General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Changed back to my aftermarket box intake. Gone, it seems, is the engine missing but even though the throttle response is better and seems a little peppier (heck it could be the sound having me psyched out!) the mpg is getting worse.
If I am going to be plagued with this: I wanna supercharger!! ;]

Old 06-18-2009, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
good mileage

I drive an 09 automatic base model with 10k miles on it. I get 41-42 mpg every day now. I have over 6k logged on my trip counter and it is 41.9 right now. before that I did 80mi a day and checked the mpg for each and it was 42 at best and 39 at worst. Reasons for the mpg are that I accelerate slowly most of the time, drive on freeway 60% of the time, drive on mostly flat terrain (florida) and I only keep the AC at 1 if the windows are not cracked.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
I got 36.8 on my last tank, 365 miles total

Old 06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Took a quick trip up to Dayton from Cincinnati (about 120 mi total roundtrip). My Fit averaged about 46-47 MPG (85/15). Since it was mostly highway, this is not a fair test of its overall gas mileage, but I was pretty pleased with its mostly-highway performance.

Since that trip, my fit has hovered around 42-43 MPG average (60/40).

-P

Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
A question if I may, are you guys that are getting the 40+ mpg consistantly doing actual miles traveled divided by amount of fuel used to travel that distance or are you just looking at the MPG readout on the speedometer?

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
You guys are smokin crack if you are really getting hi 30's never mind 40+! Must be driving like grannies with your tires max inflated, down hill with a tail wind -- both ways! I drive 70-75 on the highway and rarely get over 34 mpg. If I drive 60 I MAY get 34 mpg. I mostly get just over 33 highway, 31 city. And I drive fairly east on the gas.

On another note, how far do you drive on a tank? I often get 380 miles with a high of 430 miles. With shaking the car again and again when filling I often put in 12.7 gallons. In a 10.9 gallon tank. So I think a better judge of your milage is how many miles you get out of a tank. Again, I want to see your odometer after you say you are getting 40+ mpg. I bet you will have a hard time topping 450 miles.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Daelb
A question if I may, are you guys that are getting the 40+ mpg consistantly doing actual miles traveled divided by amount of fuel used to travel that distance or are you just looking at the MPG readout on the speedometer?

Thanks.
I've heard that the MPG readout can be a bit optimistic at times, at least when it comes to averaging. I've notice that, in comparison to my calculations, it puts me 2-4 MPG over what I'm actually getting. On my recent trip to Dayton, however, it was nearly spot-on (gauge showed 47.3, I calculated 46).

As for being on crack, I'm afraid not. The only thing I did differently perhaps is that I let the car slow down on hills as opposed to trying to maintain the same speed (a reason why I hate cruise control). Since there will inevitably be a downgrade at some point, I let that get me back up to speed. It's kind of funny sometimes watching people in the fast lane (I NEVER do this is the fast lane--if you do any hypermiling in the fast lane (unless you are exiting on the left) you are being somewhat of a d*ck) speed past me and then a few minutes later see them look over and I'm right next to them watching them ride their brakes down a hill.

Also, I always drive the speed limit (mostly 55 to 65 around here).

In the city, I don't hurry from one red light to the next, I just tap the gas and let the car roll to the next light. I know some people are extreme and just let the car roll, but this seems inconsiderate to me as the people behind you might not make the light b/c of you. In addition, I try to turn my car off at lights that i KNOW are really flipping long; we have quite a few of those around here. Your mileage gauge still averages, even when you're idling. So I highly recommend doing this at lights you KNOW are at least 10+ seconds long. I never do this at "new" stoplights that I know nothing about, however.

My lifetime average, as you can see, is only <35 MPG, much like you are getting. This is because I played with my car quite a bit for the first couple of tanks (using paddle shifters, passing on the highway, being a general arse). Once I started doing the above, I saw a significant increase in mileage. Now I'm getting 30-35 in the city and 40-45 on the highway.

-P

Old 06-23-2009, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Again, no offence to anybody. But I don't want to hear about how many miles you went, then how much gas you put in. All I want to hear is how many miles you went on a tank of gas. If you are getting the milage you say you are (45+ mpg), then you should be going 500 or more miles on a tank of gas. I am putting up the Bull Sh*t flag here. I don't think that is happening.

When I refuel I shake the car many times side to side and can easily put in over two gallons more then when it first clicks off at the pump. Right up close to the filler opening where I could touch the gas with my finger down the hole if I wanted to. Weather or not I should do this we can save for another debate some other day.

My point being that I think many are getting wrong actual mpg numbers by driving so far then filling with gas to first click, but not all the way up. Out filler system is terrible at best for leaving lots of room left for more gas. 2 gallons more is a lot with such a small car. If I fill to first click my gas light is on at 280 miles. When I fill alllll the way up I often go 360-400 miles or more before the gas light comes on. So you can see why I am skeptical of claims of 45+ mpg for a whole tank of gas. Or even high 30's for that matter.

I am no way saying that I am trying to hyper mile but I do try to balance actually moving the car to keeping out of others way. I drive with a light foot, coast as much a possible etc to acheive what I hope is decent milage. I do not turn off my car at stop lights but see no harm in doing so. European cars that I have driven do so automatically from the factory. Manuals anyhow...

So again, how many miles can you drive on a tank of gas. I don't want to hear about any amounts of gas you put in, just how many miles on one tank when you do finally fill up. I know how many gallons the car CAN take. If you actually are going 500 miles or more, my hat is off to you and I will buy you a beer!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Completely understand--I was in shock when I calculated 46.

When I calculated that, I filled to first click, drove, filled again to first click. Between that time I drove 389 Mi. The gas station pump said I put ~8.5 gallons in my car. 389/8.5 = 45.7. Even if first click isn't full, and even if I can put 12 gallons in my 10.6 gallon tank, I would think that first click is always first click and 8.5 is always 8.5. You stated that you get 280 with first click, is this consistent? Maybe it's the weight of those 2 extra gallons you're hauling that kills your mileage (kidding).

Currently, on my trip meter (which I reset after putting gas in my car), I have 317 Miles. My gas gauge (which is, i agree, not at all accurate) says I have under 1/3 of a tank left. I'm predicting that this next tank will not be anywhere near as good as the last (45.7 MPG) as I have been a little heavier with the foot and have driven up an annoying number of hills lately. Although I should still squeeze out a nice MPG number, I don't expect (as my lifetime MPG shows) to get 46 on a regular basis. That would be nice.

Finally, I can't believe that the gauge that comes with the car is THAT far off. I've heard as high as 5 MPG (46-5 = 41, still good), but no higher. I can't believe it's off 10 MPG.

46 MPG does come with a price though, the car is a lot less fun (if zippy is as fun to you as it is to me) when driving for MPG. I think my lowest point was when my Mom (I'm 27, she's 55) turned to me and said "why are you driving so slow?"

So, where's my beer?

-P

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=calcMPG

Old 06-24-2009, 10:39 AM
Red face In town and on the road, big difference

I have a basic Fit with automatic and about 2000 miles on the car. I live in a small town in Delaware with lots of speed limit changes. My driving is either around town, on highways with 50 - 65 mile per hour speedlimit, or a combination of the two. So far in town I get between 31 and 33 mpg. On the road I have gotten as much as 38.9, but typically around 37+. The combination is still around 35. I am definitely not a leadfoot and the benefit in Delaware driving is that it is perfectly flat - absolutely no hills.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Actual mileage

IRT Daelb, my mileage is based on measuring actual fillups against the mileage indicator. I stop pumping when the pump, fully inserted, stops the first time. Do not top off so fillups should be fairly consistent. Only possible flaws are obviously the accuracy of the odometer and also the accuracy of the pump.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 AM
2008 base model(no a/c) AT. 22 000 km

driving aggresively occationally with combination hwy/city I get 37mpg.

driving with a light foot I got 42mpg. Whenever possible I came up to speed without exceeding 2200rpm in any gear. (went a tad faster in the city at stoplights to avoid upsetting anyone) It took time to train my foot to be that light, the transmittion really wants to be in the higher rpms. I may have had a few heavy footed moments aswell so there is still room for improvement.

I'm using synthetic oil with a small amount of lucas oil additive and 91 octane fuel with ethanol content.

my tires probably could use some air. I'm going to inflate them to 37psi and see what happens.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 AM
I would like to know on how many miles the honda fit 2006 servicing should be done.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
123 456 789

Old 07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Oi. Been running 95% in the city lately and I'm pretty sure my next tank is going to blow in terms of MPGs. I haven't touched the highway except for a short 5 minute stint here and there. Mileage gauge reads 36.2, which minus 10% is around 32.5. I've been hitting hills mostly (I've hit our two largest hills at least 8 times on this tank), and sat in heavy stop and go traffic for two accidents.

I'm still pleased with the Fit pulling out a respectable 32 considering the kind of driving I've been doing. My old car would've left me somewhere in the low 20s. Possibly 21 or 22.

-P

Last edited by trick; 07-08-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I have also found the MPG dash indicator to typically be off at close to 10%. I have seen it off as low as 4% and as high as 13%.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by trick
Took a quick trip up to Dayton from Cincinnati (about 120 mi total roundtrip). My Fit averaged about 46-47 MPG (85/15). Since it was mostly highway, this is not a fair test of its overall gas mileage, but I was pretty pleased with its mostly-highway performance.

Since that trip, my fit has hovered around 42-43 MPG average (60/40).

-P
And how fast were you driving?

Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by ptursic
And how fast were you driving?
Think I averaged around 60 (there are quite a few pockets in which the speed limit is 55). I would say that I made it to 70 a few times but mostly I stayed around 60. The fact that the particular interstate I was on has been lined with cops as of late helped me keep my speed low.

-P

Old 07-11-2009, 08:24 PM
39.8 mpg?

I have a new 2009 Fit Sport AT with 1,800+ miles. According to the MPG gauge, I'm getting 39.8 MPG. This is most suburan expressway and some stop and go driving in west Omaha.

This fuel economy is way higher than the EPA MPG rating. It makes me wonder if the fit's MPH calculation is accurate.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Base Fit.
I'm getting around 36 mpg hwy at 75 mph
about 38 mpg hwy at 65 mph

and about 35 city/hwy mixed.

I haven't gotten under 35 mpg in months.
i don't drive easily.

i can get around 370 miles to a tank, but i usually fill up around 320.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)