Long cranking times...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I'll bet you left your headlights on overnight ocne or tiwce and killed the battery?..

Other thing to remmeber too is older Hondas starters turned faster than the newer ones. (smaler motor=more cost savings in production)

Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Battery Troubleshooting

To troubleshoot a battery, you can perform the following:
-Get a Digital Multi-Meter
-Measure the Voltage of the battery; you should get above 12Volts without load
-Measure the Voltage of the battery under load (start the car, while measuring the voltage)

Results:
If you get less than 10.5 volts under load, then you have a weak battery...

Old 03-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Banned
You guys have read the post right?? He is NOT having cranking or battery problems it cranks just fine just too long for him.

I think it's time you did a fuel pressure cold start test. It sounds like the fuel pressure is bleeding off while stopped and the fuel pump needs time to repressureize the system when you try to start.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit
Battery $100
Rebuild starter myself $10
A car that works right $ priceless

congrats on the mpg's though
thats pretty swell.

Any luck yet or too soon to tell? (with regards to initial fuel delivery)

Old 03-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit
Can anyone help?

It seems my beloved Fit is taking longer to start.

I have to crank for at least 1 second, maybe 2 seconds before it will start. My wife's 98 Civic barely has to crank and it fires right up.

What could be causing the issue?
Fuel filter (beginning to clog)
spark plugs (maybe fouling or could stand to get better ones)
something else

My wife has better spark plugs (Platinum +2s). Her car was taking a VERY long time to start a few months ago so I changed the fuel filter - which solved that problem.

I stop my car at lights now because I'm hypermiling, so I need my car to reliably start up - and quickly.

I have been having the same issue with my FIT.....it has 10K. But what is funny about the couple extra seconds it takes to start.....this is ONLY in my 1st start of the day.
Everything after seems to start like normal!!! Crazy

Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Tonyd,

That makes it likely to be the fuel system not being pressurized enough. Next time, try waiting a second with the key in the on position and then turn it to start. See if that fixes it.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Tonyd,

That makes it likely to be the fuel system not being pressurized enough. Next time, try waiting a second with the key in the on position and then turn it to start. See if that fixes it.
I give it a whack!!! Thx for the TIP....STAY TUNED!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Tonyd,

Nope - didn't fix it. Because I leave it in the on position while waiting at a light - which could be a minute or two.

I've had a few starts, though, that were fantastic; the engine fired right up, really quickly - like as soon as I went to crank.

Perhaps I'm beating a dead horse here, and it is just that the starter is smaller. So long as it works, right?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 PM
When your cranking and the car isn't starting what are the RPM's at?.. Starter might be turning slow. Specially if you turn the car off at every light.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Injundon
When your cranking and the car isn't starting what are the RPM's at?.. Starter might be turning slow. Specially if you turn the car off at every light.
True...but I myself do not turn off my FIT unless it is parked.
Still as soon as I hit the 9/10K mark....the first initial startup of the day is a longer crank to start. After that it seems to start on Q every time!!! Strange

Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 PM
your starter might be slowing down. If it was a fuel pressure or ignition issue you would have thrown a CEL by now. Best test is if you have a friend with another fit.. go start your car, then theirs and see which cranks faster.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Injundon
The tachometer doesn't show anything until the car is started.

HOWEVER - I've had better success by turning off my radio and the fan while parked... Obviously those drain the battery and if even left on for only a second (which wouldn't really drain the battery), they are just another thing that the starter is trying to power while it is cranking.

SOLUTION - I turn off everything at the light, except for my parking lights. As soon as I need a new battery (in a few years) I am going to find the biggest, highest CCA battery I can. It still doesn't start as fast as my previous cars, but I can live with it.

On a side note - I rarely turn off my car - just at long lights, or on long glides (like the off-ramp from the freeway, which is downhill and > 1 mile long - in which case I bump start to get going again).

Old 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Did you ever find out the issue?

Old 07-19-2021, 03:55 PM
I own a 2013 Honda Fit Sport and I m at the Honda dealer it has 51,283 miles on it so its a good used car.
Both check engine and the VSL light are steady (Vehicle Stabilization Light). It won't start but the engine will turn over when
I press on the accelerator to give it gas.
The car hesitates from a standstill but accelerates normally when I step on the accelerator. It's a long crank issue which can be caused by one of these issues:
clogged fuel injector(s)
clogged fuel filter
Lose gas cap
dirty air filter
mass airflow sensor
manifold absolute pressure sensor
water spayed in cabin air vent can cause the MAP sensor harness contacts to corrode which could be in my case the most
likely culprit since I went to a self-service car wash to wash my car about half a month ago. I read in my owners manual stated not to spray or pour any liquids into the cabin air vent.
When washing your car keep the spray away from the cabin air vent or simply tape and cover the vent with plastic trash bag.
----------------- 7-22-2021
My dealer's mechanic called and said they they diagnosed the problem and did a total price check: Problem: bad Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor cost : $362.52. parts and labor. I printed a discount coupon for $50.00 off any repair over $200.00 which will cost me $312.52.
I replaced the engine air filter STP $20.00 yesterday as not to cause any more dirt to get into the sensor. I also replaced the cabin air filter STP: $20.00 as well to kill two birds with one stone. When replacing air filters ALWAYS purchase the same brand.
I did not reset the oil life indicator nor any other indicators so that the mechanics can verify that its a bad MAF and can continue to trouble shoot the engine. I do suspect that it's definitely the MAP and no other issues hopefully. I'll keep you updated.
-------------7-23-2021
The auto tech called me today and had replaced the MAP sensor and there are no check engine, VSL warning lights on the center dash console! The main dash console is clean and car runs great now!

MAF Sensor inside air intake shrowd

MAP (Top Center) and MAF Sensor is marked with an X at right

MAP Sensor closeup

New air filter

Oil Life Now 100%

Mileage: 51,331

Last edited by masims; 07-23-2021 at 07:03 PM.