Mods to fit CR-Z Shifter into a GK5

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Question Mods to fit CR-Z Shifter into a GK5

Good Morning Everyone!

I have ordered a Buddy Club CR-Z short shifter, and was wondering if anybody knows what modifications it requires to bolt into the GK5? I emailed Axion asking what modifications were needed to make the shifter fit the GK5 platform and they wouldn't release any information regarding the modifications needed. I've searched on Google and on here with no real information other than a cable guide being slightly too small and the mounting holes being slightly off, both of which are easily remedied. Does anyone have any specific information of the mods needed? Or at the very least, is anyone interested in a write up in how to modify a CR-Z shifter to fit into the GK5?

Cheers!

Old 07-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Imho, cancel your order for the CR-Z shifter and wait for Acuity to release their adjustable short shifter for the GK5 platform. It'll blow the Buddy Club unit out of the water.

For reference:

https://acuityinstruments.com/produc...-short-shifter

Old 07-16-2019, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the idea, however if the GK5 shifter will be priced the same as their civic one, then there is no way I can afford it. The buddy club one cost me a third of that. My fit is my daily driver, most of my car funds go towards my fun cars. PS: Im in Canada so everything is 30%+ more expensive than USD due to the exchange rate.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
I think the only way to solve this mystery, is to have pics of the modded axion unit and compare photos

I too believe the acuity one, will be 4x more expensive, we shall see .... when/if they finally release it for sale

Old 07-17-2019, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I think the only way to solve this mystery, is to have pics of the modded axion unit and compare photos

I too believe the acuity one, will be 4x more expensive, we shall see .... when/if they finally release it for sale
It will, without a doubt, be more expensive than the Buddy Club unit, but you can adjust pretty much everything. It's also going to be made specially for the GK5 and not "modified to fit". Quality parts and niche market mean higher prices.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by USDM
IQuality parts and niche market mean higher prices.
I predict that that "niche market" that involves Honda Fit owners, willing to spend a lot of money on small mods like a short shifter, is either non existent or low in volume.

time will tell, I'd love for acuity to prove me wrong

Old 07-18-2019, 02:47 PM
firstly, i know that some mounting points are off when it comes to CR-Z shifter. I did read threads that people were able to fit it into it, but i do not know the details.

secondly, I recently emailed Acuity regarding the short shifter. they answered that they are expecting it to be complete (NOT released) towards end of this year without a promise. i did not ask abt the pricing, however unknown sources predicted to be same as current civic short shifter.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I predict that that "niche market" that involves Honda Fit owners, willing to spend a lot of money on small mods like a short shifter, is either non existent or low in volume.

time will tell, I'd love for acuity to prove me wrong
I wouldn't hold my breath, haha. I'm 99% certain that the price for the GK5 shifter will be the same as the Civic shifter or even slightly higher.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:33 PM

The only difference I could tell was the cable guide for the shift selector cable. The CRZ is narrower than the GK5, and requirements trimming and filing for the cable to connect correctly. Modifications took me less than 5 minutes.

Buddy Club on the left, stock GK5 on the right.

Overall the install went smoothly, took me 45 minutes including the modification needed. The mounts bolted right up, no issues.

1-2 and 3-4 shifts are about an 1" shorter than stock. 5-6 and reverse feel odd at first and hard to find but got easier the more I used it. No slop at all, which is nice.

Overall I'm happy with the shifter so far.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
by any chance, did you snap any up close photos, of the area that needed trimming/filing?

and bonus question.... you got a before and after pic of the trimming?

Old 08-01-2019, 11:50 AM
I did not take a picture post modification, however, it was very straight forward. Use a hacksaw and remove ~1mm from each side of the main cable guide to open it up to 19mm. Then I used my angle grinder and carefully removed part of the outer reinforcement webbing so that it matched the shape of the oem shifter. Basically, make the cable guide on the Buddy Club match the OEM shifter.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:53 AM

I have circled the area that needs to be modified, the Outer webbing on the buddy club shifter is too thick to allow the cable to insert, It needs to be shaved it down to make a "U" shape like the original.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:55 AM
thank you for your thoughtful insight.

other than cable insert, everything else worked fine ?

also, would you say it was worth $145? i really want to know how much travel difference there is haahahahah

Old 08-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Yes, everything else fit fine. I didn't have any issues with the mounting points, just insert one bolt at a time and didn't tighten until all four are in place. I wish it cost me $145. Being in Canada i had to pay exchange, duty, and extra shipping costs and landed me around $250. The shifts are about 1" shorter from 1-2 and 3-4. I didn't measure 5-6.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:24 AM
wow $250... but i guess it is worth it..

thank you for providing measurements =)

but most importantly, how does it FEEEL?

Old 08-02-2019, 11:42 AM
It feels good. No slop at all, I didn't realize the stock shifter had play until I installed the Buddy Club one. The springs are way beefier on the BC shifter, making the shifts more direct and notchy. I have Acuity solid shifter bushings as well and now the shifting feels more like driving a RWD car with a T56. My only issue with the shifter is that the reverse gate feels funny now. It feels way off in space and hard to find. Though I'm sure I will get used to it as I drive it more.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:42 AM
How's it holding up? Just had the crz shifter delivered this morning, don't have anything other than basic tools so I'm using a knife and sand paper to make the modded section. Definitely hoping I do it right..

Old 11-17-2020, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Mike Markley
How's it holding up? Just had the crz shifter delivered this morning, don't have anything other than basic tools so I'm using a knife and sand paper to make the modded section. Definitely hoping I do it right..
BUMP!

How did you go?

Old 11-17-2020, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by RD36
BUMP!

How did you go?
i copied and pasted this from another post of mine. It's still holding up really well. I do miss having a shift boot though.

I recently ordered some parts (eBay lip, Megan coilovers, and short shifter) as of today I've got 2 of the 3 items and only one of them has been installed. I read about the CRZ short shifter working in the GK and figured I found one cheap enough, I might as well give it a shot.

I found the shifter on eBay listed by buddy club for $90 and free shipping. I ordered around 130pm on a Friday and got the part at 11am the next morning, off to a great start! I start tearing apart the center console and remove the stock shifter assembly and took measurements to make sure the crz one would work. Now, I have some simple home repair tools and thought I could make it work for the mod to the short shifter but I was wrong, I was trying to sand the areas down, I tried filing it down with a finger nail file and ended up using the saw blade on a Swiss army knife before calling it quits at 1am.

The next morning I went to Wally world and bought a Dremel and knocked out the mod in 2 seconds. About another 45 minutes of putting everything back in place and I've got the short shifter all connected and ready for a test drive, until I notice the stock shift knob catches on the shift boot and makes 2nd and reverse very difficult to get into unless I want to destroy the boot. I took it apart again to remove the boot and now have an exposed shifter and ugly oem shift knob, but hey, the shifter works really well, very pleased with the purchase and recommend to anyone trying to get a short shifter for cheap.

Stock on left, buddy club crz short shifter on the right

The bottom piece needs trimmed down

Shane down the front to look like a big U

Add a rounded edge to the back edge and inside corner

Finished product till I get a new knob

Old 11-17-2020, 03:09 AM
i copied and pasted this from another post of mine. It's still holding up really well. I do miss having a shift boot though.
Thanks mate. I appreciate it very much.Shame about the shift boot. But looks like a do able mod.