Swap in locking gas cap for GE8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
Swap in locking gas cap for GE8?

Hi all,

Before I tear out my factory gas cap and lanyard, is there a way to retain the factory plastic lanyard and swap in a locking gas cap?

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
The problem is the plastic ring around the OEM gas cap, it's too small to fit on the locking cap. If you could modify the locking cap it could work, but not an easy solution from what I've been seeing. I thought about trying to modify it. You could cut the ring off the OEM, and try to glue the lanyard on to the locking cap's ring somehow (where it wont interfere with turning the cap, but then there's not much space on the ring), just not sure how reliable that will be in the long run.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if Honda or anyone else makes another size tether for the locking cap?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
did a google search and found these:

UNIVERSAL FUEL CAP TETHER (55300) | eBay

Amazon.com: Dorman 55300 HELP! Fuel Cap Tether: Automotive

another idea:
http://gascapcaddy.com/productsAddit...2i3tc9t90qj5p6

Last edited by sooznd; 03-21-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Well, that is what I figured and wanted to check with the forum about.

We have a place to put the gas cap, just hate to remove the factory lanyard and lose that feature and have a half of a part cut off remaining.

I will experiment with it soon myself and see if I can make anything work...

Thanks guys!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned
I have to warn people away from the "Gas Cap Caddy". When I tried this (forunately cheap) device, the plastic "caddy" could not be placed anywhere on the inside of the gas cap door without preventing the door from closing. The locking gas cap sticks so far out that the glue-on caddy hits the gas cap no matter where you try to place it on the inside of the fuel door. The "universl fit" claims are false- this does not work on Fits with locking gas caps.

Also, if you read the one review of the Dorman Fuel Cap Tether on Amazon.com, it says "Don't buy this- it doesn't work". The eBay listing is for exactly the same thing, and the Fit/Element locking caps are made by Stant- the same cap that the negative reviwer said does not fit the tether.

Thanks for the effort sooznd. I hope that you didn't buy any of these yourself.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-21-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the evaluations of the items.. I haven't tried any of them but the ebay one looked more promising since it mentioned multitple sizes

My locking gas cap is still sitting in the garage because I don't want to give up the tether. Also the possibility of someone syphoning my gas is minimal.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Banned
The eBay and Amazon tethers are the same product. The negative review was on Amazon. Most of us know the near-impossibility of siphoning gas from a Fit with the tank being under the front seat and the fuel filler in the rear fender. But thieves are stupid by nature, and will happily try to get away with it anyway. May all fuel thieves turn their faces blue sucking on siphon tubes on Fits that are already almost empty.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-21-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, I would've thought that Amazon (Dorman) tether would've been the best choice.

I decided a few months ago that I don't care, and also can't stand the tether anymore. It's annoying to get the OEM cap to hang in the fuel door hanger, plus when it slips/falls out it has more of a tendency to brush up against the side of the car (scratches, etc.).
Originally Posted by sooznd
.......My locking gas cap is still sitting in the garage because I don't want to give up the tether. Also the possibility of someone syphoning my gas is minimal.
Mine's been in my basement within a (neat) pile of my JDM parts waiting to be installed for almost 2 yrs. Found a good price on keying the lock cylinder to match the ignition key, but the locksmith's hours are worse than bankers... might just take of a few hrs early and get this done this week, as well as the other mods waiting for my time.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Banned
Wow! With the rush that you have been in to use your locking gas cap, it's a good thing that I caught you before you made what might be a miistake. (jk). If you carry your ignition key on a long key ring (as I do), using the ignition key to unlock the gas cap will cause scratches in your paint from the rest of the keys hanging down against the fender. If you don't have a long key ring, forget what I said.

I keep one gas cap key floating around in the bottom of the glove box as the emergency spare, and the other cap key has the loop side Velcro wrapping the head. I put a wide strip of the hook side Velcro on the left, vertical side of the dash, and the gas key just stays stuck there for the infrequent need to gas up.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
got the Acura switchblade key... and I never keep any other keys on my ignition key, don't need the extra weight on the lock cylinder.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FitStir
got the Acura switchblade key... and I never keep any other keys on my ignition key, don't need the extra weight on the lock cylinder.
You're all set then. Gosh, I didn't know that Fits were noted for major problems caused by extra weight on the lock cylinder. I guess that I'd better take aboout 5 pounds off my key ring! Maybe my pants would stay up after that adjustment.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Triskelion
You're all set then. Gosh, I didn't know that Fits were noted for major problems caused by extra weight on the lock cylinder. I guess that I'd better take aboout 5 pounds off my key ring! Maybe my pants would stay up after that adjustment.
Wise guy, huh?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned
Who me? Thanks for the mod tip that also benefits the wardrobe.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
what is the best solution for these?

i am going to buy the LOCKING Gas Gap soon...

My concern is not the gasoline being siphoned/stolen "BUT" something
being "PUT" inside the gas tank by some prankster. ex: sugar/sand/ anything
that could do serious damage to the engine!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by phenoyz
what is the best solution for these?

i am going to buy the LOCKING Gas Gap soon...

My concern is not the gasoline being siphoned/stolen "BUT" something
being "PUT" inside the gas tank by some prankster. ex: sugar/sand/ anything
that could do serious damage to the engine!!!
Tough neighborhood, huh? Due to the small size of the fuel filler cavity and the tall size of the Stant locking gas cap, I haven't seen any good solutions yet. I have just never driven off while leaving the gas cap on the roof, but many have. If I ever make the mistake of losing the cap, I will certainly find a way to prevent that from hapening again.

The rectangular paddles that are used to turn the cap open or closed are pretty beefy. My approach would be to find some kind of tether material that wouldn't scratch painted surfaces, and attach one end to the body where the original tether used to be anchored. I would then drill a small hole in one of the cap paddles, and use a little sheet metal screw to hold the tether to the cap. Maybe some small gauge, really flexible insulated electrical wire would work as the tether, with a crimp-on ring terminal with a loose fit would serve to hold the tether to the screw in the cap. If I ever decide to make a tether, that is what I would try first.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-22-2012 at 12:49 AM.