General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: Who is 5spd and who is auto??
Got 5spd?
55.60%
Got Auto?
44.40%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Poll update...5spd vs auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:48 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
Not to attack Paulo107, but you guys make it sound like an AT is somethign to be ashamed of. I HAD to get an automatic because no one else in my family can drive stick. Becasue i'm a mechanic, i take everyoen elses car and they drive mine. I also do LOTS of rush hour driving in downtown vancouver and a manual gets REALLY annoying. Dont' get me wrong, i LOVE driving stick, i used to have a STI, but at this point in time, an AT works alot better.
not knocking the auto yo...i am stating my opinion...i would not be content driving this car or any other car auto...its just me and the way i am. Everyone makes a choice and is happy with it like how i made my choice...besides i had 4 color sports to chose from all 5spd so its irrelevant. Dont take it personal cause i started this thread just to see how many more autos are out there than the "rare" 5spd, more for statistics really...you have to be happy with what you drive thats my philosophy

I bet you wouldn't have even bought a Fit
That is a fact i really would not have bought a Fit if my choice were only auto...i am that stubborn...and i am starting this autox hobby so i need to smash my gears myself

Last edited by Paulo107; 01-18-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:49 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by Paulo107
if my only choice was only automatic i would not be in this forum
I bet you wouldn't have even bought a Fit
I wouldn't have.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 PM
AT here due to availability, timing, and overall driving habits. I would have preferred MT but since the AT has 5 gears, sport mode, and paddle shifters, I felt these really improve the AT. Some new domestic cars are still stuck with 4 spd autos!

Only downside is that the AT seems to cost an additional 10-15 hp!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Not to attack Paulo107, but you guys make it sound like an AT is somethign to be ashamed of. I HAD to get an automatic because no one else in my family can drive stick. Becasue i'm a mechanic, i take everyoen elses car and they drive mine. I also do LOTS of rush hour driving in downtown vancouver and a manual gets REALLY annoying. Dont' get me wrong, i LOVE driving stick, i used to have a STI, but at this point in time, an AT works alot better.
Yeah, really. Some of you guys treat ATs like they're a disease or something, lol.

I don't know how to drive manual, as I just learned to drive a few years ago, and it wasn't for fun, it was for practical purposes. Now that I'm enjoying driving more, I really want to learn to drive stick, but I doubt that, given my commute and the area where I live, I would actually buy a MT for my DD. I'd probably get an MT for my "play car," since I could actually go out somewhere open and really have fun with it. In a congested city environment, manuals just seem annoying to deal with. It can be done, obviously, but seeing as how driving with an AT in gridlock frustrates me enough, I don't want to bother with extra steps. Now, on the open road, it might be different, heh.

Like others have said, though, I guess on a board of car enthusiasts, ATs are a bit looked down upon. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I see why it happens. I still have fun driving my AT Fit, though, and that's all that matters. Individual likes and dislikes, and etc.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
manual here...seemed like the dealerships i went to were getting manuals at a rate of 1 for every 5 autos

Old 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JessW1982
Yeah, really. Some of you guys treat ATs like they're a disease or something, lol.

I don't know how to drive manual, as I just learned to drive a few years ago, and it wasn't for fun, it was for practical purposes. Now that I'm enjoying driving more, I really want to learn to drive stick, but I doubt that, given my commute and the area where I live, I would actually buy a MT for my DD. I'd probably get an MT for my "play car," since I could actually go out somewhere open and really have fun with it. In a congested city environment, manuals just seem annoying to deal with. It can be done, obviously, but seeing as how driving with an AT in gridlock frustrates me enough, I don't want to bother with extra steps. Now, on the open road, it might be different, heh.

Like others have said, though, I guess on a board of car enthusiasts, ATs are a bit looked down upon. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I see why it happens. I still have fun driving my AT Fit, though, and that's all that matters. Individual likes and dislikes, and etc.
It's not a disease..but if I wasn't able to get a manual..I DEFINITELY would not have gotten a Fit.
I would have gotten an EP3 si or bit the bullet and ponied up for a GTi or Mazda 3 hatch.
On a 4cyl car this small, a manual was a must for me.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JessW1982

i said it b4 and i will say it one last time...if you are happy with what you have then GOOD for you...i never put down autos at all even though words are getting put in my mouth, but who cares. i just said if MY CHOICE was to get an auto i would not have gotten the Fit...i love driving 5spd and always will, but thats just ME. You guys with autos that are happy with it and are hooking your cars up by all means do what makes you happy and dont mind the stubborn guy who cant be happy with an auto...nobody here is saying "since your an automatic you cant hook your cars up" please stop the drama and just read b4 you put words in my mouth...whats that song again? oh yeah!
"dont worry be happy!!!"

lets just keep this poll going

Old 01-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I never drove an auto fit, but I drove my mom's RDX. The problem with the auto for me is not that it's auto, but the gearing. In autos, b/c the RPM is lower, that's acutally worse. It means each gear makes the car "heavy". Altho this is good for crusing, fact of the matter is most of the fuel consumption occurs during acceleration, so having gearing that yeilds lower RPM is not good. It means you can never drive light footed b/c of this reason. I'm glad the manual does 3500RPM at 70mph. The only downside is the noise, but it makes the car faster and more fuel efficient.

Does anyone know why the gearing is lower? The auto fit is different than most autos in that it has a clutch for all five speeds. It essentially acts like an automated manual, w/ a torque converter doing almost nothing except during rev matching.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Gordio
I never drove an auto fit, but I drove my mom's RDX. The problem with the auto for me is not that it's auto, but the gearing. In autos, b/c the RPM is lower, that's acutally worse. It means each gear makes the car "heavy". Altho this is good for crusing, fact of the matter is most of the fuel consumption occurs during acceleration, so having gearing that yeilds lower RPM is not good. It means you can never drive light footed b/c of this reason. I'm glad the manual does 3500RPM at 70mph. The only downside is the noise, but it makes the car faster and more fuel efficient.

Does anyone know why the gearing is lower? The auto fit is different than most autos in that it has a clutch for all five speeds. It essentially acts like an automated manual, w/ a torque converter doing almost nothing except during rev matching.
I find the opposite to be true. I can drive the AT Fit very light footed...much more so than the 95 Civic EX AT!

Coming from driving normal 4 speed Autos, the fit's extra gear allows steeper 1st which gives the AT remarkable off-line performance. Also, remember, the torque converter does multiply torque! So the physical ratios are less for the AT, but total torque multiplication should be close. And since the lockup converter can engage under cruise conditions, it almost gives you an extra 'gear' for every gear. You can control this w/ the throttle in S mode...put it in 4th, and cruise, and step on it, it still stays in 4, but the converter disengages and RPMs jump by about 500-700 or so. The only downside I see to the AT (besides not being as much fun to drive mechanically) is the increased power consumption.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 PM
5spd vs auto

I have an auto sport. I love it. Considering every car I owned before the fit was a manual. I drive the car in S mode every day. I love the paddle shifters in this car. They are very responsive. Also the lock up torque converter is a great match up with the drive by wire system and the 5 speed auto trans. I have a spoon drop in air filter, spoon b-pipe and a tanabe concept G axle back. These improvement make the auto sport that much more fun to drive. I had a manual on order in storm silver but picked up an auto sport in vivid blue instead and I don't regret it. Basicly everyone has their own preferences. So drive what you like and forget what people think! Manual or Auto either or as long as its a fit it's all good!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
I got the auto Fit sport and it works just fine for around town or on the highway. Anyone in my family can drive it. I drive a manual transmission car right now. My wife and kids prefer automatic.

We have some urban driving so automatic is more practical. Not much for highway travel only about 50 miles per outing. Automatic has higher resale value in my area.

Only automatic Fits available in my area, good luck waiting for a manual of any type.

Either one would work for me personally.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

5 speed here.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:43 AM
damn this is getting serious... auto, 5 speed or manual We All Love our Fits... Right???

Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 AM
5spd vs auto

Hands down the fit is great car in stick or auto. Doesn't matter because their both 5 speed any way. Also the weight difference between the stick and auto is only 80 pounds. Personally out of all the cars I've ever owned I like the fit best. Its just a fun car. So have fun with it stick or auto. As long as it's a fit.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Neither. I have either 7 gears with a paddle shift or an infinite number (both forward and reverse) without

This is the first automatic of any kind that I've owned and I love it. Operating a manual can be fun and it's a great skill to have but for most people cars exist to get from A to B so why force them to learn how to shift?

The only strong objection I have is that I hate torque convertors because they are wasteful and I dislike most of the conventional autos I've driven because they hunt and often don't give reliable engine braking.

The only other objection I have is having to rely on kickdown but with a press of a button on the wheel and the left paddle I can take care of that myself as well

Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Glad to see better responses...nobody is bashing me

Old 01-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Manual all the way, when low HP and AT parasitic losses are factored.
I'd suspect to say that the lower up-front costs of the trannys and the realized MPG gains of the manual would justify a clutch replacement. My last civic's clutch got 180,000 miles+. A punishing 180k with 50-50 hwy/city

Old 01-19-2007, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
i love my automatic. i got it auto cuz of 4 reasons:

1) my sister is gettin her license and i know that she can't drive stick so i got auto 2 make it easier on her and plus i know ima give her the fit once im done w/ it.

2) california traffic

3) paddle shifter. =]

4) easier to sell cuz most cars in america are automatic.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Banned
Sport Auto for me, mainly bacause of wife's preference. Then add the godawfull SF Bay Area traffic jams, and the memory of having broken my left leg twice in the last 9 years. It's REAL hard to drive a stick shift with your left leg in a cast. The paddle shift auto is still fun in mountain driving, and I don't think that the total performance suffers because of the auto trans.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Auto here, 3 reasons,
1) wife
2) 100 mile p/day commute on both backroads & highways
3) my other honda is 6 speed! (plus more HP than the Fit!)

1st automatic car! ever (1st car under 150 bhp also) so far loving it!

cheers
Bloke

Quick Reply: Poll update...5spd vs auto