General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
i have read alot of people having these scangauges. where can i find one of these at a good deal or maybe find one use at good price.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:56 PM
They amazon was having a good deal earlier on the SGII's. Handy little device. I'm saving up for one...although the fit just doenst have great mounting points. The best one i've seen was mounted in a custom frame fitted to the bottom din of an aftermarket hu dash kit.

haha nice to hear your swapped hatch gets consistantly better mpg. haha

Old 09-13-2008, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nodrogkam

haha nice to hear your swapped hatch gets consistantly better mpg. haha
i know right.......

Old 09-13-2008, 05:42 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
Now one thing of interest is that I recently installed a WeaponR street header and reset my ecu. After 100+ miles of driving, my scangauge reports that I have an average 29-30 mpg so far from around 60/40 highway and city driving. While I am used to seeing my average mpg just keep going down and down while driving around the city (on every tank I've had since I got the scangauge, I'd get around 32-35 mpg from highway drives, then at the end of the tank the scanguage reports an average mpg of 24-26 due to city driving killing overall mpg), I've actually been able to keep the average mpg from going down the way it usually does while city driving. There is definitely increased torque and response in the lower gears and rpms with the header, resulting in less time in the mpg-killing-zone before I reach that "sweet spot" where I start hitting 30+ mpg. I'll have to see if this trend will continue, but it's looking pretty good so far.
This is a nice tidbit of information. I'd like to keep an eye on your results, any thoughts about making a separate thread just for the header?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Koi,

You mentioned you drive the car in S mode and manually shift. Have you captured any data with your ScanGauge while driving around in full auto?

I hear your pain regarding your mileage situation, though we are one of the lucky Fit owners, I guess. My daughter drives her 2007 Fit all around...mostly suburban town driving and I can't complain about the mpg she gets...typically 30-32, with mpg upwards of 38+ on hwy. She just drives...full auto. Her Fit is purely stock. I've noticed when I get to drive her Fit that in full auto the shift points are not at 3k rpm...they are lower. That's why I ask if you've ever captured ScanGauge data running full auto.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjp_fit
Hey Koi,

You mentioned you drive the car in S mode and manually shift. Have you captured any data with your ScanGauge while driving around in full auto?

I hear your pain regarding your mileage situation, though we are one of the lucky Fit owners, I guess. My daughter drives her 2007 Fit all around...mostly suburban town driving and I can't complain about the mpg she gets...typically 30-32, with mpg upwards of 38+ on hwy. She just drives...full auto. Her Fit is purely stock. I've noticed when I get to drive her Fit that in full auto the shift points are not at 3k rpm...they are lower. That's why I ask if you've ever captured ScanGauge data running full auto.

Good luck.
I have a 2008 Fit Sport AT and in urban driving I only get 25 to 26 mpg. Only with sustained hwy driving do I get near 32 mpg. The difference may be terrain with lower mpg for hilly areas and lower mpg for more traffic or shorter trips (less than 2-3 miles).

Scangauge II says on highways I have fairly high mpg but on uphill segments I'm lucky to get near 20 mpg now matter what rpm and speed. The engine is simply working too hard with the AT to be efficient. On flat areas it does fine. My hill is about a 670 foot climb up. Going downhill doesn't make up and overall I get about 26 mpg per tank which is sad.
This is with being good about driving easy and smoothly. My Fit has 4000 miles on it, bone stock.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
I agree with what MINI-Fit said.

Cjp_fit, are you talking about driving in D instead of using the paddles in S? I've tried to try driving a full tank of gas on just D, but could never get past a few miles of driving just because of the utter boring drive and lack of response from the engine. Throttle really makes a difference in both power and mpg in D, so when I try to accelerate with a low throttle position, not only is the car slow to move but it still takes the same long process of going through the low mpg zone of speed to get to the good mpg zone of 45+ mph - except without the benefit of being able to change gears earlier, or going to 5th at 40 mph instead of having the car automatically change to 5th at what seems like random points around 45-50 mph. This is most evident when I'm in an area that's a 40 mph limit - the car will still be in 3rd or 4th when I hit 40 mph, but I don't have the option of changing to 5th to bump the mpg up while I'm cruising along at that speed (unless I hit the paddles, in which case I might as well be driving in S).

In D the car does shift in the high 2xxx and around 3000 rpm, but in my experience only exaggerates the pain of getting through the 0-40 mph range of 0-20 mpg. I've always quickly changed back to S after watching my mpg drop like a rock when I decide to test out D.

Last edited by Koi; 09-14-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Koi, yes I meant driving in D when I said full auto.

Well, I guess I don't know what else to say. Both you and Mini-Fit appear to have similar mileage reports. Not sure why my daughter gets the mileage she does...I like it, but she surely isn't driving to conserve. I've ridden with her and she drives as if the accelerator is digital...full on or full off! But, she gets good mileage. Nothing special for fuel...lowest octane Shell. I take it in for service at intervals that local Honda dealer indicates on window sticker. She's got about 25k-30k miles.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, last Thanksgiving we drove the Fit from North Ventura County to San Diego and back (400 miles or so round trip). The vehicle had my wife, daughter, and me in it (420 lbs or so), along with three small duffle bags (30-45lbs). My daughter drove and we managed around 38-39 mpg on the drive.

We must just be livin' right...it's one of those things that I don't spend much time thinking about, because it's good.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Awesome milage

Drove from Boston to Conn in my first long drive in my 2008 Fit

320 miles round trip = 37-38 MPG

Very Very Happy!!

Still under 2K put on the Fit

Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 PM
I had to post...

Since I had my little low pressure fiasco Monday, I pumped the tires up to 35psi. Then I ran a full tank.... the fullest I've had!

370 miles to the gas light, 387 miles at fill up. Put in 9.476 gallons.

Works out to about 40.84 MPG.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:45 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Quick little update:

After installing the WeaponR header and giving it at least 100 miles for the ecu to relearn a bit, I got a full tank of gas. Today, after a week of driving with noticeable improvements in both driveability and mpg (definitely seeing 15+ mpg readings more often than I used to at the same gears and rpms before changing the header). I filled up 8.231 gallons at the Costco pump I normally get my gas after 254.1 miles - had to fill up even though the gas light hadn't turned on because I need gas to drive to school and back tomorrow morning. This comes out to ~30.87 MPG for the tank, going 50/50 city and highway, while doing a few (~5) redline jackrabbit starts for fun and to get onto the highway - not to mention that I've been driving a bit faster to get to school at 70-75 mph cruise control. I've never gotten a tank mpg this high before swapping out the header save for the 85% highway trip to San Diego and back that gave me a tank mpg of 32. By the way, when I was running on the oem header and getting 24-26 mpg, I NEVER even once took the car past 5k rpm. Now I'm having more fun with the car's newfound perkiness and still getting significantly better fuel economy while I'm at it!

I'll have to see if I can continue this kind of mpg on this next tank of gas. It will be the same route, same amount of traffic and the same amount of throttle/speed/rpms that I've been using for the past 6+ months. If this header can really turn around my mpg from 24-26 to 28-30+, despite the occasional fun high throttle, redlining starts and 75 mph freeway drives - my hat is off to you WeaponR. I'll try and update after I see how my mpg fares this week.

Last edited by Koi; 09-17-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I found a great way to kill your mileage.

Live in a hurricane-damaged city and drive around at 4-way stops because all the traffic signals have no electricity. Idling while waiting to approach a 4-way stop really chews up the gas.

I hope they get all these lights fixed soon. I think I got about 21 mpg last week. Gasp.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 PM
i hope things get better in Texas Juliane

Old 09-24-2008, 02:29 AM
I've been getting better MPG............

36k+ miles...............

my last tank.......305 miles/9.4 gallons = 32 mpg

breaking the 300 miles/tank barrier used to be rare............

Old 09-24-2008, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
easily over 400 miles on a tank...

Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
I've been getting better MPG............

36k+ miles...............

my last tank.......305 miles/9.4 gallons = 32 mpg

breaking the 300 miles/tank barrier used to be rare............
Only breaking the 300 mile barrier? Holy cow! I consistantly break 400 miles BEFORE my gas light comes on! And I don't drive like ole grandma. And I am only getting 34 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. Driving at 65 I get over 38 mpg

Whats my secret? Fill the tank UP. I mean ALL the way. I often put in 12.3 - 12.7 gallons. But we only have a 10.9(?) gallon tank you say. Well, when I fill up and the fuel auto stops I can still put in an additional 2 plus gallons. I do this by giving the car a good shake side to side, add fuel, shake again, add fuel.......... I do this until I KNOW the tank is full, right up to the filler neck opening. Again, I can add over 2 gallons...

If you have ever looked under the car and saw the fuel line you will know why... And no, I have not had any fuel evaporator issues what so ever.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hondasforlife
i hope things get better in Texas Juliane
Thanks, man! There are a LOT of people who still don't have power, so I count myself as very, very lucky...But we have 20-30,000 traffic lights and many of them were damaged in the storm. My part of town has more working lights than the east side, but some streets are getting really gridlocked in the morning and evening as people go to work and return home.

If the death toll stays as low as they have put it up to this point, it's really miraculous.

Threadjack over!

Old 09-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi! well....I'm another unhappy owner,in terms of MILEAGE ONLY.
After 1400 miles,the best I got was 23 MPG. Mostly city drive,1/2 of times A/C on,and driving fast but not crazy.
I got a 08' A/T Sport. Vivid Blue. Beside the mileage ,I'm veeeeery happy,with this "midget"...
Just my last coment:how many miles is the ideal for break in ??

Old 09-28-2008, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
I'm hearing from a number of sources and AS I PREDICTED on here, based on HONDA 09 Specs, The new Fit's are less capable (FE) then the last generation. (2 to 5mpg less)

Wondering why nobody with one has entered any data on Clean MPG or here lol

WTF was Honda thinking about screwing around with cup holders and not making a JDM drive train and option. Making in bigger was also stupid. We don't need bigger cars.

With the Spring roll out the Insite II and if as they say it cost $18,500 and gets +50mpg I'll be going hybrid. But, I'm worried their Cone heads may screw it up or the let the dealers up the MSRP or not deliver what was promised in August.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Luis Cueva
Hi! well....I'm another unhappy owner,in terms of MILEAGE ONLY.
After 1400 miles,the best I got was 23 MPG. Mostly city drive,1/2 of times A/C on,and driving fast but not crazy.
I got a 08' A/T Sport. Vivid Blue. Beside the mileage ,I'm veeeeery happy,with this "midget"...
Just my last coment:how many miles is the ideal for break in ??
Some owners say that mpg gets a little better after 5000 miles but I have done that much and still getting mostly 25 mpg for daily driving.

I think short trips and city type driving leads to poor mileage. Long trips with no traffic more like 32 mpg if you can manage that. Any hills spells low mpg so steer clear of that. Higher speeds might help as do higher tire pressures- but that means rougher riding. My speed limit is 55 so 75 like others is not possible.

Even with help of scangauge and very gentle throttle use I have not been able to get anything decent above about 27 mpg without great effort (AC off).

I think engine power is limited and AT is too inefficiently geared for optimal mpg. Just a poor situation for anyone in urban areas. Very sad for a modern car. Honda does make other cars that do better. My 2006 Civic EX AT has no trouble getting 30-32 mpg driving exactly the same areas under the same conditions with the same drivers and with more power available.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 AM
2009 sport navi mpg

32mpg on first 2 tanks city highway mix
41 mpg second last tank
Freeway at 60 mph about 410 miles and put in 8.77 or 46 mpg
Drove the piss out of it after breakin and still got 31mpg

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)