Ran over a screw

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Ran over a screw

Well, I'd say it's been less than a year since I ran over a screw, but it has happened again. This would be a first for my Fit. I did get it fixed; I paid $6 to have the hole plugged at a little auto shop down the street from where I live.

From what I hear, this is supposed to be only a temporary fix. In the near future, I plan on taking my car in for another oil change and it's routine maintenance, which I believe includes tire rotation. The dealership owes me a free service for ticking me off the last time I went there.

Should I get the plug fixed to a more permanent solution?

I could have put my donut spare on, but there is no way I was gonna drive around 30 miles on a donut to my dealer to get it fixed. I think I bought some sort of tire protection thing when I bought my car.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
unless i am sorely mistaken...if they took the tire off the wheel and pasted a plug in the hole, that's a permanent fix.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
You'll be fine with a plug. I had two tires with plugs on my DB8. I even road raced with them. No problems whatsoever. Plugs are money savers for real. Oh BTW, I had Falken Azenis RT-615s.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, you'll be fine with the plug, unless you plan on breaking the sound barrier anytime soon.

It's trivial whether or not the plug will cause the wheel to be out of balance, but I'd still have the stealer balance your wheels since they owe ya.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 PM
It was just one of those plugs they stuck in without taking the tire off the wheel. Thank goodness I had this done yesterday. It is in the 30s outside today. When the front came through last night, the temperature dropped roughly 25 degrees in one hour. BRRRR!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Your tire should be fine with the plug - I've had that done to a couple of my tires with older cars. My Fit picked up a short nail a few weekends ago which I was hoping would be a small fix. Turned out that it did not even puncture the tire and the guys just removed it and off I went. Trying to save new tire purchase until the spring when I get my rims.

Cat :x

Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I would go ahead and spend the time and effort and take it to a shop who will take the tire off, and use a patch and plug combo. this is be the longest lasting solution. that is of course if the injury is in the middle of the tread and not near the shoulder of the tire.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by bryanfor311
I would go ahead and spend the time and effort and take it to a shop who will take the tire off, and use a patch and plug combo. this is be the longest lasting solution. that is of course if the injury is in the middle of the tread and not near the shoulder of the tire.
Luckily, I found a pic of the tread pattern of the stock Dunlops, which I'm sure most people know are crap. I drew a white dot where the nail ended up. What are the odds of it ending up there?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
With nails and screws you can't really predict where or when they're gonna hit. I had a screw and a 3 inch bolt go into my tires within 6 months when I had my Civic. Yeah, a bolt that looked like this

Like said above, I recommend taking it to a tire shop again so that they can take the wheel off, seal it/patch it and plug it and you should be good for the life of your tires. No problem.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
since you have dunlops, i suppose you have the stock tires that come with the car. i believe the tire package thing you might be stating is the dunlop warranty or something.

anyways, ive been through the plug in the tire route before and its fine, but i wouldnt suggest doing it this way. If you take it to a tire shop, a better, and yet more permanent fix would be to take off the tire, and add a patch where the hole is.