General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Windshield freezing on the inside??

Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Windshield freezing on the inside??

hey guys:

We are having some real cold temperatures and snow here in vancouver, canada. the windshield on my fit has been freezing on the inside.....even before we had this cold spell....i was starting to notice it.
called 5 honda dealerships and they said to bring the car in and leave it overnight so they can track down the problem.

just wondering if anyone has had this same problem.
im thinking there might be a leak somewher??

any opinions/advice is appreciated

Old 11-28-2006, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
mine is doing it too, especially the rear passenger windows
i just drive it with fresh air now and ac on all the time

Old 11-29-2006, 01:20 AM
My civic was doing it. I was using the scraper inside! I think it's to cold here.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Freezing? Or are those water vapor? Moisture?

I think I have the same problem... its not freezing... but the windows fog up almost all the time when I drive? I don't understand...

Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 AM
I grew up in Fort St. John BC and we have this problem every winter when it gets cold. I have had a range of vehicles that this has happened to and I am pretty sure it is not a rare occurance with just the Fits. It only happens because of the difference of temperature/relative humidity from the outside of the car compared to the temperatures/humidity on the inside.

I have only seen this for the past 25 years of living in Canada.

Currently getting a slightly cold -30 degrees here in Lethbridge but the old Fit keeps on starting and likes to drive in this kind of weather, I have only noticed a very small amount of frost on the inside, nothing compared to what I remember when i was up north.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit-in-Richmond
I think I have the same problem... its not freezing... but the windows fog up almost all the time when I drive? I don't understand...
Are you sure you have it set for outside air?

I always install a 6" 12V fan pointed to the rear to circulate air from the passenger side to the back and around the rear windows.
Especially with the Fits large interior volume.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Don't do Tim Hortons runs in sub zero temperatures,

Old 11-29-2006, 08:55 AM
that problem is a byatch....usually with thinner body and large glassy area subcompacts and japanese makes in-general.

Run the AC/w/Defrost on a high setting in the winter and crack a window while driving for the first few clicks...that's where VentVisors/Window Visors come in-handy too.

Before leaving your car parked for prolonged periods of time...run that AC/Defrost heat to suck as much moisture laden air contained in your car to lessen the impact of the frost on the inside. Do not set to air recirc mode. you wanna get that moisture air outta there.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:23 AM
This has happened on just about every car I've ever owned when it gets real cold - and here in Minneapolis, it does....

Breathing people generate a lot of humidity, along with whatever snow you bring in that melts due to the heater in the car being on. You need to get that extra water out.

1) Make sure that you're getting fresh air, i.e. don't have the vent set to recirculate - somebody already mentioned this.

2) Use the defrost w/AC on (this happens automatically on the fits..)

3) When you park the car, leave one window on each side just a crack. This will allow the drier outside air to come in and whatever moisture's left in the car when you shut off out. The colder it is, the bigger difference doing this makes. If I don't do this, on the really cold days I have NOTHING on the outside to scrape off (because very cold = very dry), but the insides like a fridge that hasn't been defrosted in months...

Old 11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Or you could use "Frost Shields" LOL

Most of you are too young to know what they were and the mad rush
to get them on your windows. Mandatory from Nov. to April in some places.

Don't know if they make them anymore. Do a search on Google for "frost shields"+cars. Maybe even read a page mentioning fender skirts, continental kits, etc.
http://www.stearnsinc.com/aboutus.aspx

I even attached a wired frost shield to the rear window that ran on the 12v before they put them in the glass.

By the way, I'm 67 and I drive my Fit like a teenager! Love the Fit.

Last edited by willmax11; 11-29-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
don't use rain-x antifog on your windows
that stuff is crap
just made my windows fog up faster and left streaks everywhere

Old 11-29-2006, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Damn. Sounds really cold where you guys live.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by xdimsumx
don't use rain-x antifog on your windows
that stuff is crap
just made my windows fog up faster and left streaks everywhere
Strange that it doesn't do that to mine, seems to work wuite well in the summer and have not had a problem with it in the winter. Maybe you haven't applied it correctly

Old 11-29-2006, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
should have been put on correctly, followed directions right on the bottle and even googled it to see if i was doing it right
turned up with lots of posts from people having the same results as me
i've tried 5-6 times on 2 different cars

Old 12-05-2006, 01:44 AM
I came on to this forum today to talk about this particular topic, so I am glad I am not the only one having this problem.

I live in Chicago so we get really hot winters and even colder winters and the worst part being the year round humidity. All that equals pretty crappy driving condition.

I have been having this problem a lot lately and its really pissing me off because I have never had this problem this bad before with any of my previous cars, well not this bad anyway.

Its mostly in the back windows, front windows, and the tops of the front windshield.

So annoying.....

Old 12-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Frank Patrick
Dew point (amt. of moisture in air) is never greater then the air temp.. If the air cools moisture must be removed from the air and this is done by condensation-the tiny droplets you see on the inside of your glass-making for fogged up glass, which, if cold enough can freeze. Aviators have known for years one the ways to reduce this is to keep the inside surface extermely clean, lessening the surface area the droplets can cling to. An old stand by (viniger and H20) with newspapare as a towel, does a good job of cleaning. Only after the window is THROUGHLY cleaned will products such as Rain-X work. Such products will worsen the prolem if applied over in the smallest amount of surface grime. When applied correctly however they should in theory make the surface so smooth the droplets can not adhere an roll off.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by tershel
hey guys:

We are having some real cold temperatures and snow here in vancouver, canada. the windshield on my fit has been freezing on the inside.....even before we had this cold spell....i was starting to notice it.
called 5 honda dealerships and they said to bring the car in and leave it overnight so they can track down the problem.

just wondering if anyone has had this same problem.
im thinking there might be a leak somewher??

any opinions/advice is appreciated
left it on the refresh mode for a week and the freezing/moisture build up is gone.

also the annoying sound with my wipers went away....
all this must be part of the car being breakin in...now at 5700kms.

thanks

Old 12-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RedAndy
This has happened on just about every car I've ever owned when it gets real cold - and here in Minneapolis, it does....

Breathing people generate a lot of humidity, along with whatever snow you bring in that melts due to the heater in the car being on. You need to get that extra water out.

1) Make sure that you're getting fresh air, i.e. don't have the vent set to recirculate - somebody already mentioned this.

2) Use the defrost w/AC on (this happens automatically on the fits..)

3) When you park the car, leave one window on each side just a crack. This will allow the drier outside air to come in and whatever moisture's left in the car when you shut off out. The colder it is, the bigger difference doing this makes. If I don't do this, on the really cold days I have NOTHING on the outside to scrape off (because very cold = very dry), but the insides like a fridge that hasn't been defrosted in months...
thank you so much for your advice, it really helped me out a lot!

So far the fogged up windows and the frost inside is gone and I can finally see out the windows...wooohoooo!

lol