Milking every last drop of power

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by redrumm
those dont really gain any HP numbers, i think thats what he was looking for
"dont really gain..." is an overstatement

they absolutely DO NOT INCREASE HP in anyway

MAY only minutely increase acceleration (so small that it would be undetectable using instruments (i say instruments because the placebo effect is very powerful to normal people) on a non boosted fit)

Last edited by theFITMASTER; 11-26-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Master_Scythe
Hardly one person im going on, and even if I were, his Fit is boosted, he has had it for MANY years, and he can feel free to chime in and talk about his driving habits; besides Ive read every thread on here, and done my share of googling about the issue; I came to several conclusions.

Lighter pulley = less vibration already. Go to a drum kit (cymbal) and replace it with, say, cardboard. No matter how hard you hit it, the vibrations wont transfer to the drum stand. The same goes in reverse, replace it with a thicker metal and hit it, and the resonance will travel through the stand much worse than the original cymbal. This also has to do with the hardness of the new material. As such, Mythelogy have used the 'softer' aluminium, and NOT 'aircraft grade aluminium' (which sounds good, but resonates BADLY), they also DO have a harmonic ballancer on their pulley, it doesnt extend all the way through, but as anyone with logic will tell you, it doesnt need to, to catch harmonics and what not. Softer aluminium, semi-dampened\balanced, lighter, after reading as much as I have Im not too worried.

I wont be deleting my cat, I dont want to remove that much I just wanted to slightly tweak the header (there is obviously SOME restriction there) as different headers ALONE are showing up to 15-10HP gains (at their best).

As for basing my judgement on forums alone, yeah thats stupid, everyone needs to use their own logic and common sense, however to use this as a primary information source is fantastic IMO, who knows better than hundreds of other owners? The engineers MAYBE, but we cant talk to them one on one, and they have to abide by cost restrictions so often not even they know better.

OK, so i'll add bore\polish my header to the list of 'things to do'.

im very very sorry to hear that u think a header will give u up to 15hp (non boosted)

it truly, deeply saddens me that u would believe anybody that tells u that a header, on a NA fit, will give u almost a 20% increase in power!!!

seriously,
majority = average = c grade
would u like the class average grade of "c" or would u like the "a+" from the single geek?
why not go to mcdonalds and get dietary advice there?
why do u think 99.999% of people r not smart enough to become doctors and engineers?
how effective do u think an army would be if it's leaders were the privates voting on things?

experts r experts for a reason

everybody has a heart and brain
would follow the advice of 99 people at the mall or would u heed the advice of a medical professional?

technical stuff (like cars) r way beyond the expertise of the layman (this is not a forum of experts that have been rigorously tested, but merely anyone with internet access (the drug addicted homeless can also use the free library computer) r freely able to post (also there r a lot of profiteers merely trying to squeeze every last buck out of your wallet ...ahem "15hp header salesmen" and people who get free stuff from these people that praise the "company" that gave them free crap to boast positively about that miracle "15hp" header)

Old 11-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
boost=milking

Old 11-26-2009, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
theFITMASTER.....Please share with us less intelligent beings what it is you have done to your car that makes you such an authority... I'd also like to know what motivates you to come on a thread spewing out negatives and nitpicking about such trivial things.... What have you done to your car that has improved it's performance that you can share, or is sharing something that saddens you as well.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:50 PM
The only way to boost horsepower is to either increase torque, or the peak torque point to a higher engine speed (without losing it in the process). The Fit already uses an under-square engine (stroke is longer than bore - good for torque, bad for high RPM operation) and a single overhead camshaft (again, not good for high RPM operation). Reducing back-pressure may improve high end power-response slightly, at the expense of midrange and low end torque. A tiny engine with a 2600 lbs car needs that low/mid range power. Even the iVTEC system is optimized for improving low end torque.

If you could somehow push the engine's peak torque at the ~7,000 RPM redline (the point where the design liabilities of the valvetrain, lubrication, and cooling start to take a significant toll (you'd have 141 hp.) You'd also have a peaky engine that was worthless until you got the revs up. You'd kill your mileage. You'd kill your warranty. You can't escape physics.

And, for all the work you'd have to do to get the engine up to that level, you could buy a base model Civic with the same power, a nice, smooth torque curve, almost the same mileage as a Fit, and better suspension components from the start (no cheap twist beam), and around the same weight.

The Suzuki Hayabusa proves though, that a naturally aspirated engine, with an oversquare design and DOHC can indeed push a significant amount of power from a small block. From it's 1.3 liters of displacement, it produces almost 200 hp, over 10,000 RPM. Hell, any 600cc (0.6 liter) sportbike can push ~120 hp at 15,000+ RPM. The factors that allow these engines to run at these speeds aren't easily imparted into an undersquare, SOHC car engine on the aftermarket.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
A new clutch that grabs harder than the stock one would help you sustain that power youre looking for!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
theFITMASTER.....Please share with us less intelligent beings what it is you have done to your car that makes you such an authority... I'd also like to know what motivates you to come on a thread spewing out negatives and nitpicking about such trivial things.... What have you done to your car that has improved it's performance that you can share, or is sharing something that saddens you as well.
u still dont get it

its called a basic education, street smarts, common sense.....it doesnt matter what i have done to my car

i am here to stop the infection that is known as ignorance

i am the drill instructor that makes u do a 1000 push ups
i am the chemo therapy that makes you puke and makes your hair fall out
i am your mother telling you to eat your vegetables and do your homework

my motivation is based on the fact that we all live on the same planet and i prefer not to live in garbage

Last edited by theFITMASTER; 12-11-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
you forgot to attach the midi sound clip to play your theme song music.