Paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Basically using your engine to slow down the car. You simply downshift into a lower gear and allow the RPMs to decrease without your foot on the throttle.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:31 PM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
^^ Thanks.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
in most large cities engine braking is actually considered illegal in certain residential and commercial areas. due to the amount of noise that it creates when large trucks and 18 wheelers do it. i dont know about where you are at but if you drive around austin texas you can always spot signs that say "no engine break" along the roads.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Hondady
I love the paddles. I don't think I ever drove my car in d yet. What other cars on the market cost under 16k and come with a 5 speed paddle shifter transmission. Thats right NONE!!!
Lol, i think the 09 lancer does, but that car doesn't really do it for me, no where near as cool or as practical as the fit IMO

Originally Posted by F'it_ImFromTx
i dont know about where you are at but if you drive around austin texas you can always spot signs that say "no engine break" along the roads.
LOL i'd laugh so hard if someone in a fit got pulled over for it

Last edited by boon4376; 08-07-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I believe that the no engine brake signs are in responce to a technology developed on large diesels called a exhaust brake. Whenever you hear a large truck barking at you in traffic, that thing is using this brake. If large trucks did not gear down to slow them selves they would absolutely destroy brake shoes. that is the reason for the highway emergency lanes in the mountains as well, if trucks dont gear down, they will flat out loose all wheel braking.
This may not be a problem in truly residential ares, but I have a hard time believing that a court would allow such a law to stop a major part of driving a large truck safely.
edit: found the name of the mechanism Jake brake
Jake brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the jake brakes are really loud, and I have seen some signs outlawing their use, but I have never heard of no engine braking in the downshift definition.
really cool technology.
Andrew

Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Me And A Couple Of My Buddies Were Told That If The Fit Sport Auto Came With A Double Clutch.....that Our Shifts Would Be Faster Than Any Manual Alive..idk If This Is True....hondajunkie..do You Still Need Pics?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by TOOL
I was Effing around with S mode over the weekend, found that you can start from a dead stop in 2nd haha. Pretty cool, i never though that was possible.
Pretty much any automatic will do that if you shift it into "2". Useful for getting away from a stop in slippery conditions.

Does the ECU blip the throttle to match revs on downshifts with the paddle shifter?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by C-Fit
Ok, this is gonna sound like a newbie question, but what is engine braking? Ican't drive, but i've heard of it yet i don't know what it is. Thanks.
This post is hilarious considering your avatar.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 AM
"Youngest FitFreak"(without a Fit)
5 Year Member
^^ Its also funny that i can't even drive!!!!!
I think i had a general idea of what it was, but i never really knew. Sorry that i don't meet up to The Stig's expectations.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:09 AM
They mounted the paddles on the steering wheel because you should never... under any circumstances with performance driving, shift during a corner, always downshift before, hit the apex, follow through, upshift... honda knows what they're doing

Old 08-17-2008, 11:25 PM
^^^ that was very well answered

Old 08-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Arashi
They mounted the paddles on the steering wheel because you should never... under any circumstances with performance driving, shift during a corner, always downshift before, hit the apex, follow through, upshift... honda knows what they're doing
This is true in racing situations, but realistically in regular driving, steering column-mounted paddle shifters are definitely smarter. You even said it yourself, "performance driving." ;] Canyon/valley driving the paddle shifters on the wheel are a god, though. I mean even MCR complained about the R35's paddle shifters being on the steering column, right? But what kind of use will the car see? Sure as hell isn't regular driving... :b

Old 08-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Wuze
This is true in racing situations, but realistically in regular driving, steering column-mounted paddle shifters are definitely smarter. You even said it yourself, "performance driving." ;] Canyon/valley driving the paddle shifters on the wheel are a god, though. I mean even MCR complained about the R35's paddle shifters being on the steering column, right? But what kind of use will the car see? Sure as hell isn't regular driving... :b
Well said!... However, maybe they figured most people would just use D for normal driving as it was intended and S with paddles for Sport/performance driving

Old 08-18-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by Hondasforlife
^^^ that was very well answered
Thank you!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Arashi
Well said!... However, maybe they figured most people would just use D for normal driving as it was intended and S with paddles for Sport/performance driving
Haha I'm sure this was definitely the case. :b I bet they weren't expecting people getting better mileage using the paddle shifters! :] Plus it's just way too fun.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Wuze
Haha I'm sure this was definitely the case. :b I bet they weren't expecting people getting better mileage using the paddle shifters! :] Plus it's just way too fun.
Definitely! I can't get over how quickly this transmission shifts, I mean honestly it's not too far off from DSG in my friends GTI. The fact that you CAN blip the throttle once you hit the downshift paddle is really neat too!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 PM
And for all of those Manual supremacists out there.. this dude is actually shifting into S----------->

Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
what do you mean blip the throttle? you mean you can blip the throttle when you downshift? like simulaneously? i've never tried this? can anyone explain please?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by chrisng
what do you mean blip the throttle? you mean you can blip the throttle when you downshift? like simulaneously? i've never tried this? can anyone explain please?
i to an interested in what exactly it means to "blip" the throttle.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I believe Arashi meant that the RPMs will raise as if someone was double clutching the car.

Quick Reply: Paddle shifters