General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.
View Poll Results: Your lifelong fuel economy figures on your MT fits
<23 MPG
1.21%
24-26 MPG
1.21%
27-29 MPG
5.70%
30-32 MPG
16.58%
33-35 MPG
33.16%
36-38 MPG
25.22%
39-41 MPG
10.54%
41-43 MPG
3.80%
>43 MPG
2.59%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

MT Fuel Economy Poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
Beyond exspectations

As stated in my previous post I drive 80% highway 20% city on mostly flat terrain.
After 2126 miles using 51.97 gallons = 40.9 MPG I am more than pleased.
I have the base model 5 speed transmission, shift at 3 grand and seldom go over 65.
The in car MPG indicator is constantly off 8 MPG, not a very good indication of true MPG.
JAREW
PS. Coverking neoprene seat covers are great and look very good

Old 01-13-2010, 10:46 PM
i get like 28-30 all city every tank

Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
on my trip from key west to orlando then back to key west i averaged around 33 each way, not including city driving while there. i expected higher numbers but im assuming that because i was running at around 3500 rpms it brought it down.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
I just measured 37.64 MPG today doing 90% city and 10% highway driving. I'm pleased with that, especially since the best I ever measured doing 100% highway with my 1994 Sentra SE-R 2.0 liter, 5 speed manual was 35 MPG

Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
cant wait for some good gas MPG

Old 08-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Have you guys noticed a gas mileage differnce with weather changes?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Of course... Warm weather always improves fuel economy. Cold temps destroy it.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 PM
i was getting around 30 mpg, than i changed the air filter as the car recomended now im seeing around 37, my filter was pretty dirty. i would recommend changening it earlier than what the service manual states

Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AshtonatBL
Have you guys noticed a gas mileage differnce with weather changes?
It depends on how long you warm engine but until October 15 your mileage should go up because of cooler denser air which will produce more horsepower. Just hope they dont raise the ethanol to 15 percent in October. heres a link Ethanol Free Premium Coalition

Old 08-18-2010, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
I generally get 8% to 10% better mileage during the colder months than when it is hot.. A lot of the reason has to do with what Silver Bullet said about air density and of course not having to run the A/C... Engine and transaxle oil thickens and fuel mixture is richer during warm up of cold engines when temperatures are low so it is a good idea to not let your car sit long enough for the engine to cool down to the ambient temperature and have to go through a complete warm up cycle more than you absolutely have to... I know that if my driving wasn't on rural roads with little traffic and miles between stop signs I wouldn't have the kind of good fuel mileage that I do compared to someone that drives in city traffic every day...

Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
No that is not true at all. Colder air requires more fuel injected to maintain a stoichiometric mix. And due to its density it is harder for the car to push through.

Of course Texas cold isn't cold.
Take a look at the chart for my Fit:

And for my Ford Escape:

As you can see, *real* cold weather like we have in PA destroys fuel economy in the coldest months.

More:
A random driver from Vermont:

Here is a driver from SoCal, where temps are more consistent so is mileage:

One Final example, a Fit from Ohio. again Cold temps = big mileage hit.

Last edited by RichXKU; 08-18-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
If you were to think about it for a second or two you would realize that since the stoichiometric mixture is reached by adding more fuel to the denser air you would be using a lesser throttle opening to make the same amount of power... As for the Texas weather not getting cold, I an tell you have never been on the High Plains up in the northwest part of the Panhandle... We don't have all that much snow but the ice storms are something else...Right now a thunderstorm just rolled in and I might not be able to reach pavement to get to town. Have you considered that the winter fuel mixtures used in the area where you live might have some influence on the fuel mileage drop that you have up there?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
...But you wouldn't be using less throttle because the denser air requires more power to move the car through.

The charts are right there. Cold temps are worse no matter where you are.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
First air(oxygen,nitrogen and misc) is a gas, water is a vapor which is heavier that air. Higher humidity has more resistants than cooler air. If air gets denser so does the gasoline. Gasoline needs to vaporized so less fuel is need because its denser. How come racers times are higher in the cooler temps and the API set the temp at 60 degrees. The season change in gasoline does not happen until Oct. 15, Dec15 March 15 and May 15. They take out the aromatic for butanes. Because the fuel gets so dense that it is heavier and the car cant adjust to it. Your car produces more horsepower and you just enjoy that, plus school started and traffic is worse. I agree that mileage drop in extreme cold but that because more gas is need to produce heat. I believe we have 15 percent ethanol already since 2008 or so, thats another reason mileage is not consistent.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
No we are absolutely not at E15. In the US it is E10 max. The corn lobby is trying to get E15, it was shot down, and they are trying again for E12. Hopefully it gets refused again.

I'm really not sure what you are trying to argue here, but the facts are clear. If you live in a cold weather state, you will absolutely get worse mileage in the winter, period.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RichXKU
No we are absolutely not at E15. In the US it is E10 max. The corn lobby is trying to get E15, it was shot down, and they are trying again for E12. Hopefully it gets refused again.

I'm really not sure what you are trying to argue here, but the facts are clear. If you live in a cold weather state, you will absolutely get worse mileage in the winter, period.
I hope that e15 doesn't happen but it was suppose to happen this summer and nothing happened yet so they say. They were suppose to amend Hours of service for the truck drivers by July and that hasn't happen yet either. When it does go to 15 percent we will see 50 posts a day about problems. My point is if your car is more efficient because of denser air,fuel then mileage will go up. Traffic has been bad the last few weeks because people are getting supplies and college and school started . Traffic has a huge impact on mileage and I am sure your car is more responsive and you drive a little faster to get around traffic.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RichXKU
...But you wouldn't be using less throttle because the denser air requires more power to move the car through.

The charts are right there. Cold temps are worse no matter where you are.
I don't have a problem with your charts one bit... Like you said about the differences in temperatures where I am located in relation to where you live there is a major difference in driving conditions... I have never had to put snow tires on a car or truck I have had to drive and at the same time it is almost impossible to not have the A/C on from April until late October and some times in March and November.... There is more distance to travel without turning off the engine and less start and stop traffic except in the large metropolitan areas like Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, San Antonio and Austin... We just tend to get better fuel mileage during the colder months.... I have been keeping up with fuel usage of my vehicles for over 30 years and it has always been better during the winter even in older cars without A/C .

Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
I said I agree with you in extreme cold. 60 degree will be the average temp for most of us until Oct.15 when they start blending winter gas in. Then your mileage will drop. It does matter where you live like you said, if you idle your car a lot mileage will go down. 0mpg is what you get for idling. Horsepower ratings and the temp of gas that comes out of the pump is supposed to be rated at 60 degrees. If you hear of a corrected reading that is to 60 degrees.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Spring and fall I see my best mileages, but it makes a huge difference too, where I buy my gas. I find Quik Trip gas to be one of the better buys. I keep my tires at 45 psi, and drive about 65 on the freeway and draft a truck when I can as long as it's not going over 70. I've gotten as high as 44 mpg but it's almost too much work, as I have a 30 mile commute that's all interstate. So I've been averaging close to 40 in decent weather and a little less in very cold or very hot weather.

I have 68,000 miles on my 08.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by storm88000
I posted this before but a guy I talked to at the Honda dealer said he got 50+ mpg on a long road trip.
I believe that person was lying to you! Recently I completed 2400 miles road trip and the most I've got was 40.1 miles per gallon and that was me driving like grandma. Getting 50+ miles per gallon just seems like a lie to me.

Quick Reply: MT Fuel Economy Poll