General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Many people "overfill" their tank by continuing to add gasoline after the automatic shut off of the pump. This way you can get more gasoline in the tank than it is designed to hold (you can also ruin your vapor recovery system by doing this).
you know when you do that, the gas goes right back into the pump. And you are paying for that gas. Or so i was sold

Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 AM
thinking of selling my AT fit getting a MT , what u guys suggest?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Nope, gas will never go back into the nozzle.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Ok,
So I was able to fill my fit up with 11.47 gallons of gas and this was right before my fuel light would have came on. Therefore I am speculating that you can get a total of 13 gallons into the Fit (11.47 + 1.5 left in the tank when light goes on) which means on average you could go 455 miles roughly before filling up again. This is based on 35 miles per gallon.

Now the real question is, do you damage your vehicle by doing this? Personally, I have not heard of any reason not to do this except if gas pours out it would be a hazard to the environment, but other than that I have not seen any warnings that say it would damage any system on the car, including the vapor system.

Can anyone confirm either way that knows for sure? No guessing, no speculating or "this is what I have been told" unless of course that came from a certified mechanic and they explained exactly why it would damage the system.

This is pretty important if we can safely add almost 3 more gallons to the tank, thats an additional 100 miles between fillups which is pretty sweet.

Thanks,

Utnorris

Old 07-13-2007, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by utnorris
Ok,
So I was able to fill my fit up with 11.47 gallons of gas and this was right before my fuel light would have came on. Therefore I am speculating that you can get a total of 13 gallons into the Fit (11.47 + 1.5 left in the tank when light goes on) which means on average you could go 455 miles roughly before filling up again. This is based on 35 miles per gallon.

Now the real question is, do you damage your vehicle by doing this? Personally, I have not heard of any reason not to do this except if gas pours out it would be a hazard to the environment, but other than that I have not seen any warnings that say it would damage any system on the car, including the vapor system.

Can anyone confirm either way that knows for sure? No guessing, no speculating or "this is what I have been told" unless of course that came from a certified mechanic and they explained exactly why it would damage the system.

This is pretty important if we can safely add almost 3 more gallons to the tank, thats an additional 100 miles between fillups which is pretty sweet.

Thanks,

Utnorris
It does not take certified mechanic to tell you that you will damage your car. Excess gas goes in a little overflow tank that is connected to the charcoal canister which is further connected to your intake for sole purpose of burning vapors during combustion process. Excessive overfilling will fill charcoal canister with fuel which won't be able to evaporate which will plug it up. Next time you go to fill the car up, pump will keep shutting off every 2 seconds since pump's own evaporation system is not enough to evacuate fumes. When you put nozzle in your tank, rubber seal seals is and there is no place for fumes to go. I purchased a used passat and was forced to replace charcoal canister!
Trust me, overfilling is not worth the trouble. Buy a 1-2 gallon gas can if it makes it worth to you.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM
So the folks here that are doing this have ruined their filter and will need to replace it? Am I understanding this correctly? Does it matter if you do it once or does it get ruined over time?
Thanks,

Utnorris

Old 07-13-2007, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by utnorris
So the folks here that are doing this have ruined their filter and will need to replace it? Am I understanding this correctly? Does it matter if you do it once or does it get ruined over time?
Thanks,

Utnorris
I wish it was a "filter"! It is a charcoal canister. How long does it take? I do not know. Passat had it inside spare tire, so it was really big and I do not know how long it took previous owner to destroy it. It depends on charcoal canister size, overflow tank size, diameter of the evaporation lines and finally how frequently was it done. I wish manufacturer's would get smart and install a valve allowing fumes, but not liquid to pass through. Just like AEM cold air intake water bypass.
My advice just do not do it. Who knows maybe it takes years or months, but why mess with it.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Ciburri, are you absolutly sure about your facts here?
I have searched various technical documents and cant find anything other than the EVAP cannister that has to do with fuel:
"Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Control Diagram" <- On the bottom of this page is a diagram that show how it works and what I can see it only takes the fumes from the fueltank and not the fuel in liquid form. If the valve on top of the fuel tank is open when the ignition is of then you will probably fill up the EVAP canister. But I cant think of any reason to let the canister be filled up of fumes when your not using the car?
So I think this valve is closed when ignition is of. And you dont have ignition on when pumping fuel into the car?

EVAP System Component Location Index <- the bottom image shows where the EVAP cannister is located.
Fuel Supply System Component Location Index <- here is the whole fuel system and no other cannister than the EVAP is mentioned on the Jazz/Fit.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F0NIX
Ciburri, are you absolutly sure about your facts here?
I have searched various technical documents and cant find anything other than the EVAP cannister that has to do with fuel:
"Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Control Diagram" <- On the bottom of this page is a diagram that show how it works and what I can see it only takes the fumes from the fueltank and not the fuel in liquid form. If the valve on top of the fuel tank is open when the ignition is of then you will probably fill up the EVAP canister. But I cant think of any reason to let the canister be filled up of fumes when your not using the car?
So I think this valve is closed when ignition is of. And you dont have ignition on when pumping fuel into the car?

EVAP System Component Location Index <- the bottom image shows where the EVAP cannister is located.
Fuel Supply System Component Location Index <- here is the whole fuel system and no other cannister than the EVAP is mentioned on the Jazz/Fit.
I can't open attachments on PC at work, so I can't see it!
I never overfill my tank, just stop on first click and Passat was damaged before I bought it.
You are right about the valve though. Problem is when you do start your car and valve opens up, on most cars valve is below the fuel level in topped off tank nozzle and fuel naturally follows gravity and shoots through the valve. It takes multiple times to eventually plug things up.
If Fit does not have charcoal cannister (older cars do) is there anything inside the EVAP? Some other media other than charcoal? Does anybody know? Honestly, I am not that familiar with Fit set up itself. It has been a while since I worked on cars for living. I was in high school and college.
I apologize if I miss informed you.
Guess why I got rid of the Passat? I got it through a friend who is a wholesaler at $5K under wholesale price! I put 30K miles on it in two years, made $3K profit on the sale and was so glad to go back to Honda!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:03 PM
OK. Now have hit 1,000 mile mark and my White MT White Sport has gotten the following numbers:

2nd Fill Up 90% City Driving: 27.0 mpg
3rd Fill Up 90% City Driving: 29.5 mpg
4th Fill Up 100% Hwy 80-90 mph: 34.5 mpg

Old 07-14-2007, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ciburri
I can't open attachments on PC at work, so I can't see it!
I never overfill my tank, just stop on first click and Passat was damaged before I bought it.
You are right about the valve though. Problem is when you do start your car and valve opens up, on most cars valve is below the fuel level in topped off tank nozzle and fuel naturally follows gravity and shoots through the valve. It takes multiple times to eventually plug things up.
If Fit does not have charcoal cannister (older cars do) is there anything inside the EVAP? Some other media other than charcoal? Does anybody know? Honestly, I am not that familiar with Fit set up itself. It has been a while since I worked on cars for living. I was in high school and college.
I apologize if I miss informed you.
Guess why I got rid of the Passat? I got it through a friend who is a wholesaler at $5K under wholesale price! I put 30K miles on it in two years, made $3K profit on the sale and was so glad to go back to Honda!
I opened the attachment at home. Diagram shows a container with media inside. It even has drain on the bottom. Valve is a two way type. It opens with ignition at 90*C as well as with ignition off if pressure inside tank goes up above safe level. Filling the tank is one of them.
Looks like EVAP cannister or tank is just a fancy name for a charcoal cannister: Evaporative emission control system - Patent 4886096
Anybody found anything different on it?
I wish that darn thing is serviceable. You could empty wet charcioal and replace it with commercialy available kind from an aquarium store! LOL!

Old 07-14-2007, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Mileage Report

Here's my report...

A/C on versus off doesn't seem to make a difference (although I know it should make some difference). Sorry - I'm a math nerd (standard deviation).

Old 07-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Almost 9600miles on my car. My last tank got me 32.4mpg, the tank before that got me 35.4mpg. My personal best.
All city driving, AC on at all times and shifting at around 3500-4000rpms. I also do a few full throttle runs every now and then.

A few tanks before that I got 29mpg. I noticed my Fit gets good to average MPG, then she gets bad MPG. Goes back up and carries for a few tanks. Than down. Its never got lower than 28-29mpg though.

AppleMac*Fit, you dont drive your car enough on the tank. Well, its all up to you but when I fill up I always put in over 9.4gallons. You barely get near that. One tank you did. I once put in 10.2gallons. I must have been on fumes!

Last edited by Raaaaaaaaaay.; 07-14-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
I was told ,when I asked the question about the diff with or without AC in mileage, that the compressors on the new cars are so effecient now that they take alot less energy to run so they really don't make that big a diff in MPG,,,maybe true eehhh?

Old 07-14-2007, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
AppleMac*Fit, you dont drive your car enough on the tank. Well, its all up to you but when I fill up I always put in over 9.4gallons. You barely get near that. One tank you did. I once put in 10.2gallons. I must have been on fumes!
I suppose I'm paranoid of running out of gas. I just moved to S.C. in January... I previously lived in C.A. for 4 years. Now I have to think about hurricanes. During hurricane season aren't you supposed to keep your tank about 1/2 full anyway in case of evacuation (fuel would be scarce)? I dunno..... When my car gets to 1/4 tank I get knots in my stomach and start to worry.

My first car was a 1969 Chevy Camaro. If I punched that car just once, I could go through a few gallons of gas in a matter of minutes (it got 10 mpg). When I would race the car I would go through a tank of gas in under 2 hours (20 gallons).

Old 07-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Fit Sport MT

Just ran my first tank of gas through my new Fit, got 40 mpg on the first tank with a mix of about 60% highway/40% in town driving. Couldn't believe it, I love this car.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
6th fillup

Hey all, 6th fill up with Sport 5m, averaged 37.1 mpg. Overall average with about 2200 miles on it is 36.4 mpg. Worse was 34.something and best was 37.3. I think the fit is a winner on mileage alone.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 AM
got 40mpg on my first tank of gas with my new Fit, love this car

Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 PM
my first tank

In town (mostly typical traffic lights but was stuck for more than 10 minutes due to the road being blocked by the Fire Department) and highway(120 miles mostly 65 to 70 mph). AC on most of the time. Driving style mainly for mileage but not extreme .

308.2 miles
7.82 gallons (gauge registered a hair below 1/4 tank)
39.4 mpg

Sport with MT

Driving style matters. In my TDI Jetta the long term average was 50mpg and my best 3 tank average was 52. The previous owner of the TDI averaged 46.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Well my first tank went very well. Mixed city and highway A/C on most of the time and 3 passengers.

42.4mpg!!!! I am glad I bought this little car. Just got it back from tinting and clear bra!!

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)