Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

Any interest in a Kammback Aero Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 PM
rav
5 Year Member
Any interest in a Kammback Aero Spoiler

Hi guys,
Of all the mods that one can do, i think this should really help to get some more mpg. This spoiler would be different from the ones out there in the sense that it will be sloping downwards following the roof line. I have attached an ideal kammback spoiler below:

Name:  Crazyhondafitidea2.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  29.3 KB

But that would not be impossible to make. Luckily we have one similar for the JDM fit:

Name:  ImageFromDB.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  26.5 KB

So the ideal one would combine the slope of the first one and have the dimensions (slightly longer then the red one and sloping inwards on the sides)
John from JDP has agreed to make some if there is interest. price would be similar to slightly more then the carbon one they have. So how many of you would be interested??? I am in so far. Questions suggestions are always welcome!!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
IMO it looks too extreme and in that picture looks like it cuts out the view of the rear window

Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 PM
rav
5 Year Member
I agree that the first one is extreme but the second one should not hinder the rear view. I guess it would be nice to have a prototype for people to see and if we can have some A-B-A testing to show the aero improvement in terms of mpg then a lot more of you guys would be interested. I guess i will talk to John again!!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
I remember reading of Dr Kamm first introducing the design ... The blue car with the disc wheel covers, skinny tires and trick body kit would kick ass at top speed and high speed fuel mileage.... I could go for a kit like that big time for my GD3..... Bonneville is calling!

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 10-30-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rav
Hi guys,
Of all the mods that one can do, i think this should really help to get some more mpg. This spoiler would be different from the ones out there in the sense that it will be sloping downwards following the roof line. I have attached an ideal kammback spoiler below:

But that would not be impossible to make. Luckily we have one similar for the JDM fit:

So the ideal one would combine the slope of the first one and have the dimensions (slightly longer then the red one and sloping inwards on the sides)
John from JDP has agreed to make some if there is interest. price would be similar to slightly more then the carbon one they have. So how many of you would be interested??? I am in so far. Questions suggestions are always welcome!!
More info please..... I am sick of all of the look alike Fits that are constantly popping up and would love to be able to acquire these body parts to use on my car.... If there was wind tunnel testing to substantiate aerodynamic gains to be had by such a kit that would justify the functionality and the price wasn't unreasonable I would commit to making a purchase in a heartbeat.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:32 PM
rav
5 Year Member
Looks like only the two of us are interested in this.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
If you are looking for a mold of the JDM one...I may be able to get one for you

Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 PM
rav
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit4Trav
If you are looking for a mold of the JDM one...I may be able to get one for you

More info please

Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
I'm tuned in also...

Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by rav
Looks like only the two of us are interested in this.
I would be interested but the spoiler would have to do something other than look good and empty my wallet.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:11 AM
Name:  Crazyhondafitidea2.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  29.3 KB

Whoa... Citroen DS-ized

Old 10-30-2010, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Occam, it scares me that I flashed back to the Citroen also... My father drove a 53 Studebaker Commander that was often mistaken as "one of them French cars". In a way it was being that Raymond Loewy was born in Paris

Old 10-30-2010, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
i like where the OP's head is at, count me in, if it doesn't take till the next fit model change comes out to make this happen!
e y e s p e e l e d

Old 10-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey, I'd love to acquire an old DS.
YouTube - Citroen DS
YouTube - James May Talks about Citroen DS

A smooth, flowing car that is technologically amazing, at a time when American manufacturers were bolting fits and rocket sights on everything. Disc-brakes, mid engine FWD, flat-6 engine, four wheel independent auto-levelling suspension, aluminum and plastic used throughout the car, headlights that turn with the car... and then the cool single-spoked steering wheel. It's a bit like the Tucker, if the Tucker has made it to production instead of being destroyed by corporate interests from Detroit.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Occam, it scares me that I flashed back to the Citroen also... My father drove a 53 Studebaker Commander that was often mistaken as "one of them French cars". In a way it was being that Raymond Loewy was born in Paris
Tangent Alert!

Ohhhhh..... '53 Studes!

Auctiva Image Hosting

I built two of this kit as a kid, once stock in royal blue, once as the drag version in black. I consider the '53 Studebaker Coupe to be one of the most beautiful American cars ever made. When a restored example came in to get keys copied at my old job, I drooled! Links to modded versions:

http://image.streetrodderweb.com/f/1...lite_coupe.jpg

1953 Studebaker Racecar by Bo Zolland - Grey - 1280x960 - Wallpaper

BTW- This Bo Zolland Viztech guy is da sh*t... I remember his name vaguely, but when I found that shot I started Googling his artwork - OMG, this guy will take any car and do the most beautiful artistic renderings of it. He streamlines & modernizes classic cars until they look like they should be sold alongside Aston Martins, Ferraris, Porsches, etc. Also does some modern stuff & boats based on cars (!).

Of course, his work doesn't come cheap, and I've not seen Japanese cars in his art. Just American classics, Volvos (he's Swedish), and some German cars.

Back to the posting, I love Kamm-influenced aerodynamics. I've seen references to 14.5deg being the ideal angle to strive for...

Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Hey, I'd love to acquire an old DS.
YouTube - Citroen DS
YouTube - James May Talks about Citroen DS

A smooth, flowing car that is technologically amazing, at a time when American manufacturers were bolting fits and rocket sights on everything. Disc-brakes, mid engine FWD, flat-6 engine, four wheel independent auto-levelling suspension, aluminum and plastic used throughout the car, headlights that turn with the car... and then the cool single-spoked steering wheel. It's a bit like the Tucker, if the Tucker has made it to production instead of being destroyed by corporate interests from Detroit.
Agreed... I saw a few in Germany last month that were still in great shape. Although this wasn't one of 'em:

http://jalopnik.com/390057/hot-rod-c...familiar-punch

Last edited by !bungle; 10-30-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:27 PM
I passed a 2CV parked downtown a few days ago... don't see many of those!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:38 PM
We used to have a matt gray 2CV that was sort of a mascot for a import interior-decorating store here in Austin, but I haven't seen it in a while. In that color it looked even more agricultural than usual! Then there was also a two-tone Art Deco red & black one as well...

Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with rav about the ideal shape for beneficial Kamm effect having to differ from the stylish JDM spoiler... It would have to protrude further to the rear and angle down and inward as rav stated..... There is sure a lot of stuff online about this topic... The Kamm effect is used on model airplanes and aero bodied recumbent bicycles also.. The use of a Kamm Box was even mentioned for use on military drone type aircraft to improve stability and cut down on replacement losses..... The Honda Insight has one of the most obviously Kamm influenced body lines of any production car that I have seen and it is very evident that the Kamm theory was also implemented on the CRXs ... The Chevy Vega station wagon was called a Kamm Back.