General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AndrueC
I could walk it in fifteen without straining myself (I do a 4 mile walk in my lunch break and have 15 minutes left to rest at the end)</eco rant warning>
When the weather is better I do sometimes walk to work. However, my job takes me to our other facilty 25 miles away (round trip) a couple times a week. Usually -- but not always -- I know in advance if I'll need to have my car with me.

By the way, you're pretty darn "fit" if you WALK 2 miles in 15 minutes. That's 8 miles per hour, which for most people is a quick jog. A brisk walking pace gets me to work in a half hour.

Eco-wise, a major factor for choosing the Fit was gas mileage even though I put less than 6000 miles a year on my car. Since 1980 I've driven nothing but 4-cylinder 5-speed MT economy cars. Whenever a friend or co-worker buys a big pick-up truck or SUV for commuting, I always ask them if it gets good gas mileage (a joking attempt to lay a little guilt on them).

Old 02-24-2007, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DRum
What kind of gas mileage (or kilometerage) are people getting with their fits?

Please indicate transmission type, percent highway/city, and highway speed.

Thanks - I am curious to see how the Fit does compared to its EPA numbers. Some cars barely get the highway figure, and others are way over.
My wife typically gets close to 40mpg driving mixed highway/in town driving. It's a manual trans about 25%hwy, 75% in town.

I drove it a few days continually bouncing it off the limiter in the bottom 3 gears and got 20-25! (all city driving)

Last edited by Rick_a; 02-24-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by georgiapeech
Hell, that's been true since the "muscle cars" back in the 60's! Always stays on full longer then drops like a rock! Not a new trend at all............
Hey GeorgiaPeech! Fittmann here, just a little south of Atlanta! Just got my VBP Sport 5MT 2 days ago!!

Old 03-20-2007, 03:57 PM
I just bought my Manual/Base Fit a month ago. I have been averaging 37 miles per gallon, got 39 on one tank.

My question is this: At what speed is the best mileage achieved? I suspect it is about 60, but I have nothing to back this up currently except the "feel" of the car.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:02 PM
MPG observations

a little backround. I drive 370 miles one way to work (I only do this drive 4 times a month). This is all on I-95 with a few hills, some stop and go, and during winter and now spring temperatures. Altitude ranges from 160-20 ft above sea level. My observations were this:

Average speed between 60-70 gave me 36-38 mpg
average speed between 70-75 gave me 38-40 mpg
average speed between 75-80 gave me 42-43 mpg

I have the sport mt. I thought even though it cruised at a higher rpm it would suck down the gas, but these numbers don't lie. And yes, I have fueled to full, driven to almost empty, fueled to full etc... I have also done this drive several times and these numbers keep coming up. Hope this helps

Old 03-29-2007, 09:56 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by tight_fit
Average speed between 60-70 gave me 36-38 mpg
average speed between 70-75 gave me 38-40 mpg
average speed between 75-80 gave me 42-43 mpg
That does look a bit strange, unless you've been increasing speed as the weather gets warmer, car breaks in, etc. For maximum mileage, try 60mph uphill and 80mph downhill!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by kps
That does look a bit strange, unless you've been increasing speed as the weather gets warmer, car breaks in, etc. For maximum mileage, try 60mph uphill and 80mph downhill!
I agree, those numbers look a little weird. I hope its not true because it means there is something wrong with my fit. I used to travel to and from work a total of 2 hours a day freeway driving. I have a base manual and I would get on average 27 to 30mpgs per tank that I would fill up every other day. I drove a consistant 80 mph every tank for 300 miles and never saw anything near 35mpg.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
With Mods like intake cat back exhaust and a lightweight crank pulley, I get with mostly city some highway 28mpg, if I drive it like a grandma I can get 33mpg. So Gas mileage definately goes down with mods! BUt I love the power so I'll take the tad bit less MPG on gas!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by gettinafit
With Mods like intake cat back exhaust and a lightweight crank pulley, I get with mostly city some highway 28mpg, if I drive it like a grandma I can get 33mpg. So Gas mileage definately goes down with mods! BUt I love the power so I'll take the tad bit less MPG on gas!
If you don't mind extremely hot weather, you can modify your car to be both faster and get better mileage j/k

Old 04-06-2007, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
5000 mile report

My manual sport FIT just turned 5000 miles yesterday, so time for an update on fuel mileage. Worst tank was 34.8 mpg this winter during the cold and snowy spell with the manditory ethonol in the gas. Best tank was 42.1 mpg during a road trip in eastern Colorado. Overall average since day 1 is 37.7 mpg. I run 37 psi in the tires, but otherwise it is stock. Try to drive "sensibly". I also use 85 octane gas due to the altitude here. The 5000 miles includes two short road trips, but vast majority of it is suburban/city driving here in Boulder/Longmont area. I'm down to 20% on the oil reminder so will soon be doing my first oil change - going with Mobil 1 synthetic. I am VERY happy with my FIT and the gas mileage I'm getting!

Old 04-06-2007, 08:00 PM
40 mpg - finally!

Got 40 mpg (US gallons) on my last tank of gas. Light foot, average speed 55mph. Had been getting 30-35 through the winter using defroster, etc.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by justapg
Got 40 mpg (US gallons) on my last tank of gas. Light foot, average speed 55mph. Had been getting 30-35 through the winter using defroster, etc.
For many americans (not sure about canadians) but driving that slow is not a good way to save gas, cuz people will honk at you. Even cops might arrest you. The slowest u can go w/o traffic is probably 65mph in the slow lane. The stares u get for driving 55mph isn't worth great mileage haha.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Don't believe Gordio...Most times you can AVERAGE 55MPH. Traffic congestion will make you drive a bit slower & good flowing traffic will let you drive a bit faster. My little 4 sp. 1988 Ford Festiva averaged 45MPG w/highway high of 53MPG & I don't slow cars behind me to the extent they have heart attacks. I keep out of the way of fast drivers, but I don't care when they occasionally have to slow down to the speed limit. This planet is in crisis because vehicle owners in our culture don't care about the planet. I say VEHICLE owners because many modes of transport are way too big for the single driver they're transporting... the 10MPG Hummers, 8 passenger Explorers, & big SUVs. Its really too bad that people who do care about the planet will be suffering with the uncaring people that cause the precipitous crisis in our climate, & societies. But don't think the uncaring big vehicle leadfooters will place the blame on themselves, but they will be the ones to cry the most about polluters. If someone can only conduct their lives to their satisfaction by continually overspeeding in oversized vehicles, they are not PROPERLY conducting their lives.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
I might as well input my stories (even though this website is 98% USDM users and no doubt this post will be ignored but I shall gloat on my high mileage!)

My highest ever figure was going from Manchester to London (which is roughly 250 miles) and I managed to average 56.1mpg (which is 5.1mpg more than stated figures on Honda UK) and it only took half a tank of petrol. (Full tank is like 30litres)

But city driving, I usually get around 44-46mpg (depending on how civilised I drive it).

But do bear in mind I am driving the L12A iDSi engine. So can't really compare.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by kentris
I managed to average 56.1mpg (which is 5.1mpg more than stated figures on Honda UK)
Keep in mind that most people here are using those undersized US gallons (invented because no one could stand a full pint of American beer) and would call this 46.7mpg. Still good for a high-speed trip where drag really hurts. With the L15A VTEC I think this is only achievable on secondary roads (50 - 55mph).

Old 04-09-2007, 05:05 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by johnson@crocker.com
First 300 miles with Basic MT avg is 45.7 mpg. light traffic, hypermiling, nothing over 65 mph, hilly, but light footed.
i wnat you to know that i love you <3

Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by kentris
I might as well input my stories (even though this website is 98% USDM users and no doubt this post will be ignored but I shall gloat on my high mileage!)

My highest ever figure was going from Manchester to London (which is roughly 250 miles) and I managed to average 56.1mpg (which is 5.1mpg more than stated figures on Honda UK) and it only took half a tank of petrol. (Full tank is like 30litres)

But city driving, I usually get around 44-46mpg (depending on how civilised I drive it).

But do bear in mind I am driving the L12A iDSi engine. So can't really compare.
Who told you cause you're a Brit you have no place in a predominantly North American forum US, Canada, UK, just one team for better or worse, especially after 9/11

What car you're driving that has just a 30-liter tank? I was able to get 45 liters in my Fit, the gas station ran out of 89 and 91 gas so their 91 (premium) was sold at the very same price as regular so I filled-up as much was possible... in the city, Toronto, I get about 25 mpg, you said 44-46 mpg, I think you're using the British mile different than the US mile... but out of curiosity, at what speed you're getting that 56 mpg on the freeway, with my 5AT Sport Fit, Ottawa back to Toronto, late evening, the 401 freeway mostly empty, 450 km, cruise control on 120 km/h and I got 7L/100km (35 mpg)...
And no idea about that type of engine, is it a small one?
Chris

Old 04-13-2007, 02:46 AM
I have noticed the same thing with mine. I average about 37-38 in solid city freeway driving with long standstill traffic patterns mixed in. If I go 70 to 75 it seems to get better mpg than if I try and keep it below 60. Kind of weird considering the low red line. I am very impressed with the gas mileage though and I am soooo happy I bought the manual!

Old 04-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by litesong
Don't believe Gordio...Most times you can AVERAGE 55MPH. Traffic congestion will make you drive a bit slower & good flowing traffic will let you drive a bit faster. My little 4 sp. 1988 Ford Festiva averaged 45MPG w/highway high of 53MPG & I don't slow cars behind me to the extent they have heart attacks. I keep out of the way of fast drivers, but I don't care when they occasionally have to slow down to the speed limit. This planet is in crisis because vehicle owners in our culture don't care about the planet. I say VEHICLE owners because many modes of transport are way too big for the single driver they're transporting... the 10MPG Hummers, 8 passenger Explorers, & big SUVs. Its really too bad that people who do care about the planet will be suffering with the uncaring people that cause the precipitous crisis in our climate, & societies. But don't think the uncaring big vehicle leadfooters will place the blame on themselves, but they will be the ones to cry the most about polluters. If someone can only conduct their lives to their satisfaction by continually overspeeding in oversized vehicles, they are not PROPERLY conducting their lives.
what crisis are you taking about? who appointed you to decide what vehicles we should drive? please let me judge whether you are conducting YOUR life in the proper manner to suit ME---

get over yourself-- are freedoms are fading away fast because of people with your mindset---

Old 04-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by sr71gn
what crisis are you taking about? who appointed you to decide what vehicles we should drive? please let me judge whether you are conducting YOUR life in the proper manner to suit ME---

get over yourself-- are freedoms are fading away fast because of people with your mindset---
A friendly advice my fellow Fit driver and American friend, be aware that if you're not a liberal or a political correct type of person, anything you write down will be sent to the Off topic discussion/Wasteland, please check the thread Speeding and Lane Discipline to understand what I'm talking about...
Take care now
Chris

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)