General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

20,000 Mile Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
20,000 Mile Review

Hi All

I figured I'd post some quick thoughts on the Fit, now that I have hit the 20k mark. I have an '07 Black Fit Sport.

All in all, I love the Fit. I have always liked small cars and the Fit is perfect for me right now. I own my own buisness and cover a lot of miles. Honestly, I thought I'd be closer to 30k by now, but I have done a lot of air and train travel this year and those were days where the Fit was just sitting.

As with all Honda vehicles I have owned, I think the mileage is sufficient, but probably could be better. That being said, I have a lead foot and I drive a lot of highway miles at high speed, so that is probably causing mileage to be a bit lower than it could be. Either way, I cover a lot of miles, and time is more important to me than the mileage if I were to slow down. I would guess I have averaged somewhere around 32.5 mpg overall. Considering my last daily driver was an Element that got 21 mpg, it has been quite a difference.

I have had no issues with the car at all. I like driving it a whole lot more than I expected I would. The 5 speed is very good for a car in this price range. My only complaint would have to be the legroom in the driver seat, or more specifically, the lack of thigh support for tall drivers.

The seating configuration rocks. I have a one year old that rides with me to daycare about 3 days a week. Otherwise, I can fold the seats and use the car to haul stuff for the business. I have spent less time in the Element than I thought I would...there were times when I couldn't believe the amount of stuff I was able to get into the Fit.

I now have added both a Garmin and Sirius Radio to the Fit. I also have my Dell DJ wired in. Between the Sirius and the Garmin, as well as some pretty good radio in the Philly area, I am content with the long drives.

I am ready to take on the next 20,000, and hope to continue to have no issues.

I can't imagine not being thrilled with the Fit, especially considering the price...

Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Frank Patrick
At 6'7''-I could always use a bit more leg room- however of all the smaller cars I have owened the Fit is defintely the best in that department. Great to see that in 20K- there have been no major issues. I suspect the next 20 will be the same. How are the OEM tires looking?

Old 12-11-2006, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Was the element more comfortable for leg room for you?

Old 12-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Frank Patrick
At 6'7''-I could always use a bit more leg room- however of all the smaller cars I have owened the Fit is defintely the best in that department. Great to see that in 20K- there have been no major issues. I suspect the next 20 will be the same. How are the OEM tires looking?
Im pretty disappointed with the OEM tires. I know that typically stock tires are a little softer (tread that is, and please dont jump on me as Consumer Reports will back me one this) and wear much faster than some less expensive counterparts. I have 9k on my fit and the tires have already shown some substantial wear. I made the dealership check alignment (and of course they have been rotated) and all is kosher. I expect them to last at this rate about 20k. Thank God for Tirerack.com for great prices. Of course it doesnt help that I e-brake on dry pavement for fun sometimes (maybe once a month) and have been known to push the cornering to the limits. Anyway, have others had the poor tire wear that I have (treat my Olds Alero the same with aftermarkets (got 70k out of OEMs) and tread wear is as expected)? Any thoughts?

Old 12-12-2006, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
The Element certainly had more legroom, so it probably was a bit more comfortable. However, driving the Element is nowhere near as fun, so I'd choose the Fit any day. Except perhaps in 18" of fresh powder.

Last edited by rjm161; 12-12-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
As for tires, there's no doubt I need them soon. I haven't hated the OEMs even though I have never been the biggest Dunlop fan. Since I have Blizzaks on the Element for the winter, I figure I may try to get 4 more months out of the tires on the Fit. I do worry a bit about getting caught out in snow, because I'm not sure how they'd do at this point.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:11 AM
What kind of Garmin unit did you get?

Old 12-12-2006, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
I have the c330. Even though I have never been the type to be lost or have trouble finding places, I can't believe how much it has simplified my life. I love just putting the address in and then not having to think about it. The arrival time feature is something I can't live without. I even use it for driving home, so I can know about what time I'll arrive.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mjrossman17
Im pretty disappointed with the OEM tires. I know that typically stock tires are a little softer (tread that is, and please dont jump on me as Consumer Reports will back me one this) and wear much faster than some less expensive counterparts. I have 9k on my fit and the tires have already shown some substantial wear. I made the dealership check alignment (and of course they have been rotated) and all is kosher. I expect them to last at this rate about 20k. Thank God for Tirerack.com for great prices. Of course it doesnt help that I e-brake on dry pavement for fun sometimes (maybe once a month) and have been known to push the cornering to the limits. Anyway, have others had the poor tire wear that I have (treat my Olds Alero the same with aftermarkets (got 70k out of OEMs) and tread wear is as expected)? Any thoughts?
OEM tires are almost always overpriced, but I usually find that they are too firm, not too soft!

20k miles out of a set is not bad regardless.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:47 PM
My tires have also lost a decent amount of tread. It's too early to tell when i'll need a new set, but I'm at 10,600 miles now and the wear shows.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
I'm just over 15,000 miles on my Fit.

Last weekend, I rotated the tires for the first time!

I've played on the Tail of the Dragon, ran an autocross (8 runs, about 50 seconds each,) have run rallies, and done some rather spirited driving along the way.

I'm running 38 psi front, and 35 psi rear.

I'm showing even wear, and I'm still not close to the wear indicators yet. At my current rate, I wouldn't have to change until 45-50K miles.

FWIW - I've worn a set of tires down to the cord in less than 12,000 miles before with only street use.

I have no complaints about the stock tires. Relatively quiet, smooth riding, decent cornering grip, good in rain and wet pavement.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
happy fit owner

I just went over 20K last week in my base Fit also. I must say I am pretty happy with the Fit. I can drive it and not have to worry about it breaking down or having some lemon qualities. My only concern is the road noise. I came from a Integra Hatch and it was noticeably quieter in that car compared to the Fit. The tire wear is fine. To this day, I am still rolling on the oem 14" tires and they have a good amount of thread left. I would say at least 35%. I rotate my tires at every oil change since it isn't much work and helps the tires last a lot longer especially since I am lowered a little.

I am very happy with the quality of the car and if they beefed up the sound dampening in it (more weight) and added a few extra ponies I wouldnt mind if it only got 35mpgs on the highway since now I am getting an average of 38mpg on 80% highway.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm at 34K miles. Stock tires were gone by 18K. Winter tires X-Ice were the ticket for our winters. I'm on my 4th windshield and it's now cracked.

I just ordered some summer shoes: BFG G-Force on the stock rims.

My major beef is with the cold weather dash pad squeaks & noises. And the ease at which the plastic trim bits scratch-up.

The windscreen is partly my fault and our dirty roads: All my maladies occurred over 90 mph. One projectile dented the hood on its' path to the 2nd glass victim. 10 yrs. of Autobahn travel and zero windscreen issues. I say it's a covert way for our enforcement officials to penalize go-fast hot hatches Then again, that's one big target of glass.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
That's crazy about the windshields. I am now at 30k and I am still on #1. The Element is on number 2 and needs to be replaced, but Elements are known for it...most likely due to the angle.

I drive 90 quite a bit too...maybe your issue is cars kicking up parts that fell off American cars, given that you are in Detroit.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Maybe it's glass formulations these days. I've had several vehicles with nearly 90 degree angle windshields and some violent impacts only left those with simple pits, namely on my old Trooper and '91 VW Vana-good-god-its'-gone.

I failed to mention that one of the Fit's replacement windshields came with an optical flaw - waited another week for a new one. And another cracked while they were installing it. But they're getting real fast at swapping out the glass now! I dont feel well about funding their training.

The subsequent replacements have all been PPG mfg. for what it's worth.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
Anniversary Announcement! Picked up my Storm Silver Sport AT one year ago today (April 20). Odometer is at 24,715. Honeymoon will never be over -- I love my Fit!

Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
I had my window replaced also due to a rock hitting the windshield at 80mph. It took the windshield repair guy 25 minutes to take out the old and put in the new one. I was impressed.

BTW, whats PPG mfg?