General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Anyone within a few hours of Boston or VT want to help with Valve Adjustment $$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Anyone within a few hours of Boston or VT want to help with Valve Adjustment $$$

I have a manual 2008 fit with 148k which has never had the valves adjusted. It stalls every morning when you put it in gear until I warm the engine up (either by idling for 5 minutes or driving it steadily for about a minute) then usually runs great the rest of the day. I bought the car a couple months ago, engine and transmission are in good shape but it sat for a while, and before that was driven mainly short distances so my catalytic converter is also going bad and is throwing the code p421, I smell the sulfur occasionally going uphill with no loss in gas mileage (34 combined) or power. I don't think it's the cause of the stall issue, but someone can chime in if they think different.

I would like to address the valve adjustment right away and replace any plugs and ignition coils that seem bad at that time, the bolts for the ignition coils are a little bit rusty.

I'd like to be present, and have a confident mechanic either help me do it or let me watch them so I can do it myself next time with confidence. I can pay up to about $200.

Honda Fits are the only cars I'm owning from now on due to the combined space and fuel economy, I need the first in class headroom in a small car mainly.

Sidenote: I just discovered I also need to replace the radiator I think I discovered a small leak even though the car is not overheating, I imagine I'm going to break some plastic parts off the bumper that attach/clip the bumper on (one side already is) any suggestions on -Bumper Reinstall- if the plastic part of the bumper that clips on breaks completely?

Thank you much for any suggestions, and if anyone can help me with the valve lash adjustment for a couple hundred bucks.