Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

JDP Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Alright. I'll be the first to comment on it. I feel like the pics aren't really enough. You have any from head on close to show how far up it sticks? I also feel like there is going to be a point where it becomes more for show than functionality and vice versa. We need to find the happy medium where it still give function and still looks OEMish. Guess I really need some better pic angles to give a true judgement.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
I like that it doesn't stick out, however IMHO feel that where the opening is should tilt forward more and be perpendicular to the surface of the hood.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:34 AM
From John.

"The scoop is shaped so that it will clear the hood when the hood is opened....it cannot be any higher than it is now unless you do not want the hood to open all the way.

The scoop is at it's optimal height."

Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
My GruppeM intake with the scoop at the cowl, the scoop was held in place by 4 pushpin fastners. Would this be doable for this scoop to increase functionality and not worry about the hood opening or closing? Only was a one tiny little step more to open the hood.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
More pics would be primo. I'd love it to be taller but I understand the hood thing. Hmm. Let's brain storm people.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Just curious from all of you. Would you want to take an extra step to open the scoop for a taller scoop? Or do you want to extend it horizontally so it goes towards the middle panel? Get more air and capable of opening the hood.

Throwing some ideas out.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:47 AM
I just want to look as it came whit the factory car!!!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Okay. I spoke to John today.
He originally made it big and it stood out like a sore thumb. So he spent hours to reshape to make it look factory.

John stated that he found mounting holes for the scoop piece with no drilling. Basically a plug and play.

Just to let people get an idea of the demension. The optimal height between the base of the panel to the hood curvature is 1.5 and the width is 8.25 long.

Btw, people that want a taller scoop. Imagine a mechanic didn't know that the scoop was taller and crack it. That would be a problem. Or.... Let's say you don't open your hood often. we all have the tendency to forget things and when it's time to open the hood, you forgot about the scoop and it crack.

Keep this in mind. would be a waste of money to replace every time.

Last edited by vumiken; 01-29-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
I like the particular panel that it is located on because a) it's a smaller panel so easier to install, etc and b) because that is where most short ram intakes sit. (underneath there)

I understand the concern with the hood, I'm ok with that...would a compromise be to make the scoop sit back a bit further? I dunno...just spit shotting.

I am all about function with this one.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 PM
It may not sit flush and won't look OEM but I will throw that idea in to move it back a little. How does everyone else feel about the design?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
I mean I'm not like "set" on it looking a certain way--just putting some ideas in there.

For me, as long as it is bringing fresh air into the bay--I'm all about it.

Does that make sense? I don't want you to think I'm complaining or trying to be a trouble maker.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

From what I could tell from the pics, I love the smaller inconspicuous design, just cant really make it apart in the pics (which is good since it's more OEM looking). Better pics would be greatly appreciated.

I for one wouldn't want a taller design, but still need to see better pics. Maybe two designs, one low and one taller?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by vumiken
Just curious from all of you. Would you want to take an extra step to open the scoop for a taller scoop? Or do you want to extend it horizontally so it goes towards the middle panel? Get more air and capable of opening the hood.

Throwing some ideas out.
I want to clarify that I think John did a great job making it look OEM. The angular features make it blend in really well.

I can live with the fact that it isn't angled forward for the sake of convenience of being able to leave it intact when opening the hood. This is also an issue of whenever I take the car to be serviced, I'd have to remove the top piece if it's a two-piece, because I never know if they're going to pop open the hood for anything. And I'd have to leave the top off and who knows if the weather is cooperating while the car sits outside while waiting to be serviced or for me to pick it up.

I think the issue I have if it became taller is that it will ruin the lines, but if John can come up with a design that he feels compliments it then by all means.

The issue with it going more toward the center is tricky. The last mock-up from Rogue was a good example. I felt it was too organic and not angular enough. I think the project was plagued with logistical issues though as he didn't have a GE to work with on-site. Anyways, I think going toward the center isn't exactly a bad idea, as long as it compliments the lines well, and the fitment is tight.

Here's something I sketched that IMHO would work.

Name:  JDPScoop_b-1.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  7.1 KB
Name:  JDPScoop_1b.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  162.8 KB

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by blassty; 01-29-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ IMO that looks very good.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
If we made it horizontally wider I think we get more air pull without making it taller. I don't want it tall enough to hinder hood opening but tall enough to grab air.

blassty's sketch looks pretty good imo

Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Since we're all just giving our opinions, I want to say that I like what John did to the back-end of the mock-up (the side facing the driver's position). Comparing it to Rogue's last mock-up, it definitely is better aesthetically being flat and angular than oval and organic. I hope that as he develops the cowl scoop further, he keeps that aspect of his design.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Just keep in mind that I did ask him to try and go horizontally and he told me that it won't come out flush and would not recommend it. It will weaken the structure and the one thing that john sticks true to is keeping it OEM and no drill to factory part. I will bring it to his attention again since everyone seems to be on the same page.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Okay guys,
I spoke to John today regarding Blassty sketch. The problem he sees here is that because of the angle and the hood it was sketch on it looks good but he believe other views wouldnt look good and it would not flow with the body. He doesn't recommend going with this style. He was able to replicate it but it thins out the structure when it goes towards the middle panel.

Another problem would be having to drill into the middle panel to hold the structure which I don't know if you guys are okay with that or not. John tells me that the middle panel isnt an easy access to pop off like this small section. Having it overlay with the middle panel will not flush well and will be sticking up like a sore thumb (like rogue last design).

This was our discussion today. Let me get some input from what you guys think. I will try to throw it income more ideas if you guys have any but he said that this build will be directly close to the intake which is the purpose. Since our hood was design with little openings, its hard to make it taller or wider.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
I would like it to be just on that small panel that's easier with a no drill installation.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Sent my deposit today, I just want something that is uber functional. I'm not worried too much about design. I just need my intake to get more air :-)

Quick Reply: JDP Scoop