. i guess i'll find out soon.

The only thing I don't like so far is how soft the sidewalls are when cornering. Wet traction is amazing.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM
????

Originally Posted by danger69
How about running 195/60/15?
Anybody running this size? I'd like to hear from them. My 08 MT runs fairly high RPMs on the highway and I'd like to lower that just a hair on the next tire change. I know it'd mess up the speedo readings a bit.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
haha nice, those are my tires

i hope they do ok in the snow. i guess i'll find out soon.

The only thing I don't like so far is how soft the sidewalls are when cornering. Wet traction is amazing.
How are they compared to the stock Dunlops as far as sidewall stiffness, and dry traction? I know people rip on the stockers but I personally think they're a pretty decent stock tire. The traction isn't outstanding but quite predictable. Just a little expensive.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Really? I was considering Falken ZE-912 before seeing this post because they have good reviews from consumers and thread wear rating is good.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
You may want to think twice about the Falken ZE-912. I replaced the stock 175/65/14's with the Falkens in a 195/60/14 and was surprised to find that this brand new considerably wider set of rubber could do every thing worse than the stock bicycle tires. Worst tire I've had on any car.