Newcomer

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Newcomer

I have a new red Honda Fit Sport (I had a base but it drowned). I just joined this forum because I'm interested in modifying (?) my Fit. I have approximately 0 knowledge of DIY yourself stuff, but I like to think of myself as pretty able/handy and a fast learner. So this is kind of a broad question but: where should I begin? Right now my Fit is entirely stock.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Suspension, wheels and tires.... I've only had my sport for 2 months and that's on my to-do list first.
I'm totally new to this so I'm sure others will have different opinions.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by honduhfit
Suspension, wheels and tires.... I've only had my sport for 2 months and that's on my to-do list first.
Thats a pretty good starting point I would say. My first mod was window tint and I suggest it to everyone that gets a Fit. An intake can give your go-kart a nice little growl, couple that with an exhaust and you'll have a nice sound.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by honduhfit
I'd say the same, myself.

Everybody's got their own preference, but for me the Fit is a chuckable little thing that doesn't need gobs of power to have fun in.

Personally my first mod was the audio head unit. My second-hand GD came with a stock 1-DIN Kenwood unit that refused to play CDs even after repair, so out it went and in came a Pioneer USB/iPod-capable head unit. Wheels and tires were probably my second mod.

Oh, and I think you'll want to buy a better, louder horn. I'm sorry to say this but GD and GE stock horns are simply pathetic.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
I think it's good to start thinking about what type of thing appeals to you:

1) "Light" cosmetic modifications like a new shift knob, tinted windows, etc
2) "Heavy" cosmetic mods like a body kit, vinyl wrap etc
3) Performance modifications like, as mentioned, tires, suspension
4) More serious performance mods like turbocharging, race prepping etc.

The reason I separate light and heavy is mostly because you can do minor stuff more or less in isolation, while turning your car into a turbocharged monster or doing an engine swap requires months of years of planning .. don't worry, I won't be at all surprised if such a thing is not interesting, I don't have interest either, but just wanted to mention it! Tires/suspension are a little bit in between - it's best to do the research and buy what you need for your situation

Personally I tend to go for very, very subtle cosmetic or drivability modifications. I might feel differently if I ever had a car I didn't view that highly, but to my eye the Fit comes from the factory pretty much set up well for driving and comfort ... although there are a few things ... :P

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa

The reason I separate light and heavy is mostly because you can do minor stuff more or less in isolation, while turning your car into a turbocharged monster or doing an engine swap requires months of years of planning .. don't worry, I won't be at all surprised if such a thing is not interesting, I don't have interest either, but just wanted to mention it! Tires/suspension are a little bit in between - it's best to do the research and buy what you need for your situation
Great post. +rep

Old 11-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa

Personally I tend to go for very, very subtle cosmetic or drivability modifications. I might feel differently if I ever had a car I didn't view that highly, but to my eye the Fit comes from the factory pretty much set up well for driving and comfort ... although there are a few things ... :P
I'm interested in some sort of light stuff mostly because that's what I can picture myself doing and affording
but that's sort of part of my question. What sort of price range is something like suspension or wheels and what is the chance I could do this on my own given I don't currently have that much knowledge about cars?

Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM
My personal intentions are for auto crossing my grocery getter

Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Cosmetic stuff is usually lower budget. An intake adds to the butt dyno but others swear it's just more noise; you can easily do that yourself. Ditto wheels .. they just come off ...

Suspension mods are slightly more complicated. Yes, a beginner I think could do it IF they followed the instructions on this site. However, I note two types of failures common here:
1) Lack of confidence - it's not all THAT complicated but a lot of people don't want to get into it without having a more experienced hand around.
2) Lack of diligence - many people do not follow the very important note to not drop the axle off the car and then find themselves with a stuck car and casting around for someone to come fix it (definitely fixable if you do this, but just a real pain).
So those are basically two opposite types of failures, I guess you can read into that whatever you want. I might stick to wheels, cosmetic stuff, and maintenance items like plugs, oil etc. Once you can maintain your car will, you will probably develop the confidence to do a suspension change. I haven't yet needed to do it, but I'm at a point where I would at least try without too much fear