View Poll Results: Which DIY airbox Design should I Do?
#1 OEM Sleeper w/K&N Drop In
41.38%
#2 Spoon/Mike_SHG style w/K&N Drop In
10.34%
#3 Cut the bottom and Side open w/K&N Drop In
6.90%
#4 Chamber style with 3inch piping and Cone Filter
41.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

DIY airbox Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
DIY airbox Opinions

I picked up a spare airbox from DewtheDew so I could hack it up and make a DIY intake. I have two designs I am debating on, so I figured I would make a poll what Style I should do.

here is what I am workin with and talkin about.

Style #1 OEM sleeper box

I would retain all of the resonators and factory plumbing, but cut out the bottom where the water drain is, the kind of diamond shape tilted to the left. That would all be open to below, and I would replace the drop in with a K&N drop in, and with it closed up you wouldn't see anything different than stock(good for cali cops, since no Intake is CARB legal, and a modified air box is illegal) It wouldn't make the car more suscpetable to hydrolock or anything either. Easiest to make and run without any problems. It adds a nice growl.

Style #2 Spoon style
Like MIKE-SHG's car, just cut off and enlarge the port area to just be a hole(aka hack off the resonators and close the box up)

Style #3 Combo of #1&#2
Cut out the bottom of the box like #1, and up the side like the spoon box where the tube is. It would be the maximum amount of opening up the box.

Style #4 OEM chamber with 3 inch side pipe like the power chamber boxes.

So it would look like this, but with 3 inch tubing coming out of the side instead of the right side resonator and tube, and the air filter in the housing to clear the 3 inch piping, because there is actually an overhang. I was gonna cut the bolt mount off the tube, and use it as a mount for the piping so it is sturdy. It would look pretty clean, and if I get a ticket, I can throw the stock box back in.

Here is one of my old intakes I can hack up for sections. I am not gonna do a Sid Short Ram with it, because I want the sensor and EGR in factory location so flow pattern is the same.

I would clean everything up and keep it as factory as possible, plus the pipe would be flat black paint to look stock or black thermal wrap, also with possibility of throwing on a heat shield, also painted flat black or charcoal, and I have 3 of these Air filters laying around so its easy to swap em out. And it is a funnel ram so the top is an inverted cone element.

So let me know guys, I always clean it up so it looks decent, and I like a factory or OEMish appearance.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Shaggs

I am currently running your "style #3," So to help save you time, here my impression of my "mod."

So BASED off the butt dyno, It felt like I lost both Tq and power at low end, so around 3-4k rpm at a dead stop. However once you go WOT, around 4.5k-6k rpm, it feels lot faster than OEM. This is probably due to the trap heat within the motor bay. So driving in traffic or in summer it's horrible. Also I would like to mention once at WOT or close to it , the car become louder and deeper. I would like to add that based on sound alone, IMO I like it better than the RPM CAI

I hope that helps

Old 04-02-2009, 02:12 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I actually have a bunch of different ideas poppin through my head since I lost both fog lights(3 lights killed total) Like making a bigger tube down the fender well, or running a hose to the opening and make a lil ram air box or having the intake tube go up near the strut mount so in rainy season I would have over 3 foot clearance before any water would be near the intake, and it would pull from behind the fender.

I hear warm air intakes raise gas mileage but you do lose a lil power. The only thing I dunno about opening the bottom is the radiator hose is right there, I doubt you could thermal wrap an radiator hose with exhaust tape to possibly shield some of the heat. It's 55-95 degrees all year round in norcal so my rides usually run cool.

Last edited by Shaggs2Dope; 04-02-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
As for the radiator hose, you can wrap up both the box (keeping key location unwrap for air) and the hose to help keep things cool, but you may run into some issues... Like sucking those wraps since their so close to the opening....again I'm just guessing...

Well those sound great idea, now here mines. xD

On our fits, there a vent next to the driver's front (I believe). you can enlarge that opening to force more air into the "stock" box. I got the idea from the T1R intake for the 8th gen civic.

Or, here what I'm trying to research ATM, there an $1.2k scoop intake for the 07 civic si guys that I want to rip off.

The Gruppe M- cowl (borrowing the image from 8th civic)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q.../zzzzz7075.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q.../zzzzz2295.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q.../zzzzz2292.jpg

I'm thinking just making the whole thing in fiberglass for the fit. Place the scoop at the removable piece around the wiper blades....the only issue im thinking of running into, the power steering
reservoir and the rain.

Last edited by Slimjimx701x; 04-02-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:48 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
Well those sound great idea, now here mines. xD

On our fits, there a vent infront of next to the driver's front (I believe). you can enlarge that opening to force more air into the "stock" box. I got the idea from the T1R intake for the 8th gen civic.

Or, here what I'm trying to research ATM, there an $1.2k scoop intake for the 07 civic si guys that I want to rip off.

The Gruppe M- cowl (borrowing the image from 8th civic)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q.../zzzzz7075.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q.../zzzzz2295.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q.../zzzzz2292.jpg

I'm thinking just making the whole thing in fiberglass for the fit. Place the scoop at the removable piece around the wiper blades....the only issue im thinking of running into, the power steering
reservoir and the rain.
With the factory Airbox, there are two drainholes in the bottom of the resonator. Another way to prevent water from being pushed in, is to slightly elevate it like 2mm off the hood with a spacer, so as water rolls back the hood there is an air gap underneath. That airbox is sick BTW

Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
With the factory Airbox, there are two drainholes in the bottom of the resonator. Another way to prevent water from being pushed in, is to slightly elevate it like 2mm off the hood with a spacer, so as water rolls back the hood there is an air gap underneath. That airbox is sick BTW
I guess I can think about till I start on this project sometime durring summer, but I still need to get around and move the battery to the trunk for more room

Old 04-02-2009, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Theres a Gruppe M for the fit also thats nice.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
GruppeM is sick, but i have only seen it for GE's

the GruppeM intake is like a Sid Short Ram DIY

I think I'm gonna do the chambered style with 3 inch piping DIY, it seperates a little better from heat sources

Last edited by Shaggs2Dope; 04-02-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ghg78
Theres a Gruppe M for the fit also thats nice.
You mean this?
https://www.gruppem.co.jp/onlinestor...ram/fr0347.jpg

Gruppem didn't not made a scoop-cowl for the GD3, mostly because the removable piece around the driver's wiper blade is on their driver's side. We lucked out because the piece next to the TB, but for the RHD fits it on the other end of the TB. So there no point to design it on their perspecive.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thats the one.if you could duct it through the j's grille that would be sick.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
woo!! my airbox! have fun modding it.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Thanks again, It will be hacked up by this weekend. My GF always has my car cuz her lexus LS400 is a piece, so I had to go out with a tape measure and measure all my room I have to work with and took pictures under the hood and with tape measure for reference so I can work a few mock ups before I commit to one design, but it's lookin more and more like the Chambered style is gonna be what I go with. Just gotta find my hacksaw and dremel, and epoxy.

I also ordered a black billet grille set to prevent rock chips on the AC, and some krypton xenon mix headlight bulbs, and I need to get new fogs, just debating clear or yellow black housings, or run aftermarket, since both fogs shattered. The fit is gettin some toys soon, muahahahaaaaaa.