GD3 Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
GD3 Cold Air Intake

I am thinking about installing a custom cold air intake into the driver side fender. The reason I am thinking about doing this is I have noticed the after market intakes are very long and I do not want to aim my intake downward in case it does suck up water. I do not want a short intake, as that serves no purpose.

What I plan on doing is getting two pieces of aluminium piping at 90 degree angles and welding them together. I intend to run the piping in front of the battery and into the driver side fender. Pop off plastic wheel well covering install filter and then replace wheel cover. That is my plan as it will not suck up any water and will give me the cold air into my engine oppose to the hot air from engine bay.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Banned
No need to make it- it already exists-

PRM Jet Stream

Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
I see. Thanks for the link. $269 for one of those.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
I see. Thanks for the link. $269 for one of those.
Yep- made in Canada, works GREAT. YOur idea of a filter inside the fender-well won't work.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
I see. That is a shame. I liked the idea. Are there any other cold airs out there that are guranteed not to suck water? Can't I just not install with a normal cold air intake with a shorter pipe so the filter is higher in the engine bay

Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Banned
I see. That is a shame. I liked the idea. Are there any other cold airs out there that are guranteed not to suck water? Can't I just not install with a normal cold air intake with a shorter pipe so the filter is higher in the engine bay
The PRM is a cold air intake that cannot suck water into the engine. The stock GD3 intake is also a real cold air intake- it picks up air through the hole in the side of the engine bay, and that is where the PRM also picks up air. Feel free to try your own idea, but there is a whole lot more water, and a whole lot less room between the fender and plastic fender liner than you think (at least on a freeway in a rain storm).

Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
I understand. I think I may lay off on this for a while. I do hear you on the PRM and water is a big concern. Maybe I will look into some other alternatives for a cold air intake.

What are the other members on the board using for theirs? Wouldn't mind hearing some more suggestions of possibilities.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Banned
I understand. I think I may lay off on this for a while. I do hear you on the PRM and water is a big concern. Maybe I will look into some other alternatives for a cold air intake.

What are the other members on the board using for theirs? Wouldn't mind hearing some more suggestions of possibilities.
If you have the budget, the PRM system comes as close to your original idea as is possible/practical. You get cold air from the same port in the fender wall as you did with the stock intake, but no danger of water ingestion in the engine. The PRM filter is cleanable and lasts forever with proper maintenance, and makes more HP than the stock intake, simply because the stock system is restricted by baffles to reduce noise.

If you need more info., just call PRM and talk with the system's inventor, Jerry Sica.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
It is more of a budget issue if anything. I think this mod will have to be put in "the not so important list".

Old 08-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Just a forewarning on those in fender CAI. I had one on my 91 sho, car started running rough after a while, turns out the maf sensor got pretty dirty.