General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Old 04-22-2006, 11:31 AM
First 300 miles with Basic MT avg is 45.7 mpg. light traffic, hypermiling, nothing over 65 mph, hilly, but light footed.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by johnson@crocker.com
First 300 miles with Basic MT avg is 45.7 mpg. light traffic, hypermiling, nothing over 65 mph, hilly, but light footed.
I'm curious as to how you arrived at that number. I'm not trying to say I don't believe you...if it is correct, I will be thrilled!

The reason I ask...the tank should last longer than 300 miles so I'm wondering how you calculated.

My (albeit very unscientific) method is to fill the tank all the way, until it won't take any more and reset the trip odometer. I then wait until I get really close to empty and refill all the way again. I then divide the trip odometer number by the exact amount it took to fill the tank.

I am not expecting gas mileage miracles, but it would be nice to average 35 mpg. I do about 70% highway and 30% city. I am wondering how much the high revs at 80 mph will hurt my highway numbers. That will be a seperate test down the line, once the car has about 5000 or 6000 miles on it.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:50 PM
I filled the tank to the brim drove 150 miles, filled it to the brim again, drove another 150 filled it again to the brim again and divided 300 mi by the gallons it took. I am taking it very easy on the engine as it breaks in, never over 3500 rpm, mostly rural driving , maybe 10% city, but using lower gears to climb hills. I live at the top of a 1000 ft hill. So the average includes maybe 5 trips up and down over this interval. The tires are all at 44 psi, My Insight has trained mw well in how to get great mileage - from april to nov i will never drop below 70 mpg on any tank.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:21 PM
45 mpg is encouraging. Should get better as it breaks in. I would think that 50 mpg could be reached with constant speeds of 60 mph and no hills or stopping.

I am still really curious about all highway driving at 75 mph or so. How much do the revs hurt the mileage?

Old 04-23-2006, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DRum
45 mpg is encouraging. Should get better as it breaks in. I would think that 50 mpg could be reached with constant speeds of 60 mph and no hills or stopping.

I am still really curious about all highway driving at 75 mph or so. How much do the revs hurt the mileage?
I plan to be able to tell you. Most of my driving being highway around 80 mph, I should be a good candidate for this test!

Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Here is my story. I picked up my honda fit manual with 4 miles on the odometer. I drove 150 miles on interstate hiway then I did some around town stop and go driving. I shut it down for an hour and did some more around town driving. I burned less than 5 US gallons of gas and the the product of the figures was 37.5 mpg. I assume that the dealer filled the gas tank till it stopped. When I put gas in the fit it appeared to be near a half empty tank and I filled it until the nozel stopped. I will keep doing this consecutively and make notes. I am sure others will be interested in any changes in my findings... I have had the car three days now and have put near 300 miles on the car. I looks like I am not at a half tank yet. Of course the car had a full tank when I picked it up and I have only added less then 5 u.s. gallons of gas.
Tell us what you think of this post and how it compairs to your findings.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by big Fit
I am sure others will be interested in any changes in my findings...
Very! Please do continue to keep us apprised of your mileage experience and your other thoughts on the car -- and congrats on your new Fit!

Old 04-25-2006, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
... I have had the car three days now and have put near 300 miles on the car. I looks like I am not at a half tank yet. Of course the car had a full tank when I picked it up and I have only added less then 5 u.s. gallons of gas.
Unfortunately, it seems most cars these days have gas tanks that must be shaped like wine glasses. The first half makes you think you could drive forever, then the second half just *poof* disappears.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Sport MT,
First tank - 32.5 mpg, 60% highway speeds (back roads though) 40% tooling around town.
Second tank - 31 mpg, all hard city driving.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:55 PM
I got 36.5 mpg on my 174 mile trip from the dealer running 75-80 mph with hills and twisties, had a ball.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Here is my story. I picked up my honda fit manual with 4 miles on the odometer. I drove 150 miles on interstate hiway then I did some around town stop and go driving. I shut it down for an hour and did some more around town driving. I burned less than 5 US gallons of gas and the the product of the figures was 37.5 mpg. I assume that the dealer filled the gas tank till it stopped. When I put gas in the fit it appeared to be near a half empty tank and I filled it until the nozel stopped. I will keep doing this consecutively and make notes. I am sure others will be interested in any changes in my findings... I have had the car three days now and have put near 300 miles on the car. I looks like I am not at a half tank yet. Of course the car had a full tank when I picked it up and I have only added less then 5 u.s. gallons of gas.
just a follow up. I just recorded 33.4 mpg all city/urban driving. does any one know what the likely hood of geting better mpg in the future? I know that some cars of the same make just do much better then others... thanks.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm at 2100km and am sitting at 39mpg, 90% light city driving. I using the USA gallon.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Daņiel
I'm at 2100km and am sitting at 39mpg, 90% light city driving. I using the USA gallon.

Drooool!!!

Old 04-28-2006, 02:26 PM
I pulled 650km from my last tank, 650km = 400.9 miles

Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I filled the tank to the brim drove 150 miles, filled it to the brim again, drove another 150 filled it again to the brim again and divided 300 mi by the gallons it took. I am taking it very easy on the engine as it breaks in, never over 3500 rpm, mostly rural driving , maybe 10% city, but using lower gears to climb hills. I live at the top of a 1000 ft hill. So the average includes maybe 5 trips up and down over this interval. The tires are all at 44 psi, My Insight has trained mw well in how to get great mileage - from april to nov i will never drop below 70 mpg on any tank.
I reread this. Can u recalculate? ur method is very risky way of calculating. u should just fill it, reset the meter, drive a full tank, then fill it, and divide the number on the mile thingy with the gallons. If u drive 150 (whch i assume is half a tank) its not good math cuz the gas tank meter is not accurate. I hope your number is accurate. Since you owned an insight manual, i asume u know of those hybrid driving techs.

BTW why switch to fit? insite too slow or no radio or air conditioning making drive boring and hot

Old 04-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gordio
I reread this. Can u recalculate? ur method is very risky way of calculating. u should just fill it, reset the meter, drive a full tank, then fill it, and divide the number on the mile thingy with the gallons. If u drive 150 (whch i assume is half a tank) its not good math cuz the gas tank meter is not accurate. I hope your number is accurate. Since you owned an insight manual, i asume u know of those hybrid driving techs.

BTW why switch to fit? insite too slow or no radio or air conditioning making drive boring and hot
I think he meant that he was noting down the amount of gallons it took to fill back up on the gas pump when he filled up. If he's exact about driving 150 miles, or noting odo/trip meter readings, his method and your method are equivalent on paper. I'm qualifying the equivalent with on paper, since as we know there are other factors, like different gas stations cutting off at different points, etc.

I think we'll see more reliable numbers aggregated over a number of tanks - I personally would like to see a 5- or 10-tank average as people put that many miles on their cars.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:45 AM
35 mph: like Car & Driver reported. Mine's with 70% city and 80+mph hwy.
Sport MT

Old 04-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Gas mileage

33.5 mpg at 65/35 split of Highway/City driving on a Manual S. This is with a/c on, a/c off, windows up/down, one warm-up due to frost and speeds of 35 to 75 mph.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:52 AM
first tank 45.7 second tank 45.2, 44 PSI all tires, never over 55 mph, lightfoot driving - mixed city and highway. No AC, no idling. Base MT 800 miles total now.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:36 AM
first tank 45.7 second tank 45.2, 44 PSI all tires, never over 55 mph, lightfoot driving - mixed city and highway. No AC, no idling. Base MT....
That's what I like to see! Something well above EPA ratings.

When I had my 88 dx accord mt coupe, which was rated at 27/32, I routinely got over 40 in mixed driving due to my very light foot and granny-like behaviors, insistence on coasting as much as possible, etc.

I am glad to see that you did so well. It gives me hope there there is the possibility to squeeze much more out of a given quantity of fuel for this Fit and similar mt cars. But I wonder if you did this with a Yaris or Echo with a 34 mpg city rating, would you be getting over 50 mpg in that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)