Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

$300 Coilovers for the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kristinachelsea
Sent. And I'm local to Raceland, I even know a girl that will let them test fit them.
Nickel for every time I've said that! Doubt Raceland will make this anytime soon, don't know why. They'd sell a ton of them. Just seems like they aren't interested. My brother's Racelands on his e36 are still performing just fine, so I have faith in their quality, as some have questioned. It's kinda like saying you have to have $2000 SSR wheels or you're car's going to fall apart. Not the case. A $500 set of Rotas do just fine. People like knowing they have top of the line stuff though. I have the Buddy Club N+ installed now and love them. I got a good deal on them, but I still would of just went with Racelands if they offered it.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm also local to race land. Have a lot of friends with them on their cars and none of them have any complaints. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty so if they go out they'll replace it. What more can you ask for?

Some people need to pull their head out of heir ass and realize they aren't gods gift to the earth. Will these perform like a top end coil over set up? No... But for the cost they do a damn good job.

I previously emailed them.... So add me to the list I guess.

Oh... Hi KCA!

Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
I am surprise that at least Megan does not offer a EZ-Street version of their coilover since they offer the Street series for around $900 for the Fit. Uusually the EZ-Street goes for around $600. A lot of Miata people have these and the reviews are good.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
You've never been within 5 miles of a quality car part have you?

Riceland is shit.
Tein (below the Monoflex) is shit.
Skunk2 is shit.
Buddy Club is close to.....shit.

Most 'JDM' coilovers are......shit.
I read an article in Sport Compact Car or Modified or one of those such magazines where they actually put a bunch of different coilovers on a shock dyno as well as on a bunch of identically prepped S2000's, and based on the results pretty much all the commonly spoke of coilovers were equally crummy in their actual performance.

Originally Posted by solbrothers
eibach has been in business for decades. i'd trust them over some company that has been around for years
True Eibach has been around for a long time, but just because a company has been around doesn't necessarily mean that makes them quality.

And I'm not knocking Eibach, they are a great company that makes a great line of products.

WHO CARES!?

The Fit has a number of great suspension options, people are just too cheap to go out and pay for them.

HKS
KW
AMR
J's Racing
Spoon
Mugen
That one I linked in JC's thread.
mike410b, as someone who has had a great number of various vehicles, with a great number of suspensions, and used them in a variety of different ways, I have never really noticed too much difference from the "cheap crummy stuff" to the "great" suspensions, as far as feel/performance.

Considering that probably 99% of Fit's will never see competitive race use, how would you argue the justification to spend 2-4x the amount on "great" quality coilovers compared to the "cheap" stuff?

I mean, if they ride well, handle well, and last just as long, why spend $2k more on coilovers and not spend that money elsewhere?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
I have had 3 friends who had racelands, a set on a mk3 jetta, a mk4 jetta and a bmw e36. None had the cars for more than 10,000 miles so i cant attest to their longevity, but seriously, they are $300 coilovers, If they don't blow in a year really what more can you ask for? they also rode really nice for being super low.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by slp950
I read an article in Sport Compact Car or Modified or one of those such magazines where they actually put a bunch of different coilovers on a shock dyno as well as on a bunch of identically prepped S2000's, and based on the results pretty much all the commonly spoke of coilovers were equally crummy in their actual performance.

True Eibach has been around for a long time, but just because a company has been around doesn't necessarily mean that makes them quality.

And I'm not knocking Eibach, they are a great company that makes a great line of products.

mike410b, as someone who has had a great number of various vehicles, with a great number of suspensions, and used them in a variety of different ways, I have never really noticed too much difference from the "cheap crummy stuff" to the "great" suspensions, as far as feel/performance.

Considering that probably 99% of Fit's will never see competitive race use, how would you argue the justification to spend 2-4x the amount on "great" quality coilovers compared to the "cheap" stuff?

I mean, if they ride well, handle well, and last just as long, why spend $2k more on coilovers and not spend that money elsewhere?
I've been on both extremes.

My previous car had Omni Power coilovers (Previous owner was a brokeass) with 12k/10k spring rates. I hated it. The car rode like shit and something felt wrong about it (Nothing was, I had a shop look over the suspension). I sold the car after driving it about 20x, I hated it that much...I blame how awful the suspension was.

The car before that had J's Racing N1 coilovers (made by Crux) with 16k/14k spring rates. I daily drove this car, rain or shine, even snow/ice/sleet/etc. Car rode better than the Omnis (even with those rates), handled like something straight out of Super Taikyu and even after the WI salt was left to attack them I had no issues adjusting height, etc.

Anyone who claims a car on cheap coilovers rides well is lying to themselves. For example, many people in the 88-00 Honda world (where I spent a couple years before the Fit) claim that Function Forms ride very comfortably. My friend had them on his EF sedan and while it road soft like stock, it was also about as bouncy as a super ball.

Maybe I just think of cars as a hobby and I don't understand a desire to cheap out. No one is forcing you to modify your car, just do it right.

Last edited by mike410b; 08-10-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
I've been on both extremes.

My previous car had Omni Power coilovers (Previous owner was a brokeass) with 12k/10k spring rates. I hated it. The car rode like shit and something felt wrong about it (Nothing was, I had a shop look over the suspension). I sold the car after driving it about 20x, I hated it that much...I blame how awful the suspension was.

The car before that had J's Racing N1 coilovers (made by Crux) with 16k/14k spring rates. I daily drove this car, rain or shine, even snow/ice/sleet/etc. Car rode better than the Omnis (even with those rates), handled like something straight out of Super Taikyu and even after the WI salt was left to attack them I had no issues adjusting height, etc.

Anyone who claims a car on cheap coilovers rides well is lying to themselves. For example, many people in the 88-00 Honda world (where I spent a couple years before the Fit) claim that Function Forms ride very comfortably. My friend had them on his EF sedan and while it road soft like stock, it was also about as bouncy as a super ball.

Maybe I just think of cars as a hobby and I don't understand a desire to cheap out. No one is forcing you to modify your car, just do it right.
I know when the damping is set to soft, some coilovers develop serious "bounce" and actually seem to ride better when set very stiff.

And like you stated above, different coilovers have different spring rates which can greatly affect ride and handling as well. Also tires and even tire air pressure can affect ride and handling adversely as well.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
The damping adjustment on Taiwan junk coilovers is meaningless.

Yes, I know this. I'd say logically that lower spring rates (to a point) would mean a softer/more comfortable ride, unfortunately the dampers on the Omni Power were so bad that what was a legitimate race car coilover setup rode considerably more comfortably.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
The damping adjustment on Taiwan junk coilovers is meaningless.

Yes, I know this. I'd say logically that lower spring rates (to a point) would mean a softer/more comfortable ride, unfortunately the dampers on the Omni Power were so bad that what was a legitimate race car coilover setup rode considerably more comfortably.
Going back to article I mentioned earlier, they actually put each brand of coilover on a shock-dyno, and measured how matched the damping rates were from assembly to assembly in the same brand, and also how much adjusting the setting actually changed anything. They found that some were really not much more than a click from a knob, and some of the 32 way adjustables really only had 3 measurable settings.

There really is a benefit to buying better suspension if you plan to track your car, or live in Deal's Gap N.C. or just want to spend your money on parts you know are high quality.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
And the better ride quality, ability to rebuild, etc.

The only people who buy the cheap stuff are the uninformed and the idiot hard parkers.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 AM
I love how most of the purists out there all drive stock cars...

Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I won't roll the dice on those even if I was on a really tight budget... I'd rather roll stock and stack pennies for a year or so to get decent ones.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by goferris
Like me? OH WAIT, my car isn't stock.

I love how most of the people who buy shit parts have longer mod lists than mine because they buy the cheapest shit they can find solely for that purpose.

My car with a few quality parts > Your car with a page full of cheap 'mods'

Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by slp950
Going back to article I mentioned earlier, they actually put each brand of coilover on a shock-dyno, and measured how matched the damping rates were from assembly to assembly in the same brand, and also how much adjusting the setting actually changed anything. They found that some were really not much more than a click from a knob, and some of the 32 way adjustables really only had 3 measurable settings.
I remember this article or something like it I read quite a while back.

I always LOL at "32 way adjustable". The f$#% you need 32 points of adjustment for. It's not even bound/rebound independant, stop acting like your products are super serious race car driver stuff

Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by goferris
I wonder if you caught the irony in your own statement

Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by joey_fits
joey_fits stop making sense. This is the internet thats not allowed

Old 08-15-2012, 01:13 PM

I didn't, thanks for pointing it out though.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:24 AM
Like me? OH WAIT, my car isn't stock.

I love how most of the people who buy shit parts have longer mod lists than mine because they buy the cheapest shit they can find solely for that purpose.

My car with a few quality parts > Your car with a page full of cheap 'mods'
If your car still looks anything like the pic in your sig it looks pretty much stock to me.

Have you ever been in a car with Raceland coils? If you have, what do you have to say about them? It's not like they are rolling on cut springs and blown struts. They actually ride pretty good. Now, if your goal is to have a car that looks decent but doesn't break the bank, they do the job perfectly. Most people running them aren't looking for "OMG this is the best handling suspension on earth" they are looking for a decently priced alternative. I've had this discussion with multiple idiots that think if you didn't pay $500 on it your wasting your money... My buddies race EG rocked Rotas for many months and it's not a cheap car... Now would he rock Racelands? No... They can't handle the abuse that he throws at it. Is my Fit EVER going to see a racetrack? No... It's a daily driver. I hope to be able to take my EK (Sorry, EJ for you purists) out a few times which is why I have more quality parts on it. I currently have blown struts on the Fit (came that way when I purchased it) and I could either drop $400 just for new struts (that's keeping it stock height) or (if Raceland made coils for it) I could have a full decent suspension for $300 which would make my car look a lot better. If the $300 part does the same job if not better than the $400+ part for what I want in my car, then why the hell does it matter? I'm not building the car to be put in a magazine so I can show off all the UberMadTytejdmYO parts that I have to work 3 jobs to afford and then some punk kid who doesn't work at all steals in the long run. Most people in the world that like cars are building a car that they enjoy and why would you be against that? You don't have to agree with their tastes in parts but you don't have to always say that their parts are shit.

There's a local kid that's building an ITR from scratch. Paid way too much for a beat to shit shell but because it's an ITR he's the coolest kid ever. Also bought all the most JDMyo stuff for it, like a $400 valve cover because it was yellow from some company in Japan (can be easily reproduced and actually powdercoated so it is more durable than the original for the fraction of the cost) but talks shit on people whose cars are actually running and functional. Now tell me where the logic is in that? Oh yeah... did I mention he's had to part out his build 4 times because he can't afford to pay his bills?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that just because you don't see it on all the cars in Honda Tuning coming from JDMland, and it doesn't have a big price tag, doesn't mean it's not a quality part that will do the job.

And to end, I will draw the line on people that try to rock fakes and pretend they are real. Those people should just be shot.

Haha... Touche'

Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Keep in mind that not ALL Raceland coilover sets are $300. If they came out w/ some for the fit they could be $400-500. Especially since it'd be a brand new product...

Old 08-16-2012, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Still a shit damper and shit springs.

I have ridden in a car with Ricelands, its the only thing that ever rode worse than my old Integra on Omni Power POS coils.