General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit Cancelled for USA

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Question 2020 Fits and Beyond

No info anywhere on the 2020 Fits as far as I could find from GOOGLE or BING.

Almost looks like Fits will no longer be mfg'd (Mexico, Japan, US) due to slumping sales.

The OCT Tokyo Auto Show website says the Jazz will be showcased, but no definitive news on Fit.

Called several dealerships in the USA and they are basically clueless.

Honda USA says I hear nothing I see nothing.

Honda is either being very deceptive/secretive on an enhanced model or this is indeed history for the Fit?

Anyone from the Fit Forum have some knowledge on its future? Looking to replace my older EX with another one. I love the car.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Most of the next gen Fit threads get moved to General Talk. The consensus is same-no clue if it's coming here. Having said that, I'd be surprised if Honda abandons this market given Toyota, Nissan, Hyunda, and Kia are in it with their subcompact.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
The Tokyo auto show is largely aimed at the Japanese media and public and so the Jazz is important but the North American Fit is of little interest to anyone there. It will presumably be announced shortly later in the US. Since Honda has never spent much on promoting the Fit, instead of the flashy caviar and shrimp Jazz extravaganza at Tokyo, look for press conference rollout here maybe to be held at some LA hot dog stand.

I think the Fit - even though it doesn't have huge sales - is still very important to Honda in helping them meet their overall fuel economy targets. It helps to offset the numbers from those big gas guzzling SUVs which are so, so profitable.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by jmsc
Called several dealerships in the USA and they are basically clueless.
you must have called the parts department. in albuquerque.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Called a few local dealerships in CT. Called a dealer near Marysville OH. Called a biggie in Boston. Called some dealer in NC. Called the largest USA volume Honda dealer near LA. Called corporate Honda in Torrance CA. Did not call NM. All responses were "nada".

It just boggles my mind. Honda makes and sells a great product. Keep marketing that product. But don't ever tell me "I don't know" to a sales question!.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
If there is no 2020 fit in USA then I will probably be shopping for the last 5-speed Sport model in the country.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:13 AM
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...-v-134323.html

There's quite a few articles like this reporting that the new fit will being unveiled at the tokyo auto show. I'm sure there will be a 2020 fit. What I'm curious about is the possibility of a fit hybrid with the i-MMD system. Supposedly they've made the system even more compact to fit in the....fit.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Which way Does The Wind Blow?

https://www.vtec.net/forums/one-mess...age_id=1394936

It's still a mystery, unfortunately.

The folks at Temple Of VTEC are fretting over this, too. There are a few opinions that the next Fit won't be coming to the US, and as pointed out, this creates a problem for Honda, e.g., no car in the line up beneath the Civic, which is getting bigger and more expensive.

If so, has Honda conceded the small hatch business to its competitors?

If the US market becomes more attractive, Honda could always offer the Fit again at some point down the line.

Just my $.02.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
2020 Jazz . Go to these .
+

Old 09-23-2019, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
In my area I see Fits all over the place and my local dealer can't keep them on the lot.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Odie
That's the current model.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Farrago
https://www.vtec.net/forums/one-mess...age_id=1394936

It's still a mystery, unfortunately.

The folks at Temple Of VTEC are fretting over this, too. There are a few opinions that the next Fit won't be coming to the US, and as pointed out, this creates a problem for Honda, e.g., no car in the line up beneath the Civic, which is getting bigger and more expensive.

If so, has Honda conceded the small hatch business to its competitors?

If the US market becomes more attractive, Honda could always offer the Fit again at some point down the line.

Just my $.02.
Yeah, I am not getting a warm fuzzy about 4th gen NA fit at the moment. The rumor about the Mexico factory going 100% HRV is pretty compelling.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
It never ceased to surprise how many online people and news organizations would pass off pictures of the current model and label it as the new redesigned model for next year.

There are currently two factories in Mexico making the HRV. One make just the HRV and the other makes both the HRV and Fit. I don't see the HRV as being that popular that it'd production would completely fill two factories.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
All car manufacturers seem to be focusing their production.
You've got some big names, cutting back or eliminating in some cases, sedan sales, etc, to focus on the more popular North American love affair with SUV's.

Obviously I hope Honda doesn't stop producing or more likely simply stop selling the Fit in North America, but it wouldn't really shock me if they did.

The ability to make larger cars more efficient, and simultaneously the relatively seemingly stable and lower price of gasoline, really put's a small hatch-back behind the 8 ball.

I simply like small cars. I wanted a small hatch-back.
But if that wasn't the case, would I be looking at a FIT? No, because you can get much larger vehicles with near to the same gas mileage, and if you are talking higher trim levels of the FIT, the price difference isn't really huge either.

I also suspect Honda thinks every Fit sold, takes away a possible HRV sale.
In many ways the HRV is an upsized version of the Fit...yes, I know there are differences.

But unfortunately it all adds up to it wouldn't surprise me too much if the FIT is fighting for it's USA, and North American life.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:10 AM
i thought (hoped) the SUV craze was fading off, but apparently i havnt been paying attention until recently. its strange to me that so many people like them, ive always preferred small cars. even the FIT seems huge compared to a ef, ek or eg civic when parked next to it. i miss the days of 2 door, standard transmission compact cars. the current civics are more Accord like than anything. and the accord might as well be a Lincoln. dont even get me started on the new Japanese pickup trucks. (i miss u datsun).

really honda is just giving america what the bulk wants. most people associate bigger with better when purchasing anything. bigger hamburger, bigger car, bigger house, bigger butts. i think it simply comes down to perceived value and image.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
I personally enjoy my Fit. I plan on driving it until it completely breaks down (which might not be a long as I'd hope if the recent repairs are any indication).

That said, I am looking into buying an HR-V.

When the HR-V was introduced, it didn't make any sense to me.

I generally dislike SUVs, primarily due to their enormous size for people that almost always drive around by themselves with no cargo/baggage in the back. It just seems so wasteful to me. Not to mention the typical gas guzzling.

So, why am I suddenly wanting an HR-V?

My sister and her family has a huge as Chrysler Town & Country along with a recently bought used BMW X3, which is replacing a Mercedes GLK350 (also bought used). Their oldest daughter is off to a (temporary?) research job during her un-intentional gap year before college... so she's taking the Merc with her.

None of which my mother can get into since she cracked her hip, at least, not on her own. Nor can she can she manage to get out on her own either.

My Fit is more than low enough for her to get in (cautiously while bracing herself). But although she "can," she then struggles to get out.

My father, who was quite strong for age until recently, has been showing signs that he's not far off from her. He has to brace himself to get in and out of my car too.

Last week, after a long time of thinking about it, I finally decided to actually go and measure the seat height off the ground. While in the driver's seat, my Fit measures about 20" off the ground (note: it has Swift Springs, meaning it's lower than stock). A Chrysler T&C used as a "runabout" at a Honda dealer (or maybe it was a Dodge Caravan) measured 30" at the lowest point when lowered, but the front part of the seat was still slightly higher. The HR-V was a mere 24", which surprised me. I thought it would be higher.

While I plan on using some sort of performance spring to lower the overall height, I'm hoping it'll be a lot easier for them to get in and out of.

Oh make no mistake, it's not all altruism, much of this is my own "desire" too.The purchase, regardless of the actual vehicle will satisfy my "want" for something "new and shiny." The HR-V, especially in the Touring trim (expensive! for what it is), will fulfill many check boxes of my own.

So, going back to the first sentence, I really enjoy my Fit. But times change, situations change... heck even the vehicle in question changes (as in things are starting to break down). Last thing I need is another consecutive month/week of borrowing someone's minivan while my only car is in the shop for some other costly repair. My plan is to have both the Fit and HR-V and slowly transition over as the Fit breaks down more and more (I'm serious, the transmission doesn't sound too good and there's a huge clunk when I hard brake sometimes).

Last edited by Goobers; 09-24-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
It would be ironic for Honda to cite “poor sales” as a reason to discontinue the Fit in North America when in fact the Mexican factory has been plagued with production and delivery issues, making Fits unavailable for long periods of time.

The initial roll out of the GK was almost a year late. Then to make room for the HRV, Honda shifted production back to Japan. Then they shifted production back to Mexico only to have the plant idled by a flood for most of 2018. For Honda to claim poor sales as a reason to discontinue the Fit would be disingenuous at best. How can Honda expect to sell a car that they can’t consistently deliver due to their own bad decisions?

Old 09-26-2019, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Latest Article

This article suggests that the US will get the Fit with a 1 liter, turbocharged 125 hp engine. BUT, if you look down in the comments, one person states that it won't. The "reputable source" strikes again.

https://www.motor1.com/news/372968/h...-teased-debut/

Old 09-26-2019, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
The same guy is saying no Fit on Jalopnik. I smell a troll.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member

Quick Reply: Fit Cancelled for USA