General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Music Link STINKS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Thumbs down Honda Music Link STINKS!!!

Dear Honda: Please take your Music Link back to the drawing board and dream it all up again. In short, this product is a disaster. Even if the product worked the way it's supposed to according to the instructions (IT DOESN'T), it would still be a disaster.

Here are the biggest problems with Music Link:
  • Does not use the head unit's display to show the names of songs, artists, albums, or playlists; this makes navigating to the songs on your iPod unnecessarily difficult. It also completely takes away your ability to learn the title of something on your iPod that you don't already know the title of... THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.
  • You need to install the Honda TTS software onto your PC in order to "take advantage" of all the features of Music Link.
  • The software you install wreaks havoc with iTunes, creating numerous new playlists for the sake of the interface.
  • The TTS (text to speech) software also creates a short sound file for the names of each artist, album, and playlist; these sound files must be kept on your iPod, eating up valuable space.
  • The TTS software needs to update every time you update your iPod, adding additional time and aggravation to what is ordinarily a very quick and painless process without Honda's software.
  • Again, trying to navigate is INCREDIBLY ANNOYING because the already non-user-friendly published functionality doesn't pan out when you are using it for real. It's just too difficult to successfully navigate to the songs on your iPod for the technologically savvy, let alone someone who may not be.
I purchased Honda Music Link installed with my 2007 Fit Sport for $350. Prior to that mistake, I was enjoying the direct connection between my iPod and my Alpine head unit that cost me $30 to purchase and another $30 to install. The Alpine interaction with my iPod was SEAMLESS, and no software is EVER required in order for it to be that way.

Honda, you should be embarrassed to have this awful product being installed into your cars. Didn't anyone do any user acceptance testing on this???

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of other reasons that this product should not be being sold in its current state, but I think I've conveyed the major reasons for my frustration above. I wish I would've been able to see a demonstration of Music Link before spending so much money on such a TERRIBLE product.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:14 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
this is why our dealership doesnt even sell these anymore.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
this is why our dealership doesnt even sell these anymore.
Kudos to your dealership... No one I've spoken with at the dealership from which I purchased my car seems to have ever even seen a demonstration of Music Link...

Old 11-25-2006, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
I'm taking mine in on wednesday because the music link stopped working AGAIN. In theory a good idea with alot of kinks to work out but that is in theory. In reality... A nightmare!!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Master FitFreaker
thats why I use my aux cable