Brake bleeding sequence / order for Right Hand Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Brake bleeding sequence / order for Right Hand Drive

Hi all,

I'm new to our forum, and excited to learn more about Fit (Jazz) DIY. I've been working on my other cars for a while now so have little experience to bring to the Jazz.

Please note, I live in Australia, so my fit is Right Hand Drive (steering wheel on the right, is that a correct term?).

About to flush the old brake oil, I went to http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.htm for information, and all I got was the picture attached. The order from Honda is Front Left - Front Right - Rear Right - Rear Left. Now I believe this is base on the Fit LHD with master cylinder on the left, mines opposite.

So my question is, should I do the opposite of the sequence / order shown? It will be Front Right - Front Left - Rear Left - Rear Right instead.

P/S: I know in general, it shouldn't really affect anything, but Honda put it there for a reason, so I'd love to just follow it to avoid any issues.

Thank you all, and wish you all a good day!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by azn310
Hi all,

I'm new to our forum, and excited to learn more about Fit (Jazz) DIY. I've been working on my other cars for a while now so have little experience to bring to the Jazz.

Please note, I live in Australia, so my fit is Right Hand Drive (steering wheel on the right, is that a correct term?).

About to flush the old brake oil, I went to http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.htm for information, and all I got was the picture attached. The order from Honda is Front Left - Front Right - Rear Right - Rear Left. Now I believe this is base on the Fit LHD with master cylinder on the left, mines opposite.

So my question is, should I do the opposite of the sequence / order shown? It will be Front Right - Front Left - Rear Left - Rear Right instead.

P/S: I know in general, it shouldn't really affect anything, but Honda put it there for a reason, so I'd love to just follow it to avoid any issues.

Thank you all, and wish you all a good day!
I am about to buy a "Motive Power Brake Bleeder Kit" that attaches a pressured reservoir of fresh brake fluid to the master cylinder. All you have to do is bleed each wheel's bleed valve until clear fluid emerges into a collection container. One person is all that is necessary, and no one needs to pump the brake pedal to bleed the system. The price is high, but I will be working on two cars and the savings over paying a shop for the work will more than pay for the kit.

The point of my answer is, it won't make any difference what order is used for the system bleeding. I have not purchased the kit yet and its instructions may differ from my explanation, but I can't see what difference would be made by which wheel is done first, second, third or fourth. With fresh fluid being pressurized through the master cyl., and clear fluid being collected at each wheel, there can be no difference in the order. The whole system would have to be clean.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I believe the kit you are getting would make things much simpler.

And yes, I agree that any order should be fine. I've bled and flush brake fluids on my older cars just fine.

However, the reason I asked is because the Fit / Jazz manual says the car runs on 2 separate brake lines (connecting FR to RL and FL to RR, for emergency purposes should one line fails), also the ABS thing and the 'hidden passages' is not my cup of tea.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:02 AM
I would be very surprised if the two brake circuits are connected diagonally, as failure of either one would cause the car to pull rather strongly to one side during braking, as the front brakes supply much more of the braking power than the rears (due to weight balance and weight shifting during deceleration). The usual approach is to have the fronts on one circuit and the rears on the other. Dual circuit brakes have been the usual practice in all cars fro quite some time (decades), so the Fit is hardly unique in that regard.

At any rate, the service manual you linked to covers both RHD and LHD models with the differences noted in other sections. Since there's no commentary about that for the brake bleeding instructions, the order should still apply. (Also note the service manual covers older models, and things may or may not have changed with the current generation of cars. You didn't mention what year your car was....)

And I agree that there's no obvious reason why the order should be important, except perhaps to stay organized sufficiently to ensure no wheel gets skipped.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 AM
Thanks DrewE for reconfirming that it is ok to bleed the brake in any order.

I was surprise to learn about the diagonal brake circuits too. My older car has front and rear circuits separately. I have same thought as you as to how unsafe diagonal circuits would be, or maybe we should just trust Honda engineers and keep our fingers crossed Here's proof from my manual:

Sry I forgot to mention my Jazz is 2005 model VTEC 1.5 GD3 L15A1. I guess it is old enough for me to use that online manual

Old 02-17-2013, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
I wonder what the thinking is on that design.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
What I've been doing for a couple years now...

Alternate on each fluid bleed, between ATE Blue and ATE Type200 (same exact formulation but one is amber (Type200) and the other is Blue.

So, when bleeding, I simply use the new color and continue to bleed each brake until I get a good consistent new color stream.

The change in color gives me positive identification that I've pushed all the old fluid out of that brake line.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Oh, and yea, I love the SpeedBleeders too!! Work perfect and makes it a one-man job.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Most systems show most distant from reservoir first then closer ones. Honda of course would be different. Air is the problem, don't let any get in and any order would be good.