General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Storm Silver Sport Manual.
Here are my results after 4600 miles. My driving is 80% highway/20% city. Speeds on highway, on the high end, are 70-80mph. Speeds in the city average around 35mph. I've been averaging 34 mpg with sport/agressive driving. Just filled up this evening, my last tank I decided to drive conservatively to see how many miles I could get. I got 38 mpg on that tank. It was painful though. The Fit is not ment to be driven that way. It was hard sitting in the slow lane on the highway while everyone was zipping by. End of test, back to normal driving.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Storm Silver Sport Manual

First tank of gas driving 75% city/25% highway and I got 32.5 mpg, so I am pretty happy with this first tank.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:28 PM
MPG report

After having my Fit sport with M/T for about 3 weeks here is my MPG readings.

1st tank 35.22 mpg

2nd tank 35.81 mpg

3rd tank 36.73 mpg

This is all with various driving habits. (trying not to run the engine at a constant RPM) Once broke in I believe I will get a few more miles to the gallon. However a few days ago I was driving and it was like someone flipped a switch. The engine suddenly felt "more free". Its almost like a turbo charger was installed. Its more peppy, and I am sure I will get better gas mileage. It has around 800 miles on it right now.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
well, good luck for yall. i am not getting ne good mileage on my SSS m/t . i'm getting
City 21.36
HWY 27.64
I am so pi$$. Honda here in Cincy,ohio check it out. "nutting is wrong with it" dealer . Since its not running rich and their are not check engine light. everything is ok. BS. i called the manufacture they said i should take it to another dealer. i have 7765 miles on it. Honda and the EPA is a big CON. and the messup thing about it is that honda isn't going to do another about it. Ne advise.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by peego
well, good luck for yall. i am not getting ne good mileage on my SSS m/t . i'm getting
City 21.36
HWY 27.64
I am so pi$$. Honda here in Cincy,ohio check it out. "nutting is wrong with it" dealer . Since its not running rich and their are not check engine light. everything is ok. BS. i called the manufacture they said i should take it to another dealer. i have 7765 miles on it. Honda and the EPA is a big CON. and the messup thing about it is that honda isn't going to do another about it. Ne advise.
And with a M/T daaannnng. I would be fuming as well. I would certainly be hitting another dealership first chance I got. We all know the EPA is full of BS and the way they come up with their figures is unrealistic in real world use but this hit and miss mpg per vehicle is ridiculous.

Only suggestions I have that may or may not help are:
Try getting gas at a different gas station if you haven't tried that.
Run some Lucas Injector Cleaner thru it once or twice.
If you baby it, try running it like you stole it. It will either stay the same, improve or break. If it breaks it's under warranty and maybe they'll fix it and make it right.

Personally I would like for someone getting good mileage to be able to flash their ECU's memory onto the ECU of one that's not getting good mileage and see if that changes anything. Then at least we would know if it's in the ECU or if it's mechanical. Or however you put it if that was put incorrectly.

Originally Posted by eGadgetGeek
It's probably for the better that I don't receive it until Monday. The wife would probably shoot me if I were to spend time installing it instead of spending quality family time during the holiday weekend.
Yeah otherwise you may have to sleep in the car...lol.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Great gas mileage so far

I've been reading this thread with interest and thought I might post some figures. I recently did a 500km trip travelling about 120-130km/h.

On outgoing leg: 7.8L/100km (solo)
On return leg: 7.6L/100km (three people, plus significant amount of luggage)

This is on par with what was advertised. So far so good on my M/T SSM sport.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I'm at 9800 miles. I keep expecting it to increase, but I've been pretty constant at 35 mpg. That's about 50/50 city/highway. I guess that puts me right in the middle.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Sport manual. Miles so far -13,284
Cumulative mpg since purchase (5/29/06) new -37.4
85% Highway Miles.

Last edited by straylit; 01-22-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Fit Sport Mileage

I have a Fit Sport with and manual transmission and typically get 30-34 in the city and 36-40 on the highway. Mileage seems a little lower in the winter. I have gotten as low as 27, but have only been below 30 mpg a couple of times in the 6 months I have owned the car. One of these occurred the first time I filled the gas tank. The manual transmission is wonderful -- smooth as silk.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
most efficient place in each gear?

With a MT, each gear has a place of maximum efficiency, with the most torque/per throttle. This mph speed might not necessarily mean the lowest rpm. Does anyone know the ideal mph for each gear of the Fit's MT?

Last edited by jkandell; 01-25-2007 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
I did a trip to palm springs this weeken. 4 passengers. me, wife, and 2 kids. averaged 39 mpg @ 75-77 mph with a/c. I am absoloutely satisfied with my car. Not to mention i still average 33 mpg in stop and go traffic to and from work 5 days a week. Sport MT

Old 02-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Nothing NEW

Originally Posted by BKKJack
Unfortunately, it seems most cars these days have gas tanks that must be shaped like wine glasses. The first half makes you think you could drive forever, then the second half just *poof* disappears.
Hell, that's been true since the "muscle cars" back in the 60's! Always stays on full longer then drops like a rock! Not a new trend at all............

Old 02-11-2007, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
23 MPG first tank

23 MPG with on the first tank with my Sport MT.

I was not lead-footing it, but there were some mitigating circumstances besides the break-in period. My commute is two miles, and the temperature here in Chicago has averaged about zero degrees farenheit in the morning. There were a couple of longer trips on that first tank, but for the most part the car barely had time to warm up before the end of each commute.

I hope these initial conditions aren't harming the long term performance of my new Fit. I let the engine run a minute or two before driving, but I take off before the green "cold" light goes away.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
record mpg

My base 5 speed fit had a record 46.4 mpg hwy and consecutivly did at least 38 on the hwy. In fact it did 38 mpg for the drive home from the dealer.
I have a hunch that the base fits have a better chance for the record....

A side point about the AC subject that comes up is dont forget the Fit has an electric power steering pump. Does that make sense?

That is thinking out of the box.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Smile Mileage Update: Last Tank 36.355 MPG / Lifetime 37.233 MPG

Hello all,

It's been quite a while since I posted here.

I still love my Fit and it's running perfectly. I've had 2 oil changes done at the dealer so far and it now has ~16,500 miles on the odometer.

My gas mileage has dropped a little because of much colder weather. I know that it increases the oil viscosity and air friction, and reduces the tire pressure which all adversely affect the mileage. I was getting better mileage in the summer when I was using the a/c!

I did take a long trip in January. It was 2 tanks round trip:

Miles: 697.1
Gallons: 18.0
Mileage: 38.741 MPG

That included some fast driving (70-75 MPH) through the mountains with elevation changes of ~5000 feet.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Fit. I'm at a point now that I can tell this car will hold up very well with proper care and maintenance.

Cheers!

Old 02-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by ten_year_man
23 MPG with on the first tank with my Sport MT.

I was not lead-footing it, but there were some mitigating circumstances besides the break-in period. My commute is two miles, and the temperature here in Chicago has averaged about zero degrees farenheit in the morning. There were a couple of longer trips on that first tank, but for the most part the car barely had time to warm up before the end of each commute.
In that case I'd say you are getting exceptionally good milleage. You've just about described worse case scenario.

<eco rant warning>Why do you have to drive two miles to work? A fit adult can walk that in twenty minutes. I could walk it in fifteen without straining myself (I do a 4 mile walk in my lunch break and have 15 minutes left to rest at the end)</eco rant warning>

I hope these initial conditions aren't harming the long term performance of my new Fit. I let the engine run a minute or two before driving, but I take off before the green "cold" light goes away.
Hard to say. You are describing very cold conditions. From looking on the web it seems that opinion varies but that below a certain point it may make sense. Either way if the cold light is on you should probably be gentle with it

Note:Hmmm. I've tried not to sound like a nagging eco-warrior here but might have failed. I hope you can take my comments in the spirit of friendly suggestion as they are intended.

Last edited by AndrueC; 02-19-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:23 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by AndrueC
Originally Posted by ten_year_man
My commute is two miles, and the temperature here in Chicago has averaged about zero degrees farenheit in the morning.
<eco rant warning>Why do you have to drive two miles to work? ... I could walk it in fifteen without straining myself
Through snow, at -18°C? I advise you not to place any bets.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by kps
Through snow, at -18°C? I advise you not to place any bets.
Through snow, at -18°C, with gusting winds up to 30mph or better. Wear a hat. Or two.

Why not? I do it, and I'm middle-aged and squishy. The choice is pretty straightforward for me -- I can walk an almost straight line from home to work or drive a far longer, winding route that takes just as long and costs extra for the parking.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by amesnatlzoo
Through snow, at -18°C, with gusting winds up to 30mph or better. Wear a hat. Or two.

Why not? I do it, and I'm middle-aged and squishy. The choice is pretty straightforward for me -- I can walk an almost straight line from home to work or drive a far longer, winding route that takes just as long and costs extra for the parking.
Heh, well yeah. -18c is fair enough excuse I suppose at the moment. As for the rest..I'm 40 next week and can walk 4 miles in less than an hour

Old 02-19-2007, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
I suggest, by so much talking about walking we also should consider to calculate our average mpb (miles per bottle of beer) usage!

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)