General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Ran Her HOT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Ran Her HOT!!!

I did the TB coolant bypass mod Wednesday and one of the bolts I used to plug the coolant line wasnt tightened down enough. When I finished the line wasnt leaking but I guess it didnt have enough pressure built up.

I did notice a faint coolant smell but I thought it was just burning off from what leaked out of the TB.

Today Im driving home from Wendys on my lunch break and I see the little red coolant light flash. I start to freak out right away. I turn on my heat and notice its hot so I figured coolant was still in the motor. I get further down the road and the light flashes again. I also notice a slight detonation/pinging sound when on the throttle harder than normal.

At this point Im scared! But I couldnt just stop, I had to make it home.
I continue to drive the car with the red coolant light flashing every so often for about 3-4miles. I make it home, let it cool off and put in water.

My question is; does anyone think I damaged my motor? I read through the owners manual and it said that the light flashing is when the motor is running hotter than normal. When it stays steady on is when theres a bad problem. Just wanted some opinions. Its only got 2500miles.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
bumer.
i would have stopped and let it cool down instead of just driving with blinking red light. especially since you said it is only 4 miles. yes you could just stop - shoulder if on express way, sidestreet if on busy city street.
is there damage done? well,since the light wasn't solid red you just might have dodged serious trouble. but one thing i can tell you for sure - you didn't do anything good either.
look at your dipstick for metal chaniging color...
sorry dude, and good luck with that.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't have my manual in front of me...does it give you a ECT temp which is set to trigger the flashing red light?

Also, did you bleed the system before driving it? Air pockets in the cooling system are not good. At any rate, be sure to bleed it when you get back up and running.

And last, I certainly hope you don't drive for long using water...! Be sure to use the proper coolant/distilled water mix. Or just buy pre-mixed. It is really amazing what a difference it makes on the parts!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
I did the TB coolant bypass mod Wednesday and one of the bolts I used to plug the coolant line wasnt tightened down enough. When I finished the line wasnt leaking but I guess it didnt have enough pressure built up.

I did notice a faint coolant smell but I thought it was just burning off from what leaked out of the TB.

Today Im driving home from Wendys on my lunch break and I see the little red coolant light flash. I start to freak out right away. I turn on my heat and notice its hot so I figured coolant was still in the motor. I get further down the road and the light flashes again. I also notice a slight detonation/pinging sound when on the throttle harder than normal.

At this point Im scared! But I couldnt just stop, I had to make it home.
I continue to drive the car with the red coolant light flashing every so often for about 3-4miles. I make it home, let it cool off and put in water.

My question is; does anyone think I damaged my motor? I read through the owners manual and it said that the light flashing is when the motor is running hotter than normal. When it stays steady on is when theres a bad problem. Just wanted some opinions. Its only got 2500miles.
Aside from preventing further leaks, pull your crankcase dipstick and look at the color of your engine oil. It it is black, it is oxidized and burned. Put a drop of oil on a clean white paper towel. If you see concentric rings of different shades of gray, black and brown, for sure CHANGE YOUR OIL.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I forgot about this thread... Sorry all.
The oil looks like the day I put it in the car 2200miles ago. Maybe a HINT darker.

And yes I plan on getting a coolant flush. Maybe I can get it done for free.